Dec 01, 2020, 05:29 PM
Where's Pamela?
Thread OP
So I think a sub does breach the water surface. But you do not want the water to breach the sub's hull!
Broaching means to get sideways to a wave.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2020, 05:43 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
that's what I thought too...they(including Google and my ex bubblehead friends) say no..
Dec 01, 2020, 06:09 PM
Old Duffer
Where's the "Golden Rivet"?
What's "Relative Bearing Grease"?
Is a "Heaving Line" a group of people sick over the side?
Dec 01, 2020, 10:08 PM
KC8WPF
What sound does a sounding tube make?

Is the chip log an inventory of snack foods?
Dec 02, 2020, 05:16 AM
where can I get the free-board ? you see I have a new project I'm working on.
Dec 02, 2020, 08:25 AM
if you guys keep this up you will be given permanent bow look-out watch.. you will report any Bee one arrr Dees sighted and pray to the sea gods that you do not miss the mail buoy...
Dec 02, 2020, 04:19 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
Dec 02, 2020, 05:55 PM
than what exactly is a lay line
Dec 02, 2020, 06:32 PM
When you order running light oil, ensure you are getting the correct type for your light. It comes in red and green
Dec 02, 2020, 08:44 PM
KC8WPF
When I was assigned to USCGC CONFIDENCE (WMEC 619) a couple of the Boatswain's Mates made a new eye splice in the 8" double braided nylon towing hawser. The saved about 3' of the old eye and wrapped it in some plastic with an ID label with a National Stock Number and the following nomenclature: Wick, Lamp, Smoking. The following pipe was made over the ship's 1MC: "Now. Seaman Jones, lay to the Chief's Mess." Seaman Jones was seen carrying the smoking lamp wick down to the Bos'n Hole for storage.
Dec 02, 2020, 08:52 PM
KC8WPF
Similar to sound sailor's "Make it fast" story.

When I was assigned to CGC VIGOROUS (WMEC 627), my sea detail billet was "Foc's'le, Anchor Detail". That meant I ran the anchor capstan and it's brake when we dropped the hook. We had been anchored about 4 hours, and it was time to weigh anchor. As the anchor broke the water's surface, it was found to be foul with mud. A firehose was used to wash most of the mud off. The order came via the sound powered phone talker to "Hawse the anchor." The Chief Boatswain's Mate heard that as "How's (how is) the anchor." and replied "The anchor is foul." The CO came out on the bridge wing and yelled down "Chief that was an order, not a question."
Dec 03, 2020, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garboard
Is a "Heaving Line" a group of people sick over the side?
That's "chumming" with your "chums" so long as they're friendly people.

Andy
Dec 03, 2020, 02:37 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Is the rhumb line how they get the Gosling's out of the locker?

Dave
Dec 03, 2020, 03:04 PM
Old Duffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave
Is the rhumb line how they get the Gosling's out of the locker?

Dave
Bermuda at it's best!!

Funny thing, the name had nothing to do with the animal.....it was the color of the bottle seal. Regardless of the trivia, Goslings is the best sipping rum IMHO!
Dec 03, 2020, 03:55 PM
Old Duffer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
That's "chumming" with your "chums" so long as they're friendly people.

Andy
Friends or enemies they're all the same on that line. You just don't care. One thing you don't have to worry about is your mortality because you have to get better to die.

Quick Reply