Insta360/BetaFPV SMO 4K Action Cam

Breaking news from a collaboration with Insta360 and BetaFPV. They have teamed up to create a new action camera that records quality 4K video with a lightweight body that is easy to use.

Splash

Ultralight Action Cam for FPV

Breaking news from a collaboration with Insta360 and BetaFPV. They have teamed up to create a new action camera that records quality 4K video with a lightweight body that is easy to use. Check out the press release below. This is an exciting announcement for cinewhoop pilots!

SMO 4K is an ultralight action cam designed for mounting on an FPV drone or plane. Weighing in at just 30 grams and shaped like a credit card, the camera is stripped back to include just a 4K wide-angle lens and a processing core, powered by an FPV battery.

SMO 4K is developed by FPV drone company BETAFPV using Insta360 technology. The camera is backed up with Insta360’s FlowState stabilization, allowing FPV pilots to get ultra-smooth video using Insta360’s mobile app and desktop software.

SMO 4K is available to order today via Insta360. BETAFPV’s new Beta95X V3 cinewhoop quadcopter is also available for purchase.

Ultralight, stripped-back design.

The average action cam weighs over 100 grams. That may not seem like much—until you mount it on a tiny FPV drone that weighs just 100 grams itself. SMO 4K’s streamlined design keeps the camera’s weight to just 30 grams, allowing you to fly faster, longer and do more maneuvers.

For years, DIY demons in the FPV community have been re-engineering old action cameras and making them more lightweight for FPVs. Now SMO 4K offers an out-of-the-box solution for FPV pilots who want to step up their FPV content without the hassle.

4K ultra-wide angle shots.

Although all FPV drones are mounted with a camera for sending a live video feed, these cameras often cap out at about 1080p resolution. With an action camera, you can shoot 4K wide angle video with greater detail, smoother stabilization and better dynamic range.

SMO 4K shoots 4K footage with a new ultra-wide FOV option in Insta360 Studio that removes distortion from your shots. Meanwhile, a 100Mbps bitrate and H.265 encoding deliver crisp details.

Stabilized for FPVs.

The most fun part about flying FPVs is all the flips, rolls and acrobatic stunts you can do with the drone. But these maneuvers can also be a challenge for image stabilization algorithms to handle, often leaving you with shaky footage.

SMO 4K is backed up with Insta360’s proprietary FlowState stabilization algorithm, using the Insta360 app or desktop Studio software. FlowState will keep your shots so smooth, you’ll be able to fly to your heart’s desire.

Ready to mount.

The SMO 4K camera can be easily mounted on a variety of FPV drones including cinewhoops, 3-4” ducted quads, 4-5” long range FPVs and fixed wing FPVs.

Coinciding with the launch of SMO 4K is the launch of the new Beta95X V3 cinewhoop quadcopter. This drone has a built-in mount for the SMO 4K camera for easy out-of-the-box installation. Plus, its “pusher-style” inverted frame maintains a low center of gravity and makes the drone easier to maneuver.

If you’ve already got your own FPV, STL files are also available to 3D print your own mount.

Plug-in and control.

The camera comes with a 6V to 27V power connector that supports 2S to 6S LiPo FPV batteries. Just plug in and go. You can also connect the camera to your radio controller to start and stop recording remotely without having to stop flying.

No more jello effect.

One of the challenges of shooting cinematic FPV footage is the “jello effect”, or having strong vibrations in your video. To help combat this, SMO 4K comes with an ND16 filter in the box which gives you more natural motion blur in bright conditions. Meanwhile, a UV filter is also included which can double as a lens protector during your flights.

Get flying.

SMO 4K is available globally starting today at Insta360.com and retails for $239.99. A Get-Set Kit is also available, which includes the camera and the Beta95X V3 cinewhoop quadcopter.

Key Specifications:

• Weight: 30g (1.06oz)
  • Dimensions (WxHxD): 61.5×39.4×29.2mm (2.42x1.55x1.15in)
  • Power supply range: 6V-27V (compatible with 2S-6S Li-Po FPV battery)
  • Aperture: F2.8
  • 35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 16.4mm
  • Video Resolution: [email protected]/25/30fps, [email protected]/25/30/60fps, [email protected]/25/30/60/100fps, [email protected]/25/30/60/120/200fps
  • Video Format: mp4
  • Video Coding: H.264, H.265
  • Video Modes: Normal, HDR, Timelapse, TimeShift, Basic stabilization (in-camera), Pro stabilization (export with Insta360 app/Studio to apply FlowState stabilization)
  • Max. Bitrate: 100Mbps
  • Bluetooth: BLE4.0
  • Wi-Fi: 5G (standard range approx. 2m)
  • Micro SD card: UHS-I V30 speed class, exFAT format SD cards with a max storage of 1T are recommended.
  • Use Environment: -20°C to 40°C (-4°F to 104°F)
  • Color: Black and Red

