May 26, 2021, 01:28 PM
Fight for the Right to FPV!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross

I thought the home arrow was not functional with BF and DJI goggles

When I enabled it, it was just a block in the view of the goggles
Just FYI, my distance to home and home arrow have all been working perfectly on my baby croc.

It will only function if I have the necessary GPS fix so when I start off my flight, I need to make sure that BF has a solid entry for my home point. Every once in a while, I will take off too early and have to quickly come back and land, disarm and start again with a solid fix. Otherwise my RTH function will not work properly in the even that I temporarily loose video reception during my flight or have some other critical issue.
Last edited by melsailsnorth; May 26, 2021 at 01:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 26, 2021, 02:03 PM
Build, crash...repeat
Funny, usually you can't arm until you have the GPS fix at least 6 satellites ( I think it's 6). How do you take off without a GPS fix? Unless you have this set: set gps_rescue_allow_arming_without_fix = ON
I use Crossfire and I set a widget to show Sat # telemetry on the screen, so I just sit and wait until the radio detects > 6, and then a voice prompt tells me satellite lock has been achieved. I usually wait a bit more to make sure the sat # is stable, and then I arm and take off. So far the GPS seems reliable for me but I have not tested it long distance.
May 26, 2021, 02:12 PM
Build, crash...repeat
OK first f/u on the antenna. I installed the new Caddx antenna; had to shorten the tubing around the wires to allow enough length to attach to the Vista. The antenna is shorter than the stock one too. BUT, I fired it up and it all works well! I am back in the game. I flew out over a mile yesterday and had good bitrate most of the time. So if anyone has trouble, try a new antenna!

By the way, has anyone tried the patch antennas for the DJI FPV goggles? Are they worth it? Do you really get that much more video penetration and quality? And how might that affect your video if you fly around yourself? I bought the iFlight Crystal unit with 2 patches and 2 omni stubby antennas but I have not installed it yet. Wondering if it's a waste of time.

Thirdly, I am successfully using the virtual current sensor on my baby Croc. I had to do some calibration to get it close, but it seems pretty accurate; at least close enough to warn me when I am running low. I highly recommend this so you know how much gas you have left in the tank.
May 26, 2021, 02:38 PM
Jesus Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth
Just FYI, my distance to home and home arrow have all been working perfectly on my baby croc.

It will only function if I have the necessary GPS fix so when I start off my flight, I need to make sure that BF has a solid entry for my home point. Every once in a while, I will take off too early and have to quickly come back and land, disarm and start again with a solid fix. Otherwise my RTH function will not work properly in the even that I temporarily loose video reception during my flight or have some other critical issue.
ahhh very kewl, I initially had the arrow enabled and must have taken off too quickly and removed it. my distance to home has worked fine. I'll enable the RTH arrow again
May 26, 2021, 02:44 PM
Jesus Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleRRon
By the way, has anyone tried the patch antennas for the DJI FPV goggles? Are they worth it? Do you really get that much more video penetration and quality? And how might that affect your video if you fly around yourself? I bought the iFlight Crystal unit with 2 patches and 2 omni stubby antennas but I have not installed it yet. Wondering if it's a waste of time.

I tried these (the CF wrapped ones not that it matters) and these and didn't care for either one of them.

currently fly these and i'm pretty happy with them been out 1.5 miles with stock baby croc and v1 goggles.

my buddy flies these
and is happy with them. I have a 2nd set of v1 goggles for my wife and I'm gonna put the VAS ones on those, but if they have better range she'll get my ORT antennas
May 26, 2021, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Funny, usually you can't arm until you have the GPS fix at least 6 satellites ( I think it's 6). How do you take off without a GPS fix? Unless you have this set: set gps_rescue_allow_arming_without_fix = ON
I use Crossfire and I set a widget to show Sat # telemetry on the screen, so I just sit and wait until the radio detects > 6, and then a voice prompt tells me satellite lock has been achieved. I usually wait a bit more to make sure the sat # is stable, and then I arm and take off. So far the GPS seems reliable for me but I have not tested it long distance.
Ya, I had initially set the allow arming without a fix so I didn't have to wait around when flying in the back yard. Now a days it seems like it grabs a fix almost instantly so I should really just change it back to stock.

