May 04, 2021, 10:27 PM
Fight for the Right to FPV!!!
I think there's a few of us here that would love to get our current sensors working but as of yet, there's no really clear explanation in terms of remapping the digital/crossfire version to make this happen. I definitely think that it's possible and when/if we get to the point where it's a copy/past into the CLI, then I will be the first to jump on it, lol. I think a couple guys have already done it (with FRsky 900mhz) but unfortunately with the language barrier, I'm afraid I'd mess something up and end-up grounding my otherwise perfect little drone.
to remove ads between posts
May 05, 2021, 07:20 AM
Jesus Freak
Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth
...I'm afraid I'd mess something up and end-up grounding my otherwise perfect little drone.
my fear lol, I'm having so much fun with this little guy that I can live with a lot of the short comings. I'd love to go out 3 miles but I'm pretty content with the 1.5 miles I'm getting right now.
May 05, 2021, 08:00 AM
I think one of the solution in your case if you follow J2J2 setup and use only one wire for the gps communication by set up it to NMEA protocol
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=182
In this case you can freed up the B01 pin from the gps tx leg.
OR
Find a free pad on the board connected.to the CPU and not used yet. For example mR2 pad for sbus is not used in your CRSF case...so it can be used a softserial for the gps tx ..

Quote:
I think there's a few of us here that would love to get our current sensors working but as of yet, there's no really clear explanation in terms of remapping the digital/crossfire version to make this happen. I definitely think that it's possible and when/if we get to the point where it's a copy/past into the CLI, then I will be the first to jump on it, lol. I think a couple guys have already done it (with FRsky 900mhz) but unfortunately with the language barrier, I'm afraid I'd mess something up and end-up grounding my otherwise perfect little drone.
May 05, 2021, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltomi78
I think one of the solution in your case if you follow J2J2 setup and use only one wire for the gps communication by set up it to NMEA protocol
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=182
In this case you can freed up the B01 pin from the gps tx leg.
OR
Find a free pad on the board connected.to the CPU and not used yet. For example mR2 pad for sbus is not used in your CRSF case...so it can be used a softserial for the gps tx ..
Thanks, I think I could get that far with programing the GPS for one way communication and freeing up B01 from the GPS tx leg. But then would need to know how to remap so that controller begins to once again allow current sensor on the the B01 pin or however it utilizes that extra 1/2 of a uart. I'm terrible at resource mapping in the CLI, otherwise I'd probably just experiment till I got it working. Too afraid of breaking something.
May 06, 2021, 02:34 AM
Thread OP
For you guys using DJI and Crossfire who want to get your current sensor going, perhaps you could try setting your Crossfire to output S-Bus which only requires one wire to the FC. That would free up the TX2 pad which could presumably be remapped to accept the GPS wire that occupies the current sensor. I don't have any DJI stuff so can't verify this works but I can't see why it wouldn't. Of course you would lose telemetry from the FC to the receiver but is that really a big problem if you have telemetry in your OSD? You'd still get RSSI/LQ fed back to the TX so it can squawk warnings. I think it's a price I would pay to get the current sensor working.
May 06, 2021, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Thanks, I think I could get that far with programing the GPS for one way communication and freeing up B01 from the GPS tx leg. But then would need to know how to remap so that controller begins to once again allow current sensor on the the B01 pin or however it utilizes that extra 1/2 of a uart. I'm terrible at resource mapping in the CLI, otherwise I'd probably just experiment till I got it working. Too afraid of breaking something.
As i know..but maybe Tean knows better 😉
resource SERIAL_TX 2 NONE
resource SERIAL_TX 11 NONE
resource SERIAL_TX 11 A02 if you want to use T2 as softserial forgps
resource ADC_BATT 1 B00
resource ADC_CURR 1 B01
May 06, 2021, 11:17 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, that looks about right to me. And set the RX format to S-bus

You don't need to be afraid of breaking something with the resource mapping on a multirotor that has no servos. Just make sure you save a CLI dump before you start so you can always restore back to the starting point.
May 06, 2021, 11:41 AM
Thanks Tean,
That sounds like good advice. I just need to dig in and do some research to see if there is anything important that you loose with Crossfire by disabling telemetry. Crossfire has a pretty robust power switching feature that can really help preserve battery life whilst still maintaining great range when needed. I'm not sure if it's a feature that relies on telemetry but I'd guess it might.