Check out the new Camera at Insta360

Last edited by Jason Cole; Jan 07, 2021 at 11:20 AM..
Dec 18, 2020, 11:44 AM
Suspended Account
Price???
Dec 18, 2020, 12:00 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
It's listed in the article above at $239.99.
Dec 20, 2020, 03:44 PM

Camera

How durable is this camera in a high impact crash? In my opinion. I think if you manufacture a camera for FPV. It should be built to with stand crashes. What’s the point of spending lots of money for a camera. Does anybody now if this camera is durable?
Dec 20, 2020, 07:43 PM
I don't see anything about video out. Would be a nice replacement for RunCam 2 if it had that.
Dec 21, 2020, 09:23 AM
I have a question about the Beta95X V3 Whoop Quadcopter. On there website they say it has a HD Digital VTX. I like to know is it the Caddx Vista? They don't say and for $279.99 I hope it is.
Dec 21, 2020, 05:36 PM
They use Caddx Nebula Nano camera with the Vista unit which is quite a lot worse than the DJI FPV camera in term of picture quality.

I would wait a bit to see if there will be a Nebula Pro Nano version in the near future as the new 19mm Caddx Nebula Pro picture quality is similar to the DJI Camera.

I hope there will be a Caddx Nebula Pro Nano for the micro builder/flyer as I would not accept the current Nebula Nano for the money.
Dec 21, 2020, 05:55 PM
Well, it figures that after i had bought a GoPro 9 and later a Insta360 One R Twin, that another new camera would come out.
Dec 25, 2020, 04:30 PM
Dose the camera have durability in an FPV crash? Not good if you crash and break the camera there goes your hard earned $$$$$. Please post on you thoughts.....
Dec 25, 2020, 05:29 PM
It won't stand up to high speed FPV crashes. It is similar to DIY Naked Go Pro ( 25+ g instead of 119g) and the whole point of this camera is to get high quality footage from a light weight camera so the micro quad /smaller cinewhoop can carry it.

You sacrifice durability to save the weight. If you are going to repeatedly crash it , this is not the camera for it.
Last edited by jasperfpv; Dec 25, 2020 at 09:09 PM.
Dec 25, 2020, 10:14 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperfpv
It won't stand up to high speed FPV crashes. It is similar to DIY Naked Go Pro ( 25+ g instead of 119g) and the whole point of this camera is to get high quality footage from a light weight camera so the micro quad /smaller cinewhoop can carry it.

You sacrifice durability to save the weight. If you are going to repeatedly crash it , this is not the camera for it.
Exactly. This is the perfect camera to put on a lightweight LR 4" quad to get cinematic shots, without worrying about the hassle of buying a used GoPro, and then praying that the BetaFPV naked gopro board mod goes well. A lot of people have gotten burned going that route, so it's nice to see Insta360 catering to something specifically for FPV.
Dec 27, 2020, 07:42 PM
That's what I thought....Thanks
Dec 31, 2020, 05:07 PM
What's the all-up-weight of the frame/fpv camera/insta camera, and 4s 450mah battery?

Just wondering if it comes in under 250 grams.

Thanks.
Jan 17, 2021, 05:57 PM
Kinda old thread now, but I just picked one up. Video quality is good, took me a while to figure out the insta360 studio software, and how FOV correlates to how much stabilization there is, but it looks great.

My only issue so far is it is NOT durable. I had a crash into dangling leaves that didnt even make me crash, and the power button is broken on the cam already. First time I even touched something with it. Lame. Gonna solder on a new button, and figure out some protection. Most videos online of people using this cam have no case or no protection on it, but even for 'cine' style flying, you may bump something and have the most gentle crash ever, but it can still break.

I will be finding a lightweight fully encasing solution to keeping this thing safe. It also gets pretty warm.

It's a fantastic camera, just don't crash, or wrap it in bubble wrap or something, yeesh.

-Mike
Jan 17, 2021, 08:24 PM
(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quote:
I will be finding a lightweight fully encasing solution to keeping this thing safe. It also gets pretty warm.
I'm interested in this as well. Keep us posted if you come up with something. I haven't bought the camera yet, but the size and capability seems great. I just doubted any kind of durability and your post confirms that. Surely there must be a way to protect this camera better where adding a little weight doesn't matter as much.

Quick Reply