Quote:
I've tried a number of the various aftermarket antennas. My bottom line findings were that they all seem to work pretty decent and range will depend on how focused the antenna is. If you want to save money, the biggest bang for the buck definitely comes with the bottom left antenna so that is worth upgrading if you want to optimize your range. You can still fly all around yourself at close range and you don't really start seeing video drop out with the higher gain antennas until you get out a quarter mile out or so and out of the antenna's angle of reception coverage. Then it's just a matter of becoming your own tracker and turning your head until you see your bitrates improve. It may be more dramatic if you switch all (4) antennas to high gain but from all the tests I've seen, that really doesn't buy you any significant improvement in range so what's the point... This (below) is my favorite combo ATM. Hugo at True RC consistently makes some of the best antennas available and he definitely deserves our support whenever possible!!
Last edited by melsailsnorth; May 27, 2021 at 11:13 AM.
May 30, 2021, 04:40 PM
Jesus Freak

Crazy crow

No crows were hurt for this video
Crow Dive (0 min 47 sec)
May 31, 2021, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth
Has any of the HD users yet tried to move the Vista onto the back set of holes which would free up plenty of room for either a 20mm or 25mm 4 way ESC/controller stack on middle hole set on this frame? Curious what replacement controllers are being chosen for those that end up replacing the stock controller because of all its limitations that we've discussed here.
This. Anyone? I'd really like to have a flight controller with a barometer, and a current sensor.
Jun 01, 2021, 09:20 AM
Jesus Freak
@melsailsnorth enabled the RTH arrow and works as it should, lol I don't like it though hahaha.

will probably put it off to the side view
Jun 07, 2021, 01:03 PM

BetaFPV Insta360 SMO a viable option or Naked GoPro?

Been looking to add HD recording camera to my Baby Croc w/vista. Looked at the Betafpv insta360 SMO but the baby croc produces so much jello in the reviews I have seen. I have not seen anyone tune it out of the quad so far with this camera. What are you guys using that gets successfully good looking HD video?
Jun 08, 2021, 01:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbjyb3nkb4
This. Anyone? I'd really like to have a flight controller with a barometer, and a current sensor.
When I looked into this I thought the most promising option was the I-Flight Beast F7 AIO which looks like a drop-in replacement and has a baro, but it is expensive compared to a separate controller/ESC combo which is what I eventually went for. There's plenty of space to stack an analogue VTX on top but I doubt if a DJI unit will fit.
Jun 08, 2021, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Company
Been looking to add HD recording camera to my Baby Croc w/vista. Looked at the Betafpv insta360 SMO but the baby croc produces so much jello in the reviews I have seen. I have not seen anyone tune it out of the quad so far with this camera. What are you guys using that gets successfully good looking HD video?
I have been recording with the SMO for a few months now and have had no issues with jello. My Baby Croc is bone stock aside from a new HD antenna and even without the ND filter it has been jello free. I had purchased three blade props just in case because two blades will often produce vibes where there were none with a triple, but I haven't had any need to run them and you get a slight efficiency boost with the stock props.

I have a friend who is running a stock setup with a GoPro (no case) and he hasn't had any issue either. I need to get some more flights up online but here's an older one (best viewed in 4K).

Table Mountain Flowers! (7 min 44 sec)
Jun 17, 2021, 03:29 AM
Hi.
Do you know an stl file for croc baby front and back arms for 3D printing?
Jun 27, 2021, 01:57 AM
Firepower

Firepower

Is this it or wrong quad?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4054381
Jun 28, 2021, 03:34 AM
Firepower

Firepower

Hmmm That looks like the bigger quad.

Quick Reply