Feb 25, 2021, 03:39 PM
Good to know Tean. Hope you'll share the main settings for iNAV when you have it dialed in.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2021, 03:38 PM

Spontaneous FC reboot & motor stops and/ or de-syncs mid air

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchcommando
i had similar problems with my baby croc..
random reboots whilst on the ground, never ever getting correct amp readings and spontaneous motor stops and/ or de-syncs mid air..
the FC in my croc has completely lost all my trust..

so i've ordered a hifon F7 AIO and will be building that one in the croc..
Gents,
did you ever found any reason for this random FC reboots and/or motor desyncs?
We`re having the exact same issues on two different Baby Crocs but won`t be able to fix it.
Its really annoying as it keeps to be spontaneous what prevents me flying into long range. Sometimes I can go 10 minutes without any issue, sometimes it reboots even on the ground and shows wrong values as described by dutchcommando. I don`t think its a esc/motor desync.
Besides that it flys super nice & smooth. GPS(and Rescue) works fine.

Any suggestions?
Mar 07, 2021, 02:20 AM

Baby croc 4 HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackytreehorn
Gents,
did you ever found any reason for this random FC reboots and/or motor desyncs?
We`re having the exact same issues on two different Baby Crocs but won`t be able to fix it.
Its really annoying as it keeps to be spontaneous what prevents me flying into long range. Sometimes I can go 10 minutes without any issue, sometimes it reboots even on the ground and shows wrong values as described by dutchcommando. I don`t think its a esc/motor desync.
Besides that it flys super nice & smooth. GPS(and Rescue) works fine.

Any suggestions?
same problem here drone drop out of the sky in mid-flight and sometimes GPS turn off and on again...
on video recorded on googles, you can clearly notice sudden voltage drop for one second and goes to normal voltage again when smashed on the ground...
luckily no damage, I sent a ticket to geprc i hope they will find a solution
if someone have a clue it will be great
Mar 07, 2021, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozor
I bought this quadcopter 2 months ago, but the first flight ended in a crash. FC is rebooted right in flight.
GEPRC sent a new FC, I haven't flown yet. But when testing in a room, the FC restarts when the battery is connected. Any idea why this might be happening?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MukMiEVqXQg
I have the exact same problem sudden FC reset in mid-flight and the bird falls from the sky...
also, GPS turns off and on occasionally I think it's because it is connected to a soft serial port and not to a real Uart...
did you solve the rest issue ?
Mar 09, 2021, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by effy
I have the exact same problem sudden FC reset in mid-flight and the bird falls from the sky...
also, GPS turns off and on occasionally I think it's because it is connected to a soft serial port and not to a real Uart...
did you solve the rest issue ?
Sorry, not solved for now.  was hoping that someone has a fix for this. I will try a FW update of the FC and also Jazz Mav on the ESCs.
Hope that works.
Mar 10, 2021, 08:32 AM
Has anyone mounted vertically a crossfire T antenna on the croc baby?
Mar 11, 2021, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
Yes, with the floppy antenna. The top half is supported by a cable tie and the ground half sticks out downwards and just bends out of the way when landing. All held with a little hot glue. Not very pretty but works better than the horizontal immortal T. I also tried it at the back of the quad but it didn't work as well. Just have to remember to set the transmitter aerial vertical before take off.
Mar 15, 2021, 12:48 PM
Thread OP

Inav on the Baby Croc

Well it's been a rather long and sometimes rocky road to get here but I've now got Inav setup pretty well on my Baby Croc. It's been difficult at times because it's winter in Scotland (constant gales and rain) but also because there seems to be almost no documentation that I can find on how to adjust the navigation settings (of which there are many) and the defaults are presumably worked out for considerably bigger and heavier craft because they're mostly useless on a tiny four inch quad. I've had the Croc go heading for the stars and and doing wall-of-death toilet bowl displays on several occasions but now it seems I've got it all going reliably and the acro tune is really nice.

One of the biggest rocks on the road was that the Geprc flight controller died a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps it died because it objected to all the poking and prodding I had been giving it to find ways of connecting the extra sensors, or perhaps it died because it just died. Either way it's got no 3.3V rail and so it's dead. By this time I had convinced myself that Inav was where I wanted to go and since the Geprc board isn't widely available I looked for a better alternative. There is an I-Flight Beast board that has the same dimensions as the Geprc unit and also has a baro, but it's not officially supported for Inav and it's expensive too. In the end I went for what I know and got a Matek F722 SE Mini and a cheap 4 in 1 ESC, but to remain true to my original goal I disabled the Matek baro so I'm not using anything unavailable on the original board. The upside of all this is the Matek board has a blackbox recorder and without this I would have been struggling to get things tuned.

So here's little goggle recording showing where I've got to. It starts of with a few flippy floppies and then a bit of me trying race around the line of the peat cuttings (don't laugh at my racing skills, I know they suck) which pushes the quad into its propwash on the corners and is nicely handled by Inav. Then there's a couple of low throttle vertical descents which you will see a bit of wobble at the bottom of. Then a bit of altitude hold (the altitude is at the right of the OSD) and then some GPS hold. It wobbles a bit when first engaged but settles down pretty well. It helps if I 'park' the quad manually before engaging hold. And finally a return to home and auto landing. It landed within 1.5 meters of the take off point which seems to be typical.

On the following flight I had the big battery on and at 900m out my phone rang and I was confident enough to engage GPS hold and answer it, which was good because it was my local hospital calling to invite me for a Covid vaccine jab. Result.

Baby Croc Inav (7 min 22 sec)
Mar 16, 2021, 10:32 PM
I like Spinning things

DJI / Crossfire / GPS / Current Sensor

This looks great Tean, impressive how far you've evolved your croc in short order. Future plans/testing as the weather permits?

Curious to know if there is a way to re-configure the board to get the current sensor working again if you have both the CADDX Vista DJI VTX and Crossfire config. Seems like it's been solved for the other variants.

You basically need 2 fully working UARTS and a full duplex soft serial on the board which doesn't cannibalize the current sensor in the process.

Ideally
UART1: GPS (hardware UART speed advantage vs Soft Serial) remapped on T1 R1
UART2: Crossfire (leave in place)
Soft Serial: DJI CADDX Vista on Led pad and xxx? (not the current sensor leg)
Re-enable current sensor in CLI once the leg is no longer bastardized and adjust Ports in Betaflight and outputs in CLI.

I've been enjoying the Croc in it's mainly stock configuration with the swap out of a simple linear dipole on the Vista and a Naked GoPro. Been posting some flight vids on YT, here's the latest from last week. My GPS rescue has been erratic and RTH barely works even under 13 sats; I am going to try to shield the GoPro wifi and have designed a strap mount to relocate it to the battery strap which I can share the STL. That being said it's saved me twice in long range situations over 3 miles out even if it flies like a drunk, but it's kept me airborne long enough to regain control even if flying away from home.

Skyline Dive & Glide FPV Long Range | GepRC Crocodile Baby LR 4" (2 min 56 sec)
Mar 17, 2021, 05:19 PM
Thread OP
So the current sensor problem afflicts the DJI version too then? A shame that none of the "expert" reviews I watched seem to notice this.

I don't have any DJI gear so I can only speculate, but what is the function of the serial link to the flight controller if you're not using the DJI remote? Is it only to carry telemetry for the OSD? If so, will it work with just the TX from the flight controller connected? That would leave a spare pad to possibly remap.
Mar 17, 2021, 08:05 PM
I like Spinning things
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tean
So the current sensor problem afflicts the DJI version too then? A shame that none of the "expert" reviews I watched seem to notice this.

I don't have any DJI gear so I can only speculate, but what is the function of the serial link to the flight controller if you're not using the DJI remote? Is it only to carry telemetry for the OSD? If so, will it work with just the TX from the flight controller connected? That would leave a spare pad to possibly remap.
Yes you're correct it's only for OSD info and requires both TX and RX as it uses RX as a listener/polling leg I think to accept information. Is it not possible to reroute RX away from the current sensor leg for soft serial? GepRC botched this a bit on an otherwise great product.
Last edited by drclawscat; Mar 17, 2021 at 09:10 PM.
Mar 18, 2021, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
In that case it doesn't look like there's an easy fix for the DJI versions. Perhaps the Matek M8Q Can Gps might be a solution. The wiring diagram on the Matek site seems to say it will do MSP with only one wire, which you could put on the LED pad and it will give you a Baro and Mag too, but at 40 here in the UK it's not cheap. Presumably the GPS reception will be much improved though.

Guzgog1960 was going to try one of these a couple of pages back. Any update on that?
Mar 19, 2021, 11:13 AM
Moved my immortal T to vertical. LQ much better now, no more drastic drops when i yaw
Mar 20, 2021, 11:41 PM
Got my Baby Croc the other day and loved it but had a VTX issue. I have the Analog Crossfire Version.

VTX will not do anything. With battery connected Device Ready is on NO.

I get OSD and video but its not on the right channel so it goes out in 30ft.

This thing rocks for the 30ft flips rolls everything I wanted in a freestyle and does long range!

I have been on this for days if anyone does have a FULL CLI for the Crsf Analog version please drop it as I reset mine and lost all settings.

I got it somewhat working but im back at the VTX issue. If anyone knows how to fix tht please let me know cant wait to get it working.
Mar 21, 2021, 02:25 AM
Thread OP
Can't help you with a full dump but there are diff files posted on the page 5 of this thread that should do the same thing as long as you reset the board before pasting them.

I've not been able to find any manual for the VTX in the Baby Croc but on there is a manual for the VTX200-Whoop on the Geprc website for which the functionality appears to be the same.

Quick Reply