This thread is privately moderated by UpNup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 26, 2020, 07:41 PM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Making IJN Type 99 No. 80 Mark 5 bomb

The Imperial Japanese Navy (IJN) had a Type 99 Number 80 Mark 5 bomb that was 92.1" long, 16.1" tall. It weighted 1,756.6 lbs. or 796.8 kg. This bomb was strapped underneath the lead level bomber on Pearl Harbor. I made a 1/9 scale version that is to go on my B5N2 Kate. It is just over 11" long. There are two propellers at the end of the tapered tail that serve as fuses.

My first version was crooked and the planking was a distraction. A second version isn't perfect, but acceptable. One note is that I hid a basswood plank under the planking so that I can drill into it and mount it one day under that plane.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2020, 10:37 AM
How I learned to love the Bomb
Just wondering why you use the balsa contruction Vs foam? Seems like a lot of work your way.
Nov 27, 2020, 08:59 PM
Now I have to land that thing?
3D Print it?
Not to take away from the fun of working with balsa/bass...
Dec 01, 2020, 02:51 PM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Thanks for your concerns--I have some blue foam, but haven't experimented with that yet. And I wouldn't know where to start with 3D printing.

I'm on a limited budget and use scrap balsa to make doodads like this that add a lot to the planes. I do purchase unpainted pilots, but like to build as much as I am able with as many resources as possible that I already have on hand.

Quick Reply