This thread is privately moderated by siriusflier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 01, 2020, 05:46 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Dynam C-182 Sky Trainer 1280mm V2 w/Flaps

C-182 Sky Trainer

I am a fan of Dynam planes, and a few weeks ago I was looking at the planes available at Bitgo Hobby when I came across the Dynam Sky Trainer C182. Cessnas have always been one of my favorite small civilian planes, a fiend and I took a memorable trip in a C152 many years ago, and I have a photo somewhere with him and that plane parked in my yard many years ago. I have a few warbirds and other planes I try to fly, but the only plane I have that I have successfully taken off and landed on wheels is the Aeroscout. It is also the only plane I have not crashed and broken and my largest at 1100 mm. I do have some successful flights with my two 800mm P51s, but they do not work well with wheels on my available landing strip. I have a paved road but it is crowned and not very level, and I do not have very good unpaved ground or grass to fly from. Lots of open airspace though.

I like Dynam products because my experience with them has been good and the prices are reasonable. The PNP C-182 is normally $159 but was on sale for $149. The PNP Aeroscout is $150 without flaps or LEDs. It is 1280mm(50.4in) so is about 7 inches larger than my Aeroscout. It is a high wing trainer type plane and I know I need more training in something that should be easier to fly. I have read that larger planes are easier to learn with. It has flaps that I think might help with takeoffs and landing. It comes with preinstalled LEDs that just have to be plugged into the controller and the receiver. So I read the entire thread https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ner-Cessna-182 on RCGroups, liked what I read, and ordered the plane from Bitgo Hobby https://www.bitgohobby.com/ . I ordered the C-182 on Friday, 11/20/2020 at around 1pm, it shipped with Fedex before 4pm that same day, and arrived at my house on Monday, 11/23/2020 about 6:30pm. I was impressed with the fast shipping, but the Fedex driver did not bother to knock on my door and backed into my mailbox, causing me to have to repair my mailbox.

Dynam's description:

Dynam have taken the trusty C-182 sky trainer and given it a total make over from the ground up. It now really does replicate the full size even to the navigation lights. The durability of the EPO foam has been further bettered with a high gloss surface finish and factory applied decals.(decals are not applied in PNP kit) Stability (at medium and high speed flight) and high performance (at low speed flight) are two strong points of this airframe and together with the high power brushless motor, scale 3-blade propeller and long duration Li-Po battery, which results in a great trainer and intermediate aircraft. The wing loading remains wonderfully light, but adding more realistic flight characteristics. This model also features scale flaps, they have proved to be great fun and effectively reduce the distance of landing run.
The pilot can easily perform aerobatics such as stall turns, inverted flight, point rolls, loops and bunts with minimal effort.

Features

- Shock-resistant front landing gear and scale steering nose wheel
- Scale Flaps
- Scale 3 blade propeller and spinner
- Tinted clear canopy(canopy is clear, not tinted)
- Carbon wing tube improves the wing strength and is easy to disassembly
- Large battery hatch, convenient to replace the battery
- Removable EPO cowl
- Using higher power motor, the airplane can get plenty of power, short takeoff distance, and fast climb speed
- Increased battery capacity provides long duration

What are included in PNP kit :

Dynam C-182 sky trainer airplane, motor, ESC, 6*9g servos

What are required:

6-Channel or above transmitter
6-Channel receiver
11.1V 2200mAh 20C Li-Po battery and charger
1 hour assembly time

Specifications:

Material: EPO Foam
Wing Span: 1280mm(50.4in)
Flying Weight: 1000g
Wing Loading: 43.5g/dm2
Fuselage Length: 1000mm(39.4in)
Center of Gravity: N/A(manual has 55-60mm from leading edge of wing)
Motor: Detrum BM2815A-KV1100
ESC: TC Skylord 30A ESC (12 Aug 2020: update to Skylord 40A)
Propeller: 3-Blade Prop(9 x 6 x 3)
Servo: 6x 9g
Elevator: Yes
Rudder: Yes
Ailerons: Yes
Flaps: Yes

The outer box was in fairly good shape, just had to clean the dust off of it. Maybe sitting in the warehouse for an extended period? The inner box and all of the contents were packed well and in good shape. All of the parts looked good except the lens for the outer right wing LED was not glued in place properly, so I had to remove it, clean off the glue, and re-glue it. All the main parts seem to go together well, but the plane is very white.
Name: zc182box.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 508.3 KB
Description: Name: zc182box2.jpg
Views: 2
Size: 390.9 KB
Description: Name: zc182box3.jpg
Views: 3
Size: 477.2 KB
Description: Name: zc182box4.jpg
Size: 518.3 KB
Description: Name: zc182boxcontent.jpg
Size: 488.4 KB
Description: Name: zc182plain.jpg
Views: 5
Size: 449.9 KB
Description:

