Nov 25, 2020, 03:37 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Dumas Osprey sea trials

Hello RC world,

First post here just finished my Dumas Osprey kit and took it on it’s second sea trial. The first time the coupling slipped off and I went for a swim to get it haha. With a little lock tight the second trial went perfect. This is my first boat and I am all new to building wood mode boats.

I tried to add a video from my phone but can’t seem to get it to work any ideas.

Link to video,
November 27, 2020 (0 min 44 sec)
Last edited by Mtierney1099; Nov 27, 2020 at 11:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2020, 06:04 PM
Lot of water; some gets thin
Welcome to the Forums. Never be afraid to ask questions of the infinite number of skilled folks here.
Nov 26, 2020, 09:18 AM
Most anything RC
Nice looking boat. About the video, upload it to YouTube, then add the url to your post.
Nov 26, 2020, 03:18 PM
boat butcher
Welcome to the forum. Boat looks great. There's a model boat club (Maritime Modelers) at Don Kanabe Regional Park in Cerritos (Bloomfield & 195th St). They meet on the 2nd, and 4th Sundays from 9:00-12:00. Their website is up now, I believe.

Mark
Nov 26, 2020, 11:04 PM
Nice job!
Nov 27, 2020, 09:50 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtierney1099 View Post
Hello RC world,

First post here just finished my Dumas Osprey kit and took it on itís second sea trial. The first time the coupling slipped off and went for a swim to get it haha. With a little lock tight the second trial went perfect. This is my first boat and I am all new to building wood mode boats.

I tried to add a video from my phone but canít seem to get it to work any ideas.
Never swim for a boat. Get your self a string or a fishing pole with a tennis ball for retrieval of stranded boats. We want to see you come back to the forums. Good job on the boat !
Latest blog entry: Blog
Nov 27, 2020, 11:16 AM
Thread OP
Liljimmy thanks for the advice, I thought about using a fishing pole but I was worried it would get caught in prop or do you mean when it is stuck try and cast and catch in and reel it in.
Nov 27, 2020, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by the goon View Post
Welcome to the forum. Boat looks great. There's a model boat club (Maritime Modelers) at Don Kanabe Regional Park in Cerritos (Bloomfield & 195th St). They meet on the 2nd, and 4th Sundays from 9:00-12:00. Their website is up now, I believe.

Mark
Really! I been looking around for a group in my area and I have not see much, I thought I would just have to just go by myself haha.
Nov 27, 2020, 01:20 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtierney1099 View Post
Liljimmy thanks for the advice, I thought about using a fishing pole but I was worried it would get caught in prop or do you mean when it is stuck try and cast and catch in and reel it in.
Yep ,just cast or throw over the boat and tow it in. The ball on the end will help to reduce the accidental damage done if a direct hit happened. And will float to help ď snagĒ the boat to bring it in . Just be gentle when towing. I have rescued my LST from a floating weed mat with just a bent railing .. I am going to call it good.. I got the boat back without getting wet
Latest blog entry: Blog
Nov 27, 2020, 05:49 PM
Just Limin'
Nice build. A lot of noise from from it, might want to try some grease in the stuffings tube , or a little oil.

Welcome to the group!

Scott
Nov 28, 2020, 07:43 AM
Fishing rod an tennis ball is a great way to retrieve a model yacht. I have shrunk my retrieval set up over the years to minimize the potential damage from a direct hit even more. In my loco pet supply store I find mini tennis balls for mini dogs, 1/4 size = 1/4 weight/ inertia, an on a good bass rod casts jest as far as the serf rod an lg. ball
Nov 28, 2020, 04:52 PM
Thread OP
Laser,

Thank you for the advice is there any grease you would recommend?

Quick Reply