Jim Aero Neutrino F5J Fuselage Update

Jim Aero redesigned the front fuselage half on the Neutrino and that means I can shave the total weight by at least 4oz!

Splash

New Fuselage for the Neutrino F5J

I love my Neutrino! It's been performing great and has a several competition wins and podium finishes under its belt. I received one of the first ones in the States and it was a Windy version that came out to 54oz, BUT I had to put about 4oz of lead in the nose to balance the plane properly. I didn't like adding useless weight, but since it flew so well I just accepted it. The factory decided to redesign the front fuselage half (it's a 2-piece fuse) which allows the CG to be achieved without needing extra nose weight! That got me pumped and the factory shipped one of these new fuselages to Soaring USA who forwarded it on to my house.

The new fuselage was made a little thinner in overall size. The original fuse is 45mm wide at the middle of the canopy and the new fuse is 38.8mm at the same location. Length wise, the new fuse is pretty close to the same from the nose to the back of the hatch opening, but the new fuse hatch opening is 10mm longer. From the rear of the hatch to the leading edge of the wing saddle is where they really changed it up. This distance on the original fuse is 55mm, but the new fuse puts it at 97mm. This pushed the wing back on the fuse and will allow the same components I had on the original fuse to balance the new fuse without the additional 4oz+ of lead. The overall length of the fuse has been extended by 50mm. I am really excited to get my gear transferred over and get this thing under 50oz flying weight to be ready for next season!

Check out the Neutrino at Soaring USA

See my full review on the Neutrino F5J Here

Last edited by Jason Cole; Dec 03, 2020 at 09:44 AM..
Dec 03, 2020, 10:38 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Looks good! How much further aft is the new wing saddle if you butt up the rear of two fuses? It seems like they would be pretty close then, and that the nose is just extended a bunch.
Latest blog entry: Colour Schemes
Dec 03, 2020, 10:53 AM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah pretty close. Just depends on how you look at it. Bottom line is the nose is further forward from the wing and won't need lead to balance like on my original fuse.
Dec 04, 2020, 01:41 PM
I am not a robot
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.P.
Looks good! How much further aft is the new wing saddle if you butt up the rear of two fuses? It seems like they would be pretty close then, and that the nose is just extended a bunch.
GP, I have no idea what you're doing here, but I'm in awe of the new F5J planes. I like that concept, but the price...wow, you can spend as much on those as we do on a top of the line 3D plane.

Jason, someday I'd like to see you fly that in person. If the Covid stuff is settled down by this summer, please have Jim post some of the places you'll fly. I'd love to come watch.
Dec 04, 2020, 02:01 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Yeah man, We fly competitions with these in Muncie, Knoxville, Florida, NC, Ohio, etc. If you ever visit Nashville, I'd be more than happy to meet you at our field and let you try out a few sailplanes as well.
Jan 13, 2021, 12:01 AM
Just noticed this thread which seems more active so I'll post this comment here
Received my Neutrino that I assume has the new fuselage. I'm grappling with getting the cg. I have a Powerline 1025/20 at 102gms, a Turnigy Plush 60amp esc and battery 90gms and still having to add 83gms ballast. I wonder how Jason got on with the modified fuse. I understood the extended fuselage was to address the balancing issue. Pretty disappointed at this stage. Interested to hear from anyone else that has the revised model.

Quick Reply