I know from experience that Dynam 3 blade props break easily and I prefer 2 blade props anyway, so I found a couple of spinners and some two blade props I can use.
Name: zc182prop.jpg
Size: 470.6 KB
Description:

From reading the review thread, it made sense to reinforce the mounting of the nose gear, so I measured, drilled a hole, and cut two pieces of 1/8th thick plywood to fit below and above the nose gear strut. Then I cut a small amount of foam out to fit the one on the bottom. After gluing the two pieces of plywood in place and checking the fit of the nose gear, I ended up using a dremel tool to grind out the upper recess so the nose gear would line up for better support from both pieces of plywood.
Name: zc182gearbraces.jpg
Size: 454.9 KB
Description:
Last edited by siriusflier; Dec 01, 2020 at 06:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2020, 05:51 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
11/30/2020 Before I received this plane I told myself I was not going to spend a lot of time painting it. But is almost completely white and I am not too fond of the decals supplied, so I have spent the last few days painting. Tomorrow I should receive the transmitter I am upgrading to so I will have a 3 position switch for the flaps, and I should be finished painting by then. I might add some blue to the control surfaces, but I can always do that later.

The color I chose for the top of the wings is Krylon Short Cuts Caribbean Green. I usually go to walmart's craft aisle and find an acrylic brush on paint for touch ups, and have always had to mix a little to get a good match, but this time I found an almost exact match called Aquamarine. The lower part of the cowl is spray painted with the Short Cuts paint, the space around the motor opening is brush painted with the Aquamarine craft paint.
Name: zc182cowlpant.jpg
Size: 521.8 KB
Description: Name: zc182paint.jpg
Size: 711.3 KB
Description:

I was wanting to tint all the windows but the only model tint I was able to find was Tamiya spray, expensive, and would be hard to get on the side windows. I tested sharpies, fingernail polish, sun catcher paint, and acrylic paints. Was not happy with the results of at least 5 different tests for tinting the windows. I thought of one more method to try, if that doesn't work, I won't have tinted window. The other method I tried was shoe polish, didn't work.
Dec 01, 2020, 05:54 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
11/30/2020
Today I received in the mail the Detrum Gavin 8C that I ordered so I could have a 3 position switch for flaps. When I pulled it out of the box I was very surprised to see that it had an 8 channel receiver with it. Then when I opened the rx box, there was a GPS unit under the rx. So I went to Bitgo Hobby and checked prices. I paid $87.49US for the tx, less $8.80 10% discount, no tax or shipping, so $78.69. If I bought that TX/rx combo it would have been $169.99 but I would have also got a 10% discount. The rx/gps combo is the SR86A-G that normally sells for $86.99. So I got about twice the value in products compared to what I paid. Didn't actually need a receiver but I can use it, not sure if I will try to use the GPS. The new 8C transmitter has an extra switch compared to the 6C plus 3 switches that are three position instead of two position. 8C is supposed to have a better display, has a different antenna, and has a built in plug for using a 2S battery for power. I could use a 2S lipo in the 6C, but I had to wire in my own plug. The photos show the different looks, the switches, a simulator cable, and the receiver and GPS. Below shows the switches and my uses on the 6C.
 SA: 3 positions, alternate, short lever - used for throttle hold.
 SB: 3 positions, alternate, short lever - used for flight modes.
 SC: 2 positions, momentary, long lever - binding and range mode.
 SD: 3 positions, alternate, short lever - dual rates.
 SE: 3 positions, alternate, short lever - gear/flaps.
 SF: 2 positions, alternate, long lever - not on 6C.

Name: zgaintxs.jpg
Size: 425.4 KB
Description: Name: zgavin txs2.jpg
Size: 331.6 KB
Description: Name: zdetrumSR86A-G.jpg
Size: 533.9 KB
Description:
Dec 01, 2020, 06:57 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Yesterday and today I did a few modifications.
I took off the double sided tape meant to hold the cowl in place and installed magnets and steel plates to hold it.
Name: zc182cowlplates.jpg
Views: 1
Size: 436.1 KB
Description: Name: zc182cowlmagnet.jpg
Size: 411.4 KB
Description:

I was going to install the esc under the motor, but it interfered with the cowl in the original position I planned, so I cut a shallow slot and put it beside the nose gear, partially into the fuselage. I got a 30 amp esc, not the updated 40 amp.
Name: zc192escplace.jpg
Size: 383.7 KB
Description: Name: zc182escplce2.jpg
Size: 443.4 KB
Description:

