May 01, 2021, 05:31 PM
Hi.
I made almost the same remap as you to make the current sensor working..i described my remap in this post at page 4

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=54

BUT now i m facing with the random midflight reboot issue as you and some others here. I m now thinking to resolder DJI to uart 1 again as you did. As i m using Frsky f port i d not need to use Rx2 pad on uart2 so maybe i can remap here the GPS Tx leg, but at first use i had issue on uart2 TX pad as Fport does not worked there.
I know u are using crossfire..but it would be useful if you can share your resource remap what finally worked for you to eleminate midflight reboots.?!
Also can you share picture of the FC to see the soldering routes?
Many thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2J2
Back from maiden flight

Random reboot fixed (caddx vista on UART1 solve this problem, very strange but maybe some board design difference or maybe PPM on RX2 set by default in resource mapping (not try vista on UART2 with PPR resource to NONE))

GPS working on one PAD : only LED pad as softuart rx.
But you need to re-build betaflight to restore support of NMEA Tx only. Add "#define GPS_NMEA_TX_ONLY 1" into this file https://github.com/betaflight/betafl.../main/io/gps.c and compile.
You need also to configure your GPS to output NMEA message with ublox tool: u-center. In same time you can tune your gps configuration because Betaflight was no more talking to GPS to set some setting like assist now, update rate or precision mode.

Then current sensor works, GPS works, DJI OSD works, and full uart for radio receiver .

Next step: expressLRS .
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2021, 06:21 PM
Jesus Freak
Off topic from the baro and gps discussion, but took the baby croc out 1.6 miles today, my first long range flight. About 300 ft up and zero bars on dji so came back
May 02, 2021, 06:32 AM

Midflight random FC reboot on HD crocs

Hi anybody here using as stock setup Caddx vista HD and Frsky r9 receiver with F.port.???
Can you share the stock soldering points on the FC and the stock dump.
Based on the manual from geprc..they suggest to connect Fport to T1 and DJI/ caddx Hd also To uart1 T1 and R2.
As i wrote previously if i connect the caddx vista to uart 2 t2 and r2 it causes random fc reboot midflight and crash with serious voltage drop during the reboot.

The gperc aio manual note this what does it mean:
"Note: the receiver and the graph transmission cannot share a port, so when the receiver is connected to T1, the graph transmission needs to be connected to T2 port."

So please share your dump and FC soldering picture with a stock build croc with Caddx vista and R9 receiver with F.port
Many thanks
Last edited by Ltomi78; May 03, 2021 at 04:43 AM.
May 02, 2021, 11:48 AM
Fight for the Right to FPV!!!
That's awesome!! Definitely a great feeling to get out that far!! So Dr. Clawscat has had his out over 3 miles and he told me to forget about how many bars you have and just monitor your video transmission rates which will start to consistently drop below like 10 when you are getting close to loosing video. As he told me, there's normally a whole lot left in the tank after the bars drop to zero.

So what antennas are you currently running on your goggles and quad at this point? My best so far has just been two miles so I'm about where you are also. But I'm hoping to keep getting further as my confidence in the equipment continues to get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
Off topic from the baro and gps discussion, but took the baby croc out 1.6 miles today, my first long range flight. About 300 ft up and zero bars on dji so came back
May 02, 2021, 12:04 PM
Jesus Freak
thanks! yes definitely a great feeling! and since I knew my max range I felt a lot better exploring the huge field that was in range.

you nailed it, "further as my confidence in the equipment continues to get better." Yesterday, I was using some bogadas, I'll have to check the brand, today i was using some shields again will check the brand later (heading out to church)

what's the lowest video transmission rate? lol, since my rth works I have thought of flying out till I loose video but kinda chicken cause i'm having so much fun right now and don't want tot lose the quad hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsailsnorth
That's awesome!! Definitely a great feeling to get out that far!! So Dr. Clawscat has had his out over 3 miles and he told me to forget about how many bars you have and just monitor your video transmission rates which will start to consistently drop below like 10 when you are getting close to loosing video. As he told me, there's normally a whole lot left in the tank after the bars drop to zero.

So what antennas are you currently running on your goggles and quad at this point? My best so far has just been two miles so I'm about where you are also. But I'm hoping to keep getting further as my confidence in the equipment continues to get better.
May 03, 2021, 06:41 AM
What's a great plugin replacement for the stock gps module (bn220)? I lost mine after a crash
May 03, 2021, 07:17 AM
Have you used r9mini ota with F.port on uart2 T2? Do you have wroking telemetry and rc control on your radio? So by resourcing ppm to NONE solve that issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by x4FF3
hi,

so as i have the same version as bubuu, i fixed it in two ways:
- rewiring
- fixing the the resources

so what geprc did f*ck up, is that they defined uart pins multiple times... an UART2 pin was also defined as PPM and denied UART2 from working correctly.

so here is the betaflight CLI snippet to fix the analog/tarsier version:

Code:
resource SERIAL_TX 11 NONE
resource SERIAL_RX 11 NONE
resource LED_STRIP 1 NONE
resource PPM 1 NONE
resource SERIAL_TX 11 A08
save
for the rewire. i put the GPS on UART1 and my R9Mini-OTA on TX2 and the VTX on softserial
May 03, 2021, 07:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danong
What's a great plugin replacement for the stock gps module (bn220)? I lost mine after a crash
A new one.
May 03, 2021, 08:39 AM
Jesus Freak
Quote:
So what antennas are you currently running on your goggles and quad at this point? ...
@ melsailsnorth these bogotas and patch, stock baby croc antenna on the quad.

What are you running on the quad?
May 03, 2021, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheCross
@ melsailsnorth these bogotas and patch, stock baby croc antenna on the quad.

