Nov 25, 2020, 07:16 PM
Veteran Hobbyist
Thread OP
Discussion

Thunder Tiger Victoria - Sails missing metal grommets

Hello,

I recently picked up an old thunder tiger victoria. It appears to be one of the original kits produced. I'm almost done and ready to mount the sails. Upon inspection of the sails, I noticed the metal grommets are missing used to attach the sails to the lines. There aren't even any holes in the sails where the grommets "might" have gone. With the information in the manual and upon searching online I'm pretty certain the grommets should be there.

Is there any information I'm missing? Please see pictures attached.

Best regards,

Alex
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2020, 07:27 AM
Looks like they were missed at during production. Also looks like the corner patches got missed.
When making or repairing. I usually go for a patch of reinforcing tape each side. then stab a hole the right size with a hot soldering iron. This leaves a nice plastic grommet round the hole.
Nov 26, 2020, 09:23 AM

Victoria sails

The original blue and yellow sails that came with my new old stock Victoria also did not come with the grommets on the sails. I do be leave that was how the were originally produced, my kit came with a piece of clear self stick plastic batten material, the directions were to cut little triangles out of this batten material an stick them to the sails in the desired location then simply punch holes in them to tie sails onto the mast. The original sails, the blue and yellow ones were not very good sails. Most will recommend you to jest go a head a replace them. The newer Victoria, gen 2 and 3 sails are much improved over the first gen sails, they have the grommets installed and the jib has a fore stay in the luff edge, plus better sail material.
Nov 26, 2020, 11:12 AM
Veteran Hobbyist
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestdanny
The original blue and yellow sails that came with my new old stock Victoria also did not come with the grommets on the sails. I do be leave that was how the were originally produced, my kit came with a piece of clear self stick plastic batten material, the directions were to cut little triangles out of this batten material an stick them to the sails in the desired location then simply punch holes in them to tie sails onto the mast. The original sails, the blue and yellow ones were not very good sails. Most will recommend you to jest go a head a replace them. The newer Victoria, gen 2 and 3 sails are much improved over the first gen sails, they have the grommets installed and the jib has a fore stay in the luff edge, plus better sail material.
Thank you very much for the information! My kit was missing the original instructions and I've been using the instructions for the 2nd version (they were listed on the thunder tiger website). I will see if I have those plastic pieces. I did see the kit came with plastic strips, but I thought those were to be placed at three distinct locations. I'm thinking of using cloth tape for reinforcements and will then install metal grommets. I wish thunder tiger still sold sails. All the sails I see made by aftermarket companies are at least $80.
Nov 26, 2020, 03:05 PM

Victoria Sails

Just to pick a nit, I'll comment that Victoria sails we provide are $75 plus shipping. But, if you'll send me the sails missing the grommets, I'll put reinforcement patches on them, and new rolled brass grommets in each corner, and new headboards on main and jib with one day turn around for just the return postage of $10.00, no other charges. Rod Carr, CARR SAILS, 3011 177th Ave. NE, Redmond, WA 98052
Nov 26, 2020, 07:00 PM
Rod Carr is the best. He also makes fine quality sails.
Vic CAN 173
VM CAN 326
Last edited by papafoxtrot; Nov 26, 2020 at 07:12 PM.
Nov 26, 2020, 07:28 PM

Sails

If you are interested in learning all things sails you can find great article written by Mr. Carr of Carr sails. You can read it over at AMYA's web site under heading of sails left side bar. titled sails sorce of power #1 & #2 I thinks? I've read it least three times, good stuff.
Nov 26, 2020, 07:29 PM
Veteran Hobbyist
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodACarr
Just to pick a nit, I'll comment that Victoria sails we provide are $75 plus shipping. But, if you'll send me the sails missing the grommets, I'll put reinforcement patches on them, and new rolled brass grommets in each corner, and new headboards on main and jib with one day turn around for just the return postage of $10.00, no other charges. Rod Carr, CARR SAILS, 3011 177th Ave. NE, Redmond, WA 98052
That sounds amazing! I appreciate it! I have the sails packed up and plan to ship tomorrow. I can paypal you the return postage. This is my first rc sailboat. I actually am surprised how much I enjoyed building it, and can't wait to sail it. Although that will have to wait for nicer weather.
Dec 01, 2020, 07:24 PM

Victoria Sails

Alex:

Send me your e-mail address and we can work out some details on the outfitting of your Victoria sails. Do you intend to use mast loops to hold the mainsail to the mast? If so I can fit the reinforcements for that method. You'll need a luff hem for the jib stay to slide down into, I can do that also. I can also put the battens on the leech (after edge) of your mainsail.
No charges, just need an OK for work that will make the sails operational.

Rod Carr
CARR SAILS

Quick Reply