I spray painted the inside of the windscreen and the rear window to tint them. I had to buy some paint, and I decided I had more use for silver than black, so that is what I used. Side windows will probably remain clear because they are harder to remove for painting.
Name: zc182windscreebtint.jpg
Size: 529.1 KB
Description:
Dec 03, 2020, 05:57 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Yesterday I worked on getting all of the wiring sorted out and the transmitter set up. Bound the plane to the tx and checked all of the controls. I was hoping I could turn off the LEDs with one of the switches, but that didn't happen. Aileron and flap wires were easy to sort because wires were much shorter for Ailerons. There are 7 plugs for LEDs that have to be connected to the LED controller which is split between on constant and flashing. The only one that is obvious is the tail feather LED. I have the wing tip LEDs and the tail LED flashing an the other four solid. All LEDs are red and green, I with the landing lights were white, but I probably won't change them or add to them, I don't plan on flying at night anyway. The LEDs are brighter than I expected but don't know if the will help at all in daylight. I added some blue tape stripes to the underside of the wing to make it more visible from below.
Name: zc182assmbled.jpg
Size: 471.6 KB
Description: Name: zc182bttm.jpg
Size: 290.8 KB
Description: Name: zc182wingbttm.jpg
Size: 453.6 KB
Description:

I ordered some larger wheel/tires that got here today, so I am working on fitting them to the landing gear.
Dec 04, 2020, 11:02 AM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
The scale that I have only goes to 500 grams, so I weighed the separate parts before and after applying paint. Before painting I got a weight without battery of about 869 grams. After painting I got a weight of about 908 grams, a difference of about 39 grams. One thing also added besides paint was the magnets for securing the cowl that weigh about 7.5 grams. Once I install everything and add all the screws, the weight will probably be between 910 and 920 grams.

The steel plates I paired with the firewall magnets to hold the cowl in place did not seem very secure, so I took them out and replaced with magnets. Name: zc182cowlmags.jpg
Size: 592.4 KB
Description:

I got the tires and wheels I ordered to replace the stock wheels and fit them into the wheel pants/landing gear. Did not have to alter the wheel pants, but had to re-bend the aluminum fork for the front gear. Also had to grind off some of the wheel hub so they would fit the main gear axles. Waiting for it to warm up so I can paint the pants. Tires are not much bigger, but should bounce less.
Name: zc182wheels.jpg
Size: 777.8 KB
Description:

When I had it hooked up and was checking the throws of the rudder, the pushrod was bowing when the pushrod extended, so I took it apart from the control horn, added some tubing, and a mount to hold the rod in place.
Name: zc182rudrod.jpg
Size: 447.4 KB
Description:
Dec 04, 2020, 06:56 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Finally got the plane all put together, but too late to try a flight. Had to take the wing off to get the collar on the front landing gear, put a rubber pad on top of that shaft in case it gets pushed into the battery, and adjust the angle of the nose gear. Did take it out and did a range test which was good. Took some pictures in sunlight. Tried to taxi on the pavement and on my shortest grass. Did fairly well on pavement, but nosed down a little in the grass a few times. You might be able to see in the photos how uneven and crowned my road is in places, but I still think it might work when the wind is from the north or south. About the only thing left is to check the Center of Gravity.
Name: zc1821stout.jpg
Size: 1.07 MB
Description: Name: zc1821stout2.jpg
Size: 1.10 MB
Description: Name: zc1821stout3.jpg
Size: 1.11 MB
Description: Name: zc182onpvmnt.jpg
Size: 1.07 MB
Description: Name: zc182onpvmnt2.jpg
Size: 968.4 KB
Description:
Dec 05, 2020, 09:37 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
A couple of assembly problems I had that I forgot to mention before. I had a hard time getting the front screw for the tail feathers to go into the plastic mount. I think I ended up dropping three screws inside there before I taped the screw to the screwdriver and finally got the screw started. The screws fell into the fuselage and I think I got them all out. The other hard part was getting the collar onto the shaft of the front gear inside the plane. Had to take the wing loose, but had to take it loose to adjust the rod to the front gear anyway. I had the front windscreen off to paint it, I wish I had not reinstalled the windscreen before I put the collar on.

The C182 is too big for the COG stand I made for my smaller planes. I really don't like the finger tip method, I have big fingers, so last night I looked around to see what I had to make a larger COG stand. First I found some rubber tips in my plastics tray. Then I found some dowels that fit to tips perfectly. Then I designed the stand in my head. This morning I found the rest of the wood I could use out in my shop. Cut boards, drilled holes, and assembled it with wood glue and 2 screws. It is simple, but it works, and the rubber tips keep it from marring the foam. I ended up adding a lead weight in the front by the motor, got the COG between 50 and 55mm. may be nose heavy, but should be safer for a maiden.
Name: zlgplaneblnc.jpg
Size: 462.1 KB
Description: Name: zlgplaneblnc2.jpg
Size: 502.3 KB
Description: Name: zc182onblnc.jpg
Size: 433.2 KB
Description: Name: zc182lead.jpg
Size: 490.1 KB
Description:

