Nov 30, 2020, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Servo frame screws strip too easy

What size of phillips head screw driver do you use for the tiny servo frame screws?
Do I need to buy a set of Japanese phillips head screw drivers?

All of the American phillips head screw drivers are too loose and the head of the screw gets stripped out.

Any suggestions? The frames are already glued into the wing of my Big Flap Xplorer.

Thanks in advance !
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2020, 08:09 AM
I purchased a set of the Japanese phillips head screw drivers years ago and love them, and yes, IMHO they make a big difference when installing servo screws and other hardware.
Dec 01, 2020, 09:01 AM
Search for JIS - or Japanese Industrial Standard screwdriver.
Last edited by Oilngas; Dec 03, 2020 at 08:51 AM.
Dec 01, 2020, 07:57 PM
Thread OP
Thanks! I bought a set off of amazon
Dec 02, 2020, 01:50 AM
Pure soaring - no motor
Very little oil on the screw helps a lot to reduce drag.
Dec 03, 2020, 03:52 AM
Hugh Blackburn
If the head of the screw is stripped, you likely have to use a pair of good pliers (e.g. assembly pliers) to get the rotation (back out again) started. It has happened to me a few times.

Bernd's suggestion is a good one. Another (I learned from my grandfather many decades ago) is to scrape the screw thread across a bar of soap before you first try to screw it in - soap is a pretty good lube for stuff like this, since it is largely fat. And/or drill the hole as large as seems reasonable, first.
Dec 03, 2020, 08:16 AM
Soap can also be corrosive although it sure works with wood screws.
Dec 04, 2020, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
What size of phillips head screw driver do you use for the tiny servo frame screws?
Do I need to buy a set of Japanese phillips head screw drivers?

All of the American phillips head screw drivers are too loose and the head of the screw gets stripped out.

Any suggestions? The frames are already glued into the wing of my Big Flap Xplorer.

Thanks in advance !
you could try an allen key head .

Quick Reply