Poway International Hand launch Glider Festival - RC Groups
Jun 02, 2005, 02:19 PM
Closed Account

Poway International Hand launch Glider Festival

So, whos all going?? im going to be there Saturday morning.. And im bringing a glider i just finished to show off in hopes of getting new orders for.

In regards to the new pods ive designed, and for all those on the waiting list for one, i have not forgotten about you. The Molds are almost complete just need to machine the Joggle and they will be produced shortly.. a couple more weeks..

Robert

p.s. here are some pics of the glider i will be bringing for display at Poway event.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2005, 04:17 PM
Info at: http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/IHLGF2005.htm

Note- Friday will feature a training session.

- Norm
Jun 02, 2005, 05:54 PM
Flying the Inland Valley
I'll be there for the training session.

Robert
Can we have some info about you plane. You know wing span, wt, $

Joe
Jun 02, 2005, 06:27 PM
I'm there Friday and Saturday... and maybe a bit on sunday too
Jun 02, 2005, 06:37 PM
I will drive from Santa Barbara tomorrow morning to join the Friday and Saturday section. Hope the weather will be good :O

-Kai
Jun 03, 2005, 06:35 AM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
Hi,

Yup, will be there. Just about to pull out now.
Taken the Flamingo, PII and an Xpona.
See ya.

Jared
Jun 03, 2005, 10:45 AM
Come out swinging

Me too

I'll be there, I'll be flying the glider that is always spec'ed out.

I might have some carbon covers too.

Sean
Jun 03, 2005, 03:28 PM
Closed Account
the pic i posted is of the last of the Pixel II glider i was making.. i have one more almost ready to go in kit form, then i will be moving on to a better plane called the Quantum which will be kind of like the Taboo GT, but cooler.. I will be selling the last Pixel II kit for aprox. $275.. The Pixel kit has a 345 sq in wing area and uses all the AG series of airfoils. it also uses a modified carbon pod. The tail feathers use the HT series of airfoils. The performance is excellent.. the gliders complete have been comming out to around 10.2 oz.. The glider has excellent launch and excellent penetration on windy days..
Jun 03, 2005, 03:41 PM
Closed Account

quantum

This is a pic of the quantum so far.. i just ordered the cores for it and will be putting together kits very soon.. this glider has a 350 sq in wing area. the projected wing loading is going to be around 3.9 oz per sq ft. which is really good.. i think the cores will be bagged with kevlar. the wing is a very simular planform to the supergee except it has a tripple taper. I know im going to be very happy with this new glider. i think it will do well.. it has a naturally occuring beauty to it as well..
Jun 04, 2005, 09:02 AM

Live report from San Diego?

Looks like the weather is off to a typical start for the festival.
Jun 4 06:45 a.m. PT
UV Index:0 Low
Wind: WNW at 7 mph
Humidity:82%
Pressure:29.90*in.
Dew Point:56F
Visibility:2.5 miles

Is anyone out there with a wireless set up to give us a blow by blow of the event?
Jun 04, 2005, 08:13 PM

IHL Poway

I was there this morning until the lunch break, the air was good and a handful of pilots had perfect scores in the first round with 3 3-minute flights in 10 seconds. I left to go fly the slope at Poway and the wind picked up about 12:30. Here's some photos I took
Jun 04, 2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the update Storhund are you going back tomorrow? Hopefully we will see some scores and more photos.
Jun 04, 2005, 11:46 PM
I left a little before Storhund, about 11:30. I'll see if I can dig my photos out.

Impressions: The clinic was very useful, demoralizing a bit when Phil B was demonstrating his launches. But we tried to get him thinking about his footwork, and just to show it wasn't all that important, he took only a 180 windup (no spin, or forward motion) and threw it darn near as high. Sigh. A real sidearm launch.

Impressions? Three or four fliers were consistently throwing 20 to 30 feet higher than the rest. Sort of hard to tell, because they weren't in the same flights, but that's my impression.

I was dumbfounded to watch Joe W in the first round. On the first flight, he took off for some houses a 1/4 mile away. No apparent reason to go over there. And of course, there was lift there.

ASK timing for his young son and coaching him thru the rounds.

How debonair Mark was throwing his SG. And how nice it (he) flies. But was that a moldie he was flying during testing?

The thunk that a glider makes coming rather straight down (Oleg?).

The number of juniors flying, and quite well too.

But loads and loads of fun. I didn't fly because of a shoulder problem, but certainly wont miss it next year.

Gary
Jun 05, 2005, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the news Gary!
I heard from our local boys that it was a good day indeed.
I understand that A rule that has changed has shook things up a bit. You must now be down at the buzzer at the end of round, or else you get a 50% penatly on that flight. Wow that could hurt but again ups the precision aspect of the contest.

I look for ward to hearing more from today.
------
Cliff Whitney
http://www.cliffwhitney.com
http://www.atlantahobby.com

When flying inverted remember, down is up and up is expensive!
Jun 05, 2005, 12:03 PM
Thats been the rule at Poway ever since I can remember

Quick Reply