This thread is privately moderated by Jim.Thompson, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 26, 2020, 10:17 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thread OP
Discussion

Hybrid construction method.

I have just finished building the wings for my Kaos hack aerobatic electric powered model.
The method uses a tapered carbon tube and was inspired by the current generation of F5J sailplanes, which commonly use a parallel tube I think.
I made the tube using a pool cue as a mandrel.
Layup for the tubes was:
1 inner layer of 60 gsm plain weave glass fabric on the bias.
1. layer of 300 gsm uni-directional carbon.
1 layer of 100 gsm plain weave bias oriented glass fabric on the outside, mainly to provide some torsional stiffness and to hold it all together.

The foam ribs were all cut together using the so called "laser method" and the holes to take the spars were all cut the same way. A pilot hole was roughly cut to thread the hot wire through before power was applied and it was then guided by hand around the inside of the holes in the end templates.

Spars glued to the foam ribs with PU glue.

1mm balsa caps glued to the ribs with white PVA glue.

3mm Pauwlonia sub LE first, then a final 6 mm Pauwlonia LE glued on after the caps were all fitted and trimmed.

The construction of the flying surfaces is all described elsewhere------I think?
Pintle and gudgeon hinges, otherwise known as "Pocket Hinges". 2 mm carbon rod pintle.

30 micron laminating film covering. Nice stuff to use!.......Dirt cheap and very strong.

Jim.
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Dec 24, 2020 at 06:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply