Nov 28, 2020, 12:53 PM
I had one of those that flew just fine until I did a figure nine with it.
Not much different than a Sig 4*40.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2020, 05:07 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Reached my 6th flight with this model and it us just amazing in Electric form!
Carl Goldberg Tiger-2 Glow-To-Electric Conversion 6th Flight 11-28-2020 (7 min 1 sec)
Nov 28, 2020, 05:13 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
Is it that 5S is just too thick? This 5S pack is 27mm thick but shorter and narrower than the 22mm thick 3S 4000 Gensace you mentioned

But I can't see why that Leopard wouldn't work just fine on 4S. Sure the Kv and thus rpm is lower than with the Suppo, but rpm is only part of the story - as long as you can get enough diameter, pitch can help offset low rpm. With a 12x10 on 4S you could expect about 670W at full throttle and pitch speed of 80mph. That's pretty close in input power and better pitch speed than the Suppo.

But the near twice as big Leopard has significantly higher predicted efficiency at that 650-700W input power so output power should actually be higher than the Suppo and in the end it is predicted to give up only about 500 rpm at full throttle, easily compensated for by the higher pitch. Inflight at 40mph, predicted thrust for the Leopard is about 20% higher. If you liked the way the Suppo flew, I reckon you'd like the Leopard even more. A 12x8x3 could be worth a try as well. And if 13" was an option and you felt like some overkill, the Leopard would turn a 13x10 easily and put fangs and claws on your Tiger.
I do agree on all your points you made here. I will consider the larger Leopard with 13+ ounces.

I am looking for taller (longer) landing gear for this model to take advantage of larger propeller selection.
Nov 30, 2020, 03:05 PM
Pitts, Congratulations on your plane, it looks and fly's very nice. I have a Sig mid star 40 I'm working on as an electric. Well done, and Happy Fying....

P.S. I use Harbor Freight Wheel balancing weights, hot glued in to balance with. They come in 1/4 and 1/2 oz, and you get a lot more for 10 bucks, than the lead ones.
Nov 30, 2020, 05:37 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Thanks Jomur!

Will look for them.......
Nov 30, 2020, 07:15 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial
Paul,

It is amazing what you can do with a lower Power (Watt) system and still be able to fly a heavy formerly Glow model.

The days when we all had to afford was at least for me, large 550 Car/Truck Brushed Motors in gearbox and large Sub-C Ni-MH's packs that made the model even heavier than when it was Glow powered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I had one of those that flew just fine until I did a figure nine with it.
Not much different than a Sig 4*40.
Nice conversion Pitts. Flies great, just like a Tiger 2 should. I always liked the look of that plane. I also am from the old NiCd powered, brushed motor era. I used several geared Trinity Ruby and then the Kyosho Endoplasma 16 turn motors on 7 to 10 cells back in the day. Surprisingly good performance was possible. Apropos of nothing, I once met a fellow at an Eastern Kentucky fly-in. He was flying a structurally lightened Sig*40 on a geared motor of some sort and just 7 NiCds. Flew quite well on the wing. There was a sense of accomplishment back then when you got a conversion to fly well. Plug and Play has us spoiled these days.
Nov 30, 2020, 08:32 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
Nice conversion Pitts. Flies great, just like a Tiger 2 should. I always liked the look of that plane. I also am from the old NiCd powered, brushed motor era. I used several geared Trinity Ruby and then the Kyosho Endoplasma 16 turn motors on 7 to 10 cells back in the day. Surprisingly good performance was possible. Apropos of nothing, I once met a fellow at an Eastern Kentucky fly-in. He was flying a structurally lightened Sig*40 on a geared motor of some sort and just 7 NiCds. Flew quite well on the wing. There was a sense of accomplishment back then when you got a conversion to fly well. Plug and Play has us spoiled these days.
You hit the Nail.....

This is the reason I have been putting all those GLOW RC Airplanes up in front of the line in terms as my next project(s).

I am pretty much done with all this FOAM BNF and other terminologies!

There is nothing like getting a very well built (GLOW) RC Airplane model and slightly modify it to fly Clean Electric Power and use your imagination and brain power.

All these BNF's are killing people's brains!
Dec 01, 2020, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
Yeah,I remember reading all about using those motors at The Electric Flyers Only/The Ampeer...Ken Myers/ Keith Shaw were using those motors as well as Astro Flight. I flew GP Electric Cub with a Magnetic Mayhem/gearbox combo on 7 cells. Still have a some of those motors including WEP from a company out in Renton, Wa. Speed 500, a gear box and seven cells. My first was a Goldberg plane....can't remember the name but it was kitted for electric. A speed 550 type motor and 6 cell pack....flew like a lead brick. LOL.
Those were the days.
Dec 01, 2020, 07:31 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
Yeah,I remember reading all about using those motors at The Electric Flyers Only/The Ampeer...Ken Myers/ Keith Shaw were using those motors as well as Astro Flight. I flew GP Electric Cub with a Magnetic Mayhem/gearbox combo on 7 cells. Still have a some of those motors including WEP from a company out in Renton, Wa. Speed 500, a gear box and seven cells. My first was a Goldberg plane....can't remember the name but it was kitted for electric. A speed 550 type motor and 6 cell pack....flew like a lead brick. LOL.
Those were the days.
The WEP was from MEC. Best on 10 NiCds. Their gearboxes were great. I used a 4.6:1 ratio ( super box? )with an E3D with 10 NiCds and later I used their larger gearbox with a 96 tooth spur gear ( monster box? ) with a MaxCim on 8 LiPos to fly a 1/4 scale clipped wing Cub.

Do you mean the Mirage? I modified mine. I lessened the dihedral, and used a 2.5:1 MAS geared Kyosho MM reverse timed motor on 10 NiCds. It flew great.
Last edited by davecee; Dec 01, 2020 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added a pic
Dec 01, 2020, 07:47 PM
I recently sold my E3D (sadly but moving house is tough for a 1 piece E3D) that was fitted with an MEC Superbox and a Mega 22/20/2. Performance was great and so was the growl from the gears Still have 2 new Superboxes and some medium size inrunners waiting for the right project.
Outrunners might be easy, but if you want to pull some amps in a lighter package, hard to beat a geared inrunner.
Dec 01, 2020, 08:22 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco
I recently sold my E3D (sadly but moving house is tough for a 1 piece E3D) that was fitted with an MEC Superbox and a Mega 22/20/2. Performance was great and so was the growl from the gears Still have 2 new Superboxes and some medium size inrunners waiting for the right project.
Outrunners might be easy, but if you want to pull some amps in a lighter package, hard to beat a geared inrunner.
For sure. I also like the fact that by changing ratios, props and voltage, you can really optimize one motor for a wide range of aircraft.
I've got to admit though, that "easy" is a big factor in all I do these days.
Last edited by davecee; Dec 01, 2020 at 08:30 PM.
Dec 29, 2020, 08:26 PM
Right Rudder
Thread OP
I love the belt drive systems but, I just don't see them anywhere to be sold in the USA?

Such as this one as one example:

Quick Reply