One burning question I had that either of you might be able to help me with is this.... If you put the above code into CLI to map it to utilize the current sensor, does it matter if you still have that particular Tx pad on the flight controller still connected to something else like the GPS or the crossfire? In other words, can you test out the CLI commands without actually desoldering the other component that was using that resource? It would make it easy to test the mapping if so, and would be very easy to jump back to the stock wiring/mapping if it did not work out or if the board began to reset randomly like has happened for so many... As long as you have properly pointed it to another internal component, it seems like it would then just stop outputting signal to that tx pad but I'm not certain of that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tean
Yeah, that looks about right to me. And set the RX format to S-bus

You don't need to be afraid of breaking something with the resource mapping on a multirotor that has no servos. Just make sure you save a CLI dump before you start so you can always restore back to the starting point.
Last edited by melsailsnorth; May 06, 2021 at 11:55 AM.
May 06, 2021, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
I think if you just set Serial TX11 to none, and enabled the current sensor on B01 then it is likely that the current sensor would come to life with the GPS still connected, so you could probably test that without getting the soldering iron out.
I just looked in the Crossfire manual and it says that the Nano can helpfully be set to output non-inverted S-Bus which would save having to move the wire to the inverted RX2 pad, so you could enable this and try out S-Bus too without soldering.
Then you'd just have to move the GPS wire to the TX2 pad and enable TX11 there.
May 06, 2021, 03:56 PM
Quote:
I think if you just set Serial TX11 to none, and enabled the current sensor on B01 then it is likely that the current sensor would come to life with the GPS still connected, so you could probably test that without getting the soldering iron out.
I just looked in the Crossfire manual and it says that the Nano can helpfully be set to output non-inverted S-Bus which would save having to move the wire to the inverted RX2 pad, so you could enable this and try out S-Bus too without soldering.
Then you'd just have to move the GPS wire to the TX2 pad and enable TX11 there.
Awesome! I love the kind of testing where there's less of chance that I can screw something up
May 07, 2021, 08:05 PM
Curious if anyone has tried endeavored to do a thorough tune on this quad. It's been super windy here for the last couple weeks and it really brought out how loose mine was. When I started a traditional betaflight tune, I was amazed at how high you had to go up on the PID's to get this thing to oscillate or bounce back. I'm far from a master at PID tuning but was just curious if anyone could share results if they attempted a tune aside from the stock PIDS that this one came with. I've attached as far as Ive got thus far just to give an idea. This is a stock setup still running on 4S with a 1300mah. I've just never had another quad where I had to go up this high so maybe I'm doing something obviously wrong....
May 08, 2021, 02:41 AM
Thread OP
I never really made any effort to play around with the Betaflight settings but when I changed to Inav I tuned it from scratch and now it flies way better. I doubt this improvement is down to Inav being somehow superior to Betaflight; much more likely it's just that the stock tune is a bit sloppy and has much room for improvement.
May 08, 2021, 05:49 PM
Quote:
I never really made any effort to play around with the Betaflight settings but when I changed to Inav I tuned it from scratch and now it flies way better. I doubt this improvement is down to Inav being somehow superior to Betaflight; much more likely it's just that the stock tune is a bit sloppy and has much room for improvement.

Ya, I think you are right there.... Of course, we use such a incredible variety of batteries with this bird and that can make all the difference. My weight fluctuates between 265gm (flying a 4S 650) and just under 400 gm (flying a 4S 3000 Lion). That's some serious change for a little 185 gm (dry) quad and as such, we realistically need a minimum of two profiles set if we want it to fly at it's best regardless of the chosen battery. I have a feeling the stock tune was done with a 4S 650 or there abouts.
Last edited by melsailsnorth; May 10, 2021 at 05:41 PM.
May 10, 2021, 05:46 AM
Reply to a private message also here (sorry for the delay Ltomi78).

My resource mapping for GPS (on one wire: need betaflight code modification and re-build), r-xsr (on f-port), ADC working, and caddx vista :
(also notice I have remapped motor for a cleaner wiring: no more wire in front of usb port)

Quote:
resource BEEPER 1 B02
resource MOTOR 1 B05
resource MOTOR 2 B07
resource MOTOR 3 B04
resource MOTOR 4 B06
resource SERIAL_TX 1 A09
resource SERIAL_TX 2 A02
resource SERIAL_RX 1 A10
resource SERIAL_RX 2 A03
resource SERIAL_RX 11 A08
resource ADC_CURR 1 B01
Enclosed picture of my FC and betaflight port tab.
Fly almost 10h with this configuration with no issue .
PS: I also replace stock capacitor with a low ESR higher quality.
May 10, 2021, 05:27 PM
Thanks for reply and sharing your solution..nice job.
As i found a little bit complicated to rebuild BF..meanwhile i ve decided to use the Sbus on nR2 pad for Rc control and smart port on Tx2 as softserial for telemetry..and it woks
In this setup i have no working current sensor again as i put back gps leg on the current sensor leg again to keep the stock wiring. BUT it seems i could eleminate the random reboots by solder back the caddx vista to its original palce on T1 and R1 as you did. I think it is the most important part of this setup to prevent random reboots..or maybe this FC does not like the F.port on T1 pad
So i can live without current sensor...and it seems i have no reboots during 3 testflight with 10min duration. Of course it would be nice to find one more free pad for the gps to free up the B01 pad on the current leg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2J2
Reply to a private message also here (sorry for the delay Ltomi78).

My resource mapping for GPS (on one wire: need betaflight code modification and re-build), r-xsr (on f-port), ADC working, and caddx vista :
(also notice I have remapped motor for a cleaner wiring: no more wire in front of usb port)

Enclosed picture of my FC and betaflight port tab.
Fly almost 10h with this configuration with no issue .
PS: I also replace stock capacitor with a low ESR higher quality.

Quick Reply