Oct 13, 2021, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBeeTheDrone
Right on was thinking could save $400. Am also wondering about feasibility of mounting a camera on the belly to get top-down view for mapping software
They have a landmapping version so it will work.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 13, 2021, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtRay
They have a landmapping version so it will work.
Are you referring to the $5500 version drone?
Oct 13, 2021, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Are you referring to the $5500 version drone?
I think so. Too much for me, but it shows it will work
Oct 14, 2021, 06:43 AM
You can always put Ardupilot on the normal version and get all the capabilities of it and the full Mission Planner ground station and surveying capabilities..
Oct 14, 2021, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli
You can always put Ardupilot on the normal version and get all the capabilities of it and the full Mission Planner ground station and surveying capabilities..
Exactly what I want to try and do: Can a capable yet inexpensive mapping drone be assembled that uses the Swan-K1 with a belly-mounted high-megapixel camera? My inspiration comes from the WingtraOne Gen II which is a commercial solution for aerial mapping.

Plan to document how it works once I can get the Foxtech version but it's backordered as of this post.
Last edited by EBeeTheDrone; Oct 14, 2021 at 11:42 AM.
Oct 14, 2021, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Can a capable yet inexpensive mapping drone be assembled that uses the Swan-K1 with a belly-mounted high-megapixel camera? My inspiration comes from the WingtraOne Gen II which is a commercial solution for aerial mapping.
I'm doing the exact same thing. Will be using Mapir Survey 3 (aka Gitup G3) initially, and then this 26 mp camera- along with a F9P GPS. Either of those camera fits perfectly in the bottom bay of the K1 Swan. Interestingly both the Foxtech and HEQ mapping versions have the cameras on the nose, probably to maintain CG.

Regarding the choice between the regular and pro version- having seen them both, I'd probably opt for the cheaper version and invest your money in the camera or GPS.

Just getting re-spooled up on updating to Ardupilot. Tried replacing the flight controller with a Pixracer, but haven't worked out some major tuning issues yet. Will do a few more flights on the stock FC before updating that too.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Oct 15, 2021, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjyahr
I'm doing the exact same thing. Will be using Mapir Survey 3 (aka Gitup G3) initially, and then this 26 mp camera- along with a F9P GPS. Either of those camera fits perfectly in the bottom bay of the K1 Swan. Interestingly both the Foxtech and HEQ mapping versions have the cameras on the nose, probably to maintain CG.

Regarding the choice between the regular and pro version- having seen them both, I'd probably opt for the cheaper version and invest your money in the camera or GPS.

Just getting re-spooled up on updating to Ardupilot. Tried replacing the flight controller with a Pixracer, but haven't worked out some major tuning issues yet. Will do a few more flights on the stock FC before updating that too.

Keep us posted on your progress!
No sh*t!? Brilliant thread on that thanks. Will be purchasing it soon then have some work ahead of me. Am curious on the cost of that 26mpx camera if you know?
Oct 15, 2021, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Am curious on the cost of that 26mpx camera if you know?
Was $1500 last year. Been meaning to write a review of their cameras, but haven't gotten around to it yet!
Oct 17, 2021, 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjyahr
you don't need to replace the flight controller in the Swan-K1 in order to run ArduPilot. We have a port of ArduPilot to the flght controller that comes with the vehicle. It even has correct setup and tuning all pre-done in the firmware.
Information here:
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-Swan-K1.html
pre-built firmware here:
https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Plane/latest/Swan-K1/
I've been flying my Swan-K1 pro with ArduPilot every weekend for quite a while now and really enjoying it. I have installed MissionPlanner on my HEQ transmitter.
Oct 17, 2021, 06:35 PM
Thanks Tridge, I'm concerned that the original FC was damaged in my previous crash, which was the reason to break out an old Pixracer.

For the H12, can you confirm that UDP is the best way to connect MissionPlanner? In my touchscreen saga, I reset the H12 and now it doesn't connect to the vehicle in QGC or MP using UDP. The radio link works, as does HEQ Fly. Also installed the HEQ tools app.
Oct 18, 2021, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tridge
you don't need to replace the flight controller in the Swan-K1 in order to run ArduPilot. We have a port of ArduPilot to the flght controller that comes with the vehicle. It even has correct setup and tuning all pre-done in the firmware.
Information here:
https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-Swan-K1.html
pre-built firmware here:
https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Plane/latest/Swan-K1/
I've been flying my Swan-K1 pro with ArduPilot every weekend for quite a while now and really enjoying it. I have installed MissionPlanner on my HEQ transmitter.
Very good to know, want to install that when mine comes
Nov 26, 2021, 01:35 PM
Anyone know of any stl files for the K1? I am interested in printing a new nose with the ability for pan/tilt. I plan on putting the dji system on it but also keeping the analog to have video in the app. Would like to have both on a pan/tilt.
Nov 29, 2021, 07:30 PM
For those using Aurdupilot with QHC or Mission Planner. Are you getting the fpv video feed in the app? If so, how did you configure it? Thanks
Dec 06, 2021, 11:33 AM
Well since there doesn't seem to be alot of info on modding the k1 I figured I would share my mods. Thanks to tridge for answering my questions and providing some guidance. First, the stock board has a good bit of limitations. I used a different board so I can have access to a uart to get the osd on my dji goggles. I also wanted to be able to set waypoint missions and add a servo controlled tilt for the camera. I also planned on leaving the stock fpv camera installed to keep the analog video feed in the app. Here is what I learned.

- There is a tx/rx7 on the board but apparently it isn't ported to a serial port.
- The fpv feed is not over a standard protocol that mission planner or QGC can display. Hopefully this will be figured out and I understand a request has been sent to HEQ for the info but I don't have high hopes. HEQ seems to suck at customer support. They have never responded to my request for support. BTW, foxtech did respond but won't provide any info if you didn't buy from them.
- I initially tried using a 3dr pixhawk px4. It showed more than 1 Meg of storage but the fw flash kept failing so I used the 1m fw and it installed but I kept getting imu errors..Not sure if it was a bad board or what. I then flashed a matek f765 wing board and it installed with no issue. I then did a compare of parameters to the parameters of the k1 code on ardupilot and wrote to the board.
-Osd is working and I used the stock airspeed sensor. The stock GPS doesn't have a compass so I used a 3dr GPS I had laying around. I get a lot of unhealthy ahrs with it and will be installing a newer gps/compass. This is especially important due to the GPS not being pointed directly at the sky in hover mode.
- There is no way to setup mixes in the TX. There is a password to get into some of the menus. This prevents setting up more than 3 flight modes. Only some options can be set on non-flight mode switches.
- I used the stock ESC. The pinout starting from the G on the board is ground, 5v out, pwm, pwm pwm pwm, current and voltage. I didn't use the current and voltage but instead used the boards built in sensor.

Anyway, test flight won't be done until late this weekend.
Last edited by techspy; Dec 06, 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Dec 06, 2021, 04:01 PM

gediminasgu

Here are my mods:
- Installed ArduPilot (thanks Tridge for your work!)
- Removed SkyDroid receiver and camera
- Installed RPi Zero2 with Wifi Card and OpenHD (https://openhd.gitbook.io/open-hd/)
- Installed RPi camera
- I use QGC for control, mission planning and video.
- Razer Junglecat as joystick connected to my phone for control.

There are two issues I have:
- OpenHD communication is not stable. Maybe because I use WiFi to connect to GCS. Video is OK, but I get failsafe quite often. I need to test with an ethernet connection.
- The plane picks up the altitude very slow. Maybe something related to ArduPilot. I haven't looked into it yet.

Quick Reply