Then I noticed the motor could move a bit up and down. Turns out the plastic motor mount was not securely glued to the foam, so I added some epoxy. Then one of the magnets came off of the cowl. The glue didn't come loose, it took off a little of the foam. So I re-glued the magnets and added screws in the middle of the magnet as anchors, also epoxied in place.
Name: zc182cwlmag.jpg
Size: 652.2 KB
Description:

I might have been able to try a maiden flight today, the wind was low, but waiting for the epoxy to dry after gluing the cowl magnets and the motor mount would have made it too late. When I bought the new Gavin 8C radio I also got a simulator cable to use with my 6C radio. You can download a free FMS simulator, I found the link at Bitgo hobby when I ordered the cable. Haven't had any kind of simulator in years. It probably took me over an hour to get it downloaded and working. The Utube video I found sponsored by Bitgo Hobby was misleading and left out too many steps, so it didn't help much. Also didn't help that I don't often download anything, but I finally got it figured out and working. Nothing fancy, but free and works.
Name: zfmssim.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 496.4 KB
Description: Name: zgavin6csimdngl.jpg
Size: 546.7 KB
Description:
Dec 06, 2020, 07:50 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
No flying today, a little too windy for a maiden. Don't like adding dead weight, the lead I put in the nose weighs more than 42 grams. Took the weight off because I wanted to take off the motor and weigh it. Motor weighed about 70 grams with wires. Might be able to use a GFORCE G10 BRUSHLESS OUTRUNNER MOTOR (3536/1100KV) that weighs 95 grams. Will have to fly the plane, see how it goes, and determine if it needs that much extra weight up front.
Also went through my 3S batteries and found one that weighs about 182 grams, about a 2700mah battery that will fit well. The 2200mah I was planning on using weighs about 167 grams.
Figured out what spinner I could use with a two blade prop and made sure it will fit the 1060 props I already have.

As I posted earlier, I bought this plane from Bitgo Hobby on a Friday and it was delivered on Monday. Bitgo had a Black Friday 15% off sale. I bought a Dynam Waco for $160 on 11/27/2020 and shipping label was created on 12/02/2020, but shipping company(Fedex) still hasn't gotten the package? Not in a hurry, it's my Christmas present to myself, but what's the holdup?
Dec 08, 2020, 06:32 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Worked today and didn't get home until about 4 pm. Sun goes down at 5:30 pm. Wind was 5mph or less when I got home so even though I was tired, I decided to charge a 3S battery and fly. But I chose the Aeroscout to practice my take offs and landings. By the time I charged the battery and got ready it was 5pm so time for one flight. I have only taken off and landed the Aeroscout a couple of times and from the road in front of my house. Took off without a problem, flew for awhile, and brought it in to land. Bounced the landing good and ended up going off in the ditch, but didn't nose over or flip it. not a pretty landing, but the only damage was about a dozen grass burrs on the tires. Probably need to practice more with the Aeroscout before I try the C-182.
Dec 14, 2020, 05:38 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
It snowed lightly here all afternoon until about sundown, but the temp didn't get down to freezing until after suddown, so nothing stuck except on the grass and cars. This morning it was down to 24'F and never got above 45'F all day. I am going to need my table to unbox and work on the Waco and the C182 was still sitting on it. Pretty much had run out of good spaces to hang planes, so I decided to make a stand to put the C182 on. Designed it yesterday, cleared off a space on the dresser for it this morning, and built it this morning. The plane rests on the wing struts near the fuselage. Hard to see, but now there are 5 planes on that dresser - 2 P-51s, a Spitfire, a Cox FW 180, and the C182.
Name: zc182stand.jpg
Size: 446.1 KB
Description: Name: zc182stand2.jpg
Size: 516.8 KB
Description:
Dec 19, 2020, 08:36 PM
I'm diggin' that paint scheme! It's almost seafoam--my favorite color. Agree that a pure white plane is no bueno.

Still no maiden? Not that I blame you. My last two maidens did not end well because I forced it when the wind was not on my side.
Dec 19, 2020, 10:06 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
Getting close to a maiden, but wanted to practice takeoffs and landings with the Aeroscout first because I don't want to hand launch this C182. Was up to 7 lifetime wheel landings with an RC plane two days ago, but you saw what I did with the Aeroscout. To be fair, it really wasn't the landing that was bad, just the flying and approach.
Dec 24, 2020, 04:48 PM
GOT WINGS
Thread OP
I miscalculated a good bit with my estimate that the plane would weigh around 920 grams. I bought a scale that goes to 300 grams, so I weighed it today and it weighs 983.9 grams without the battery. Batteries I will probably use weigh between 166 and 181 grams.

Too windy the last couple of days to even think about a maiden.

Quick Reply