Nov 28, 2021, 04:31 PM
It started to snow.
Does anyone have snow skis for this model please?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2021, 11:15 AM

Maiden of Model C

All I can say now is it took off great and flew 3 minutes. During flight it was very stable with cg at recommendation. Plenty of power with 8040 propeller and 2212 1400kv motor.

Lost signal and crashed. Now doing 2nd airframe.
Last edited by cyclingbatman; Nov 29, 2021 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Nov 30, 2021, 06:33 AM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingbatman
Lost signal and crashed. Now doing 2nd airframe.
Sorry to hear. It was pretty to start with
Dec 06, 2021, 02:29 PM

Successful Maiden

This one went well. Four flights have been great. One not so lucky landing. Of the whole field I hit a small branch. Pic shows damage. Taped it over and it flew well. I used Polylite Pla-lw. It seems to take more hits with less damage. At this point I am not painting it. Maybe after a few more flights.

I have experience with damage with the other popular LW-Pla. Used it on 2 fuselages of the model A. It had constant cracking on tail on landing. Fixed it by adding carbon rod to outside bottom of tail.
Dec 10, 2021, 11:47 AM

Need of Cad File for Motor Mounts

I have built two. First red color plane crashed for transmitter interference. Second gray one has flown with great success.

A plus would have the cad file for motor mount available. It would help in my build. All plans should be made available in my opinion.

I modified the Model A mount using stl. It was not easy but results helped greatly.
Last edited by cyclingbatman; Dec 10, 2021 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Duplicate pics
Jan 05, 2022, 01:09 PM

Model C on skis

Model C on skis. Now we are waiting for the end of the snowfall for a test flight.
Jan 05, 2022, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclingbatman
I have built two. First red color plane crashed for transmitter interference. Second gray one has flown with great success.

A plus would have the cad file for motor mount available. It would help in my build. All plans should be made available in my opinion.

I modified the Model A mount using stl. It was not easy but results helped greatly.

The author refuses to edit the motor mount, so I doubt he will provide a STEP file to edit. That's stupid.
Jan 05, 2022, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by klf48
Model C on skis. Now we are waiting for the end of the snowfall for a test flight.
I've also put my MC on a pair of skis. I simply swapped the wheels for the skis. And that was the crucial mistake. I didn't realize, that the end of the 8*6 prop will get dangerously close to the ground. As soon as the plane gained speed and the tail went up, the prop hit a small chunk of ice and that was the end... Just saying...
Jan 05, 2022, 11:33 PM

Taking some time but progress is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky guy
Starting down this road. I call it the Model Sea. I designed an adapter and some new float struts to connect the model T floats to the C. It'll be several weeks at least of waiting for supplies, printing, and building before I get to test it all out. If it works, I'll post the files for the struts and adapters to Thingaverse.
It's been a slow process as I haven't had much time to devote to it, but my MC Float version is coming along. I increased the rudder area by about 20%, will be adding 94mm to the wingspan and a little bit to the horizontal stabilizer span to lighten the wing loading and improve stability with the floats. The floats are made from Inland tough PLA, the rest is ColorFab LWPLA.
Last edited by sky guy; Jan 09, 2022 at 09:35 AM.
Jan 06, 2022, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigleach
Hello,

I've just started printing my MC using the supplied gcode files. The parts are printing fine but they are very thin walls. This is my first time using LW-PLA from eSun. I'm not sure if these parts are too thin. The wingtips have some very thin areas that look like holes. Does anyone have target weights for the parts? I'm thinking of switching to slicing the parts with Cura and see what the strength is. I'm concerned of reports that I have read of wing failures in flight.

Craig
I would sacrifice one of the wing sections, cut it open, and measure the wall thickness with calipers. When I do that, I get 0.55mm when slicing with Cura using a .25mm layer height, 0.4mm wall thickness setting, 0.4mm nozzle, 53% flow, rate, 235C nozzle temp., and ColorFab LWPLA. Shine a flashlight through the part to look for thin areas or weak layers.
Jan 07, 2022, 04:50 AM
French flyer !!
Like I posted on the Esun PLA LW Topic, I think with same extrusion this one make thinner walls.
To have same walls, with same heat, you need 55% extrusion on ColorFabb and 70% on Esun. And you'll get about same weight.

This piece is Eclipson Model A "Fus 4". Good test.

I have the best results with ColorFabb at 230/235 deg. If higher, sometimes the piece doesn't get close at the carbon spar place.
Jan 09, 2022, 03:24 PM
Spent too much time today designing some different-looking exhaust stacks for the Model C. These are based on the full-scale Pilatus Porter exhaust system. The shape is asymetric because on the Pilatus the left stack is angled downward a bit and the right stack is angled slightly upward. Feel free to use the STL if you wish. Just place the outer oval-shaped opening down on the print bed in your slicer and run two walls, no bottom, and 1 top. I used Colorfab white LWPLA, and colored with bronze Sharpie Marker.
Last edited by sky guy; Jan 09, 2022 at 08:04 PM.
Jan 23, 2022, 07:50 PM

Steering for sea, air, and land

All control rods are carbon. Water rudder and linkage are easily removable for operations on snow with floats or on dry land with wheels. Air rudder is enlarged for greater yaw stability with floats.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/765790...blic/lightbox/
Jan 27, 2022, 10:48 PM

Just some build progress shots

Needs electronics install. Time is tight so just doing a little bit each day. Wingspan increased by 10%, Horizontal stab span increased by 15%. Rudder area increased by about 15%. LWPLA, carbon push rods, composite steel wire and carbon landing gear struts.
Feb 06, 2022, 07:14 PM
Some landings and takeoffs from maiden flight day. It flies very nicely. After ten or so landings on the chunky, icy, snow, I had developed a 2cm long crack between layer lines in the bottom of one of the floats. This was repaired quickly with CA and should not be an issue when setting down on water or less icy snow. It was extremely well behaved using the Eclipson recommended control throws.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/765790...blic/lightbox/

Quick Reply