Nov 24, 2020, 09:17 PM
Resident Crashologist
Thread OP
Discussion

Horus X10S a good upgrade from Taranis X9D+?

I'm hoping to get some feedback from Horus X10S owners to see if they think it is worth it to upgrade from a Taranis X9D. I don't really need the extra channels it offers, but am mainly interested in the quality of the gimbals, user friendliness, screen display, switch quality and placement, battery removal and charging, OpenTX issues, etc. I have had the Taranis for 3-4 years now and it has been a great radio. Also, is the Horus compatible with X8R receivers, I assume?
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2020, 07:25 AM
!= International Arms Dealer
wrong forum!

I think so, yes. I have examples of several FrSky radios - QX7, X9e, X10S and X12S. The X10s is an improvement over the X9/X7 radios in all the aspects you mentioned with the possible exception of battery removal depending on which version of the X10 you're considering.

The early X10 has its battery mounted internally and is only accessible by removing the back; the current X10 Express has a traditional battery hatch. The placement of the backup (clock) battery on the early X10 is also dumb as can be - it is placed on the front side of the main system board, so changing it necessitates a fair amount of disassembly.

They are both compatible with all the XnR receivers. The Express version is more future-proof out of the box as it supports all the D16 ACCST and ACCESS receivers. The older X10 can be upgraded to support ACCESS.

The ACCESS-compatible versions of either of the two radios drop support for the ACCST D8 protocol, so keep that in mind if you have some of those receivers in your hangar.
Last edited by visioneer_one; Nov 25, 2020 at 07:33 AM.
Nov 25, 2020, 09:16 AM
Resident Crashologist
Thread OP
Requested the mods / admins to move it to the FrSky forum.

Thanks for the info! I am looking at a new X10S or possibly a hardly used X12S. I definitely will steer clear of older X10S. I've heard that the main difference between the X10S and the X10S Express is the gimbals are much better on the Express. I've changed almost all of my planes to X8R, with a couple using a X6R receiver, so I'm glad they are compatible.
Last edited by AirMonty; Nov 26, 2020 at 09:08 AM.
Nov 28, 2020, 05:41 PM
Resident Crashologist
Thread OP
I can't keep up with the volume of responses, so I have to close this.

Quick Reply