What are you running on the quad?
On my quad I'm running a homemade extended dipole. I've been experimenting with linear lately so on my goggles I'm running a biquad and a linear patch. For the (V1) DJI goggles, I read that the primary antenna used is your left lower so I have the biquad there. Hoping to do some tests with this config once the wind cuts back. When I did my last two mile run I was just running a couple left hand polarized crossfire's on the goggles.

I think someone here mentioned that the stock antenna on the baby croc wasn't that good so I ditched it pretty early on. I guess it's not too bad if you are getting that far out, lol...
May 03, 2021, 04:45 PM
Build, crash...repeat
For those using the Caddx Vista with Crossfire version- what are you using for radio signal strength(RSSI) or link quality (LQ) on the goggle display? I can't remember what the heck I did to set it up-followed either J. Bardwell or Oscar Liang to get XF LQ to display as "RSSI". Anyway, it seems to work OK and I don't think I've gone less than 99% so far, have had it only maybe 1 km out so far. I too am not confident in the GPS rescue function. I've tested it a few times; it's worked most, but not all of the time. One time it tried to land where it was when I tested GPS rescue and another time it flew off in another direction and the home arrow seemed to wander and not point to home. My only safety blanket is the Crossfire, as long as I fly smart, I should not lose radio control with that.

I am also annoyed by the lack of current sensor to monitor battery capacity left. I didn't know until I got it. How do you run a long distance quad without knowing how much juice you have left??? So far I've just taken short trips, noted the flight time, and used my smart charger to see how how many amps were left. Then I've estimated how much flight time I will have discharging the lipo down to 20% and set my warning on the radio to that time.

Just thinking; does Crossfire Nano provide battery amperage used or left as telemetry that I can receive on the radio?
May 04, 2021, 06:24 AM

Croc caddx vista + Frsky r9mm smart port and Sbus full telemetry

Hi.
As my previous setup described heres https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=54 caused random midflight reboots when using F.port on uart t1 and vista hd on uart 2..i ve decided to go back to the stock wiring and use SBUS rc control on mR2 pin and vista soldered back to uart 1 as others done here. Gps leg also went back to the stock smd pin so i wont have current sensor for first test.
BUT i ve also decided to give a try and test Smart port telemetry by adding an extra softserial on T2 pad. So i remaped this A02 pint as softserial and connect it to R9mm inverted smart port (bottom pin on the receiver) and it WORKs ..currently on the table.
So i will give a try with this setup sbus with full telemetry on seaparate smart port. If it also rebootinf randomly i will decrease telemetry baud to decrease CPU load...if not helps i will use it only with Sbus or change to a new FC.
But i hope it can work without reboots
May 04, 2021, 10:47 AM
So from what I understand of your post, are you guessing that these random system reboots are because of an overloaded CPU?

I've already lost one board due to problems with the board's BEC/power and I've always assumed that the reboot tendencies were also related to the power system (but that was just a guess).

Could you not have decreased telemetry baud rates (and CPU load) without going back to stock wiring or did the addition of current sensor monitoring also help put the CPU load over the top?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltomi78
Hi.
As my previous setup described heres https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=54 caused random midflight reboots when using F.port on uart t1 and vista hd on uart 2..i ve decided to go back to the stock wiring and use SBUS rc control on mR2 pin and vista soldered back to uart 1 as others done here. Gps leg also went back to the stock smd pin so i wont have current sensor for first test.
BUT i ve also decided to give a try and test Smart port telemetry by adding an extra softserial on T2 pad. So i remaped this A02 pint as softserial and connect it to R9mm inverted smart port (bottom pin on the receiver) and it WORKs ..currently on the table.
So i will give a try with this setup sbus with full telemetry on seaparate smart port. If it also rebootinf randomly i will decrease telemetry baud to decrease CPU load...if not helps i will use it only with Sbus or change to a new FC.
But i hope it can work without reboots
May 04, 2021, 01:20 PM
Hi.
Dont know yet the real reason of random reboots. As it comes so unpredictably we think it CPU related. But i done the rebuild because I ve read J2J2 posts in this thread, that using caddx on uart 1 solve this issue. I used caddx on uart 2 as F.port working only on uart 1..others also proved this here.
I went further as i dont want leave telemetry option..so i ve tried this setup good old SBUS and separat smart port with fr sky. It seems its working despite it needs one more softserial on uart 1 T1 pad for smart port.

Today i made two bench tests in the garden.. there were no issue during a 12 and a 10 minutes flight with two different batteries.
So it seeam putting caddx back to uart 1 solved the reboot issue.
Right now i cannot use current sensor as i also put back the gps tx leg to its original place.
I have uart 2 R2 pad which is free probably i can remap here the softserial tx for the GPS. Need also testing to check it cause reboot or not.
But anyway now i have sbus rc control and full telemetry on smart port with r9mm (without current of course) without any random reboots. ��
Quote:
So from what I understand of your post, are you guessing that these random system reboots are because of an overloaded CPU?

I've already lost one board due to problems with the board's BEC/power and I've always assumed that the reboot tendencies were also related to the power system (but that was just a guess).

Could you not have decreased telemetry baud rates (and CPU load) without going back to stock wiring or did the addition of current sensor monitoring also help put the CPU load over the top?
Last edited by Ltomi78; May 04, 2021 at 01:27 PM.
May 04, 2021, 02:39 PM
Can i use 2 sofserial on the UART 2 ...while im using Sbus on mR2 pad?
If yes i can free up the current sesnor from gps again..and put TX leg on R2.
As i know No other option for softserial pad in case using caddxx vista on tx1 and rx1
Like this marked with red on the pic.

Quick Reply