Dec 02, 2020, 10:48 PM
Safe landings!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadRedbeard View Post
I started with flysky, migrated to Frsky, upgraded to R9 and then finally moved to crossfire.

All the moves are probably pretty sensible- the big reason I moved from R9 to crossfire is that I kept getting random drop outs while flying R9. It was great when it worked, but I had problems every other time I flew R9, and with crossfire I have yet to have a failsafe. R9m has most likely fixed the bugs (and added many features such as over the air updates), but with the bad taste in my mouth I would never try R9m over my perfectly working Crossfire.
I'm curious if frsky had a bad batch of modules they never admitted to. Mine has been rock solid on everything since I've owned it.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2020, 10:54 PM
If so, must have been a pretty big batch, because between me and my flying buddy we
experienced the same failure from 3 different modules bought at different times, from
different vendors.
Dec 02, 2020, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetruSoroaga View Post
Now with that secure FRSky ACCESS protocol or whatever the name, that is closed and 'anti free market' :P, I think it's another reason.
So, maybe they have over the air updates now, but I'm not updating my firmwares to that fu***ng access or whatever the name.
ACCESS is no more "closed" than Crossfire or Dragon link! "Anti free market"? REALLY??

It adds lots of nice features to an already powerful system! I have used the R9 system since before it was released as a beta tester along with my Crossfire equipment and it has never let me down! Great system and the best value for money!
Dec 03, 2020, 12:32 AM
Lets not forget, that at the beginning Frsky was sending R9 modules with wrong antenna ( 2.4 ghz i believe). I upgraded pretty quickly to Super8 antenna, but now only using Prodrone antennas.

Wysłane z mojego LLD-L31 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Dec 03, 2020, 01:46 AM
When I was looking for a reliable upgrade to my DX8 + EzUhf, the whole Frksy inverted/non-inverted f-port or s-port or whatever and reading about people struggling with that crap & confusing accts/access versions to solve their problems put me off.

Not a fan of how TBS did/does their marketing by rubbing with authorities, but their reputation for quality products is what made me make the decision to go with crossfire.
Last edited by NobatteryNopower; Dec 03, 2020 at 01:53 AM.
Dec 03, 2020, 03:36 AM
Last edited by TrikeTrash; May 18, 2021 at 02:46 PM.
Dec 03, 2020, 10:22 AM
From some of the posts here it is indeed obvious that the FrSky R9 product line is not idiot proof....

I never had any issues.....

**Unsubscribe**
Dec 03, 2020, 12:25 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
Yup. And some of those idiots visit a thread asking about why people don’t fly the R9M and since they don’t like what they read they literally, physically type out “unsubscribed”. As if they think people care if they’re subscribed or not to this thread.
Dec 03, 2020, 01:04 PM
FWIW, I had previously had negative experiences with Crossfire, and generally very positive
experiences with FrSky ACCST (been flying it without issue for about 10 years) so
I *really* wanted the FrSky R9 gear to work, especially since it was plug and play with
the X-lite transmitter I now use for all my quads. Unfortunately, it just didn't work reliably
for me, or my flying buddy, and any issues we had were worse when we flew together.
My subjective impression is that it has a flaw when dealing with some types of external
interference. Even if we hadn't experienced random drops, the fact that the telemetry signal
was crushed by each other's control signal every time we flew together was
seriously annoying. I switched back to Crossfire not really expecting much,
based on my previous experience, but it has been pretty solid.
Dec 03, 2020, 02:05 PM
I have had good performance with R9 as well. I have several different receivers . R9 (big one), R9 Slim, R9MM and 3 R9MM-OTA's all on ACCST and no problems really. All FCC adaptive power all the time. They are in Multirotors Planes and a Rover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Goast View Post
I'm curious if frsky had a bad batch of modules they never admitted to. Mine has been rock solid on everything since I've owned it.
Dec 03, 2020, 02:18 PM
UAV Flight Operations Manager
Sounds like what we can take away from this discussion is that different LRS can, and often do, improve over time, as they’re updated.
Dec 03, 2020, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyy View Post
Sounds like what we can take away from this discussion is that different LRS can, and often do, improve over time, as they’re updated.
That's certainly true of Crossfire.

But there haven't been any firmware or hardware updates to the r9m since 2019 so
can't attribute other's successes to that. The gear I'm talking about above were all
purchased in the first couple months of 2020 and run on the latest available firmware
with well tested antennas.

FWIW, ACCST isn't an option when using r9m Lite Pro (the X-lite module).
It's possible the drops were related to using ACCESS but others claim success with it as well.
All I know is that it didn't work for me or my buddy, and the *only* change we made
to stop the drops was switch to Crossfire. FrSky has stated that
that ACCST is somehow unreliable and are using it as an excuse to try to
get folks to upgrade their gear to ACCESS. I have *never* had ACCST fail, so don't
know what to make of that.
Dec 04, 2020, 12:17 AM
Had R9 +R9MM on Flex firmware on Qx7S.
Random failsafe at close distance. Can't trust it.

Moved to Crossfire and never looked back.
Dec 04, 2020, 01:24 AM
3 failed R9MM´s within one year. It starts with random failsafing and ends with a receiver that is not able to connect to the module. Absolutely not reliable stuff!
I also moved to crossfire and had never again failsafes. You get what you pay...
Dec 05, 2020, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperfpv View Post
Had R9 +R9MM on Flex firmware on Qx7S.
Random failsafe at close distance. Can't trust it.

Moved to Crossfire and never looked back.
At higher power levels the receiver saturates. Everyone working with HF stuff should know this. Even my old Graupner RC link had this problem when the transmitter is closer than 1m to the receiver.

I use the R9m Lite pro on my X-Lite S with a couple of R9mx and R9sx and had never issues with it. I want a small transmitter and am happy with this setup.
I also have some smaller drones, which have for example the XM+ receiver. I don't see the point switching to crossfire and replacing all of them.

Quick Reply