Dec 01, 2020, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Video

I was bored during online classes so I designed a drone

Hey folks, the title is pretty self-explanatory. I used XFLR5 for the aerodynamic calculations and CATIA for the 3D model. I will post the source files later this week, but I think you might find this video fairly amusing

It's a bit ironic, but I was bored while studying Aerospace Engineering from home.

I was bored in online classes so I designed a flying wing (3 min 35 sec)

Here is a link for all the files, including STLs, source CATIA files, PDF plans, XFLR5 Design/Analysis files:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4672590

Feel free to use any of them however you see fit.
Last edited by Spr0ck3t; Dec 02, 2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added link for all the source files.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2020, 05:26 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor

OMG too funny!

"I got tired of chemistry class, so I built an oil refinery on my lunch break."

Somehow I think you're going to pass the course.

Nice weather for test flying, though. Looks like Napoleon's retreat from Moscow in 1813, but with fewer dead horses and one more flying wing. Well done! Now go home and have some hot soup!!!

Cheers,
Duane
Dec 02, 2020, 08:11 AM
Thread OP
Heh, yes, that might sound a bit "over the top", now that you point it out. But it's the truth, so that's that. I'm sure it says something about the quality of higher education in my country..

About the weather, I specifically chose to fly while there was a decent layer of snow. As it happens, it was right after the day I finished building the wing. I did this because I was didn't have a folding prop and didn't trust a prop saver at that RPM. Wanted to make sure I didn't break the prop ))
Dec 02, 2020, 11:16 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Very good, quite logical, and a nice design. Thanks for sharing!
Dec 02, 2020, 11:26 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Lucky your professor isn't using the Zoom feature where AI watches your camera feed and alerts the meeting leader when a viewer isn't paying attention. Or maybe he/she does....
Dec 03, 2020, 01:47 AM
Thread OP
Oh damn, I didn't even know that Zoom has such a feature. That is...dystopian.

No, we use Teams, and I've spent quite some time making sure it doesn't know anything more than I want it to. Teams, by default, does have a few tracking features, including broadcasting to anyone interested your open applications and your current "focused" application in Windows.

To be completely honest, I think I would've just owned up to it, could he blame me for making planes during an "Aerospace Engineering" degree? )))
Dec 03, 2020, 01:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHG
Very good, quite logical, and a nice design. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you! It's my first flying wing, I'm sure I'll come up with better designs in the future
Dec 03, 2020, 07:52 AM
Build more, websurf less
Check this out during your next class. This group may have figured out how birds do it. Made a flying wing with similar attributes and no longer needed vertical stabilizers to control yaw.
Dec 03, 2020, 10:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingW
Check this out during your next class. This group may have figured out how birds do it. Made a flying wing with similar attributes and no longer needed vertical stabilizers to control yaw.
Hey mate, thanks!

As it happens, I was just planning on doing some reading on the Prandtl-D this weekend, so this slots in great.
Dec 16, 2020, 04:36 PM
You know nothing....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ck3t
Hey mate, thanks!

As it happens, I was just planning on doing some reading on the Prandtl-D this weekend, so this slots in great.
Here you go!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5116-Prandtl-d

Proving Prandtl- With A Twist! (8 min 8 sec)

Quick Reply