This thread is privately moderated by BMatthews, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 10, 2020, 07:36 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
Discussion

Rudder Only Build with Trimming and Flying Hints

~Welcome to the 2021 and on Rudder Only Build (ROB) and Help Thread~

This thread is for registering your build choice and discussing rudder only trimming and flying. Hints on trimming and flying are high on the agenda but we're also looking for stories about RO flying.

The ROB project will run similarly to the other Vintage Theme Builds but with a few differences.

The big difference is that this project will not have a closing date. It will run for one year "Officially". At the end of that if things have gone quiet the main thread will slip away. but if it's still got lots of activity and roping in new participation it'll stay current.

If/when anyone wishes to participate with a build project please post a reply here about your build thread. I'll enter your project details add a hyperlink to your Build Thread in the Builder's List below.

Please also include "ROB" for Rudder Only Build in your thread titles for the build log thread to allow for easier searching for RO project threads later on.

In addition to that I welcome one and all to post information and hints about RO trimming, flying, equipment or just to reminisce about your RO flying.

Along the way there will also be a list of links added to this thread that connect to past RO related threads. If you have a favorite or two let me know. I may not find all of them with a couple of searches.

What is eligible for designs? Well this time it can be anything from any age or even an all new design as long as it's RO. The Vintage link here is the RO format for controlling the model. Few things yell out "VINTAGE" like flying RO. So while there's oodles of vintage RO designs out there if someone wants to make up a foam board something or other that is fully new then as long as the only moving control is the rudder then it's all good.

Start any time you like. No official start or end date this time around.

Builder's List for ROB
1- Alphawhiskey - Chatterbox diesel powered like his first one.
2- tshin-ho - Apollo originally published as a "tethered free flight" and now in foam for RO.
3- pulserudder - Guided Mite
4- Sundancer - Erk
5- Geoff Potter - Aeroflyte Invader
6- JeffMac - Live Wire Trainer
7- rdw777 - Footrot Flyer reduced to 20" span
7- Mike Denest - Sterling Mambo - 48" version from Lazer Works semi kit Rudder and throttle with .15 glow.
8- mlbco - Owen Kampen Skampy - old super-regen escapement vintage radio with .035 diesel power. Finished and flown with success!
9- SuperGlider07 - Miss Worlds Fair
10-TB - Don Srull Skipper - electric enlarged to 36" span Finished and flown with success!
11- Steve Moskal - Midwest Lil Esquire - slightly reduced in size to match to a Steven's Aero wing kit. Electric powered
Last edited by BMatthews; Apr 02, 2021 at 02:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2020, 07:43 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
From Pulserudder in the other thread.

Quote:
Here's a quick outerzone search for appropriate plans. Hope the link works. I'm sure there are more:

https://outerzone.co.uk/advanced/sea...annel&F2=Dscrp
A few multis snuck in but there's a LOT of RO goodness to browse through in that link.
Dec 10, 2020, 07:46 PM
Brighto?
I'm in with the 48 inch Mambo from a Lazer Works short kit. I'll have a thread up in about a week or so.
Dec 10, 2020, 08:25 PM
"if someone wants to make up a foam board something or other that is fully new then as long as the only moving control is the rudder then it's all good".

Bruce, c'est moi! Count me in.

Tet Shin
Dec 10, 2020, 09:24 PM
Alpha Whisky
Count me in for this lot.

I`ll go with a Smeed 'Chatterbox' for starters, and maybe a Boddington 'Craftsman' to follow. Both selected for nostalgic reasons, but I am mindful that I am committed to the imminent vintage kit-design build-off with a KK Outlaw for 3-function r/c and Mills 1.30 power.

I`ll go start a build-log for the 'Chatterbox' now...

Alan W
Dec 10, 2020, 09:26 PM
I like thermals
Bruce,

Just an FYI - here's the link to a model I already had underway as a 2020 complete-a-project - the 1958 Guided Mite modified with built up wing. Rudder only with electric. I've pulled it off the shelf to work on this weekend. I suppose I could tag the title with ROB as well, or not. Either way, here it is:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...single-channel

David H.
Dec 10, 2020, 09:41 PM
B for Bruce
Thread OP
David, since this isn't really a "deadline" sort of build you're more than welcome to include your GM in this thread as well. I'll just note it down as "already started" in the Builder's List.

Tet Shin, you're on. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Dec 10, 2020, 09:42 PM
Ok Bruce- I'm in. Being an RO beginner, I'm in on the cheap! A Mini Mambo using the Gene Rock plan found on Oz. Electric powered and plastic covered for easy repairs
Dec 10, 2020, 11:04 PM
AMA Dist. IV RC Events Coord.
This is very interesting. I started in the 70’s, but never built a rudder only. I’ll have to start looking for a design.
Dec 10, 2020, 11:21 PM
I'm in.

Photos from the 1970s of two of my planes. The blue one about to be launched is a Lil Spirit with a Cox .049 and an Ace Pulse system. I have one now but electric with rudder and elevator controls. The red one might be from Midwest with a 44" foam wing. Have no real recollection of just what it was but doubt I would have covered a foam wing with that expensive Solarfilm.

Somewhere I have sketches and notes for one I designed and built. If I can find those, will build again.
Dec 11, 2020, 05:37 AM
I like thermals
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGlider07
I'm in.

The red one might be from Midwest with a 44" foam wing. Have no real recollection of just what it was but doubt I would have covered a foam wing with that expensive Solarfilm.

Somewhere I have sketches and notes for one I designed and built. If I can find those, will build again.
The red one looks like Dick's Dream from Ace R/C. Used their molded foam wing. Rudder only, typically with Cox .020 power.
Dec 11, 2020, 08:14 AM
I like thermals

Rudder Only Trimming and Flying Tips

"Here's the place to start....out in the pasture with the rest of us."

I offer one of my all-time favorite quotes regarding model flying in general and the lure of rudder-only flying in particular.

For anyone new to R/O or needing a refresher on basic R/O flight trim, the Airknocker construction article by Bill Winter contains useful information. The entire article is fascinating and easy to read. I recommend the intro and the section on flying (trim) especially. When you click on the link, scroll all the way down to the Supplement article PDF file.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1293

Also, Ace R/C used to supply a really great pamphlet on rudder only flight trim and simple rudder-only aerobatics along with their kits as well as their single channel pulse systems. I cannot locate any of my old copies, but if someone else has one, it might be helpful to post.
Last edited by pulserudder; Dec 11, 2020 at 09:02 AM.
Dec 11, 2020, 08:30 AM
^ that link doesn't seem to work.
Dec 11, 2020, 09:02 AM
I like thermals
Thanks Remitt. I think I fixed it.
Dec 11, 2020, 09:24 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Looks like fun,I just drew up a rudder only sailplane for a friend of mine.Put me on the list,I'll get going right after Christmas.

Quick Reply