What the Heck Wednesday - Prototype Airplane Crash

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a custom prototype RC airplane failing to achieve proper flight.

Splash

What the Heck Happened?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a custom prototype RC airplane failing to achieve proper flight. They call the plane a BL-100 and it looks to be made of Depron foam. It has a low wing configuration and looks to be a little heavy. Couple that with an inexperienced pilot and the results are entertaining to say the least. I love that these guys are out there trying to create their own design and learn to fly though. They did have some success getting it to fly later on so good on them, but we are hear to discuss what went wrong in the video posted below. Bad throw, tail heavy, or something else? Let me know what you think happened on this flight.

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Dec 02, 2020, 10:12 AM
I see about a 30 degree wing incedence angle. Plus inexperienced pilot. Just look at the stabilizer angle before launch.
Dec 02, 2020, 10:19 AM
Based on their later success, I think the primary cause was insufficient airspeed at launch. Couple that with an inexperienced pilot and probably out of trim condition and a crash is inevitable.
Dec 02, 2020, 06:36 PM
All of the above:
Novice pilot
Terrible hand launch
Stabilizer in full up
Stall
CG

More wrong than right but they are having fun anyway.
Dec 03, 2020, 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
All of the above:
Novice pilot
Terrible hand launch
Stabilizer in full up
Stall
CG

More wrong than right but they are having fun anyway.
+1

having fun at building and flying is what it's all about. We've all been novices at a point.
Dec 03, 2020, 06:19 AM
I would be interested in hearing just what all they did to achieve success.
Dec 03, 2020, 08:58 AM
Seems better but not great:
Prototype BL-100 rc plane flight (21.11.2020) (2 min 20 sec)

They have a bunch of Youtubes on this plane!

Tommy
Dec 03, 2020, 10:37 AM
The runway used to be longer
I think a good pilot could have saved it.
Lots of power and it was up high before things went sideways.

I can picture the good pilot listing off things that are wrong with it as they trim it as best as possible and finally dump it in some weeds without damage.

Those guys are having fun though.
Dec 03, 2020, 01:22 PM
B for Bruce
The fact that it flies away from the horrid launch shows that it's surprisingly light and has lots of power. All positives that way. The plane wants to fly and is trying its hardest to survive the quality of the pilot's skill level.

The crash in the fist video looks as much like the pilot pushing the elevator the wrong way as anything. Or the pilot just being way behind the reaction time.

The second flight is only better based on the duration. It's a series of near disasters that barely avoided hitting the trees or ground. The pilot IS learning but clearly still has a long way to go. He'll get there but only with more repairs being needed over time.

Kudos to the plane though. It's trying to fly like a champ. Give these guys a few more flights and a better way of launching and it will teach them both how to fly.
Dec 03, 2020, 01:50 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Makes a pleasant change from people buying a RTF/ARF with a built in stabilizer to rely on, yet still managing to crash and learn nothing.

Dec 03, 2020, 05:35 PM
ProBro# 516
Looks like the servo linkage is suffering from bad geometry. Not many people has tried to understand this very important part of the planes stability. Improper length, angles and servo arms and control horns setup can lead to funky behavior on the planes.
Anyone knows a good writing on this critical point?
Took me years to understand the basics!!
Saludos!!
Dec 03, 2020, 07:15 PM
That's the wimpiest hand launch I've ever seen!

But, hey, if they're having fun and learning, that's all that matters.
Dec 04, 2020, 08:31 AM
Yes! To keep a home made plane up that long by a pilot just starting out is VERY impressive! Congrats to them. I wish them all the best. Next a home made heli??
Dec 04, 2020, 11:23 PM
Corsair Guy

Close Encounter

It is obvious that the cause of the crash was that the ground got too close to the altitude that the craft was flying at. Had the ground behaved itself and stayed down and at a respectful distance from the aircrafts height, this would not have happened. Furthermore, some aircraft do have a tendency of attempting to fly below ground level. This aircraft might indeed be one of those! If so, the best thing to do is to not let that plane get the better of you. If you have a plane that wants to fly below ground level, then go to a big deep pit and fly at the bottom of the pit, that way you will be well below the ground level of the surrounding area and your plane will thank you for that!!
Dec 05, 2020, 02:22 PM
Rotormantic
CG. But weren't these also the guys doing the lines of code in the 737 Max...

Quick Reply