Dec 02, 2020, 02:49 PM
Thread OP
Question

How to make EPO smooth?

I just acquired an old EPO plane that I would like to spackle, sand and paint to try for a smooth finish. Doing this just for a fun challenge, and my goal is to make this plane look like it's not a foamie. I'd love some input.

What would you suggest I do to get the plane smooth for painting; some sort of spackle that will not crack and fall off?

(I'm going to post this on some other forums, sorry for the repeats)
Last edited by Mobie; Dec 02, 2020 at 03:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2020, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobie
I just acquired an old EPO plane that I would like to spackle, sand and paint to try for a smooth finish. Doing this just for a fun challenge, and my goal is to make this plane look like it's not a foamie. I'd love some input.

What would you suggest I do to get the plane smooth for painting; some sort of spackle that will not crack and fall off?

I bought some Horizon Hobby Woodland Scenics Foam Putty and plan to spread it on the EPO foam, then sand it smooth.
Dec 02, 2020, 09:13 PM
The reason that's not done more frequently is weight. That plane is going to weigh a ton when you get done, and will have lost all of it's low speed maneuverability.

If you want to try this, DON'T try it on a plane that you like!
Dec 03, 2020, 12:28 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
There's actually stuff specifically made for putting a smooth coat on a foam surface. Damned if I can remember what it's called. I have a bottle in my workshop. It's some silly name. I bought it at a local "Michaels" generic-hobby store. Works pretty good. Retains a little flexibility so it doesn't crack like spackle would.
Dec 03, 2020, 09:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
The reason that's not done more frequently is weight. That plane is going to weigh a ton when you get done, and will have lost all of it's low speed maneuverability.

If you want to try this, DON'T try it on a plane that you like!
Good advice, thank you.
Dec 03, 2020, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobie

Beacon makes a product called Foam Tac foam finish which I have never used, but sounds like exactly what you are looking for.
Dec 06, 2020, 03:51 AM
flyin' fool
Heavy =

Light =

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=10

The same applies to all flying machines, even 1:1 scale.

Quick Reply