Nov 21, 2020, 07:41 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP

Hobby King Graphene's vs other lipos ?

Hi All,
In the last two years I have flown my model both warbirds and sport pattern planes on Hobby King Graphenes.
I dont abuse packs, I always storage charge, balance charge, and try to fly down to 3.78 to 3.80.

The Graphenes are heavier then most packs and my CGs are set using these packs. I have to say I have read all the hype and banter on cheaper packs but as a non - sponsored user of these HK packs , I am quite happy .
My question for the brain trust on RCG is as follows.
1) are there other brands of Graphene's that are both reliable and possibly lower cost ?
2) are their other brands of Graphene's that are are lighter then the Hobby King brand.
3) are there other brands of Lipos, that are as powerful or reliable ?
My goal is :
Power, reliability, same or lower cost with the ultimate goal of a lighter pack.
Thanks for the advice
to remove ads between posts
Nov 22, 2020, 04:26 AM
Suspended Account
I am not a lipo guru, but my favorite lipos are Turnigy HD 60Cs.. My main lipo size is 4S 2200, and I have Graphenes too, but they are bigger and heavier. I fly for ex. EFXtras and hopped up 4S Parkzone warbirds, as well as various others with similar power setups, and for me, for the money, the Turnigy HD 60Cs are the best combo of value (especially when on sale), performance, durability, size, etc...

I have bought and would buy Graphenes if on sale though. They don't seem to be on sale as often anymore as they used to be...

For 4S 3300s I would always buy more of and recommend the Rhino 50Cs...

In the US people seem really keen on the new Liperiors, but they aren't here in Europe so are of no interest to me...
Nov 22, 2020, 06:20 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Thanks Sir i will look into those suggestions
Nov 22, 2020, 08:47 AM
Why go do high on C? You just add weight abs discharge curves not really different... very few planes draw more than 20c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nov 22, 2020, 11:18 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Doc
I don’t understand some of the complexities.
When I started in this I simply went with manufacturers suggestions, so all my packs are high C and I have to say I was quite pleased with the results.
Most of my packs act as functional weight, especially in short nose warbirds
Nov 22, 2020, 12:02 PM
Suspended Account
I just err on the side of high C. I do like faster planes, and a higher C lipo just gives you versatility - and therefore durability. I.e. better high C on a low draw power setup than the reverse... I guess if all you do is fly trainers slowly then yeah, a "30C" lipo would be fine. Of course almost no C labels are anywhere near the real C anyway...
Nov 22, 2020, 12:31 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Probably why I have had great results with 50 + C ratings
Nov 22, 2020, 10:56 PM
The c has nothing to do with the voltage curve with typical lipos right? The current you can draw is capacity x C. So given X power draw you get to 3.7!volts along the same curve

My question was
1. Does graphene change that curve . If so awesome !!!
2. If not Why carry all that extra weight slowing down the plane
3. I see people going down on mah to save weight to keep a high C but this is linear 30c 2600mah has same current as 60c 1300mah

But what plane needs more than 20-30even in 3D?

My extra 300 has a 80amp ESC. So a 2700 30c has more than enough (2.7 x 30). Ditto for the a10 EDF.

Seems like carrying more weight solves nothing. Better to be lighter and more maneuverable or trade for capacity.

However this high C is what everyone is doing and can’t figure out why? Am I missing something or collective delusion? [emoji2368]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nov 23, 2020, 12:09 AM
Suspended Account
Your “30C” is not 30C for one thing.

Likely not even close.

My reasoning is to have a cushion, whether I fly a battery down lower than I intended to or whatever the case may be. Higher C lipos can handle more abuse, and though it is not my intention to abuse them, I like having the cushion or backup or whatever you want to call it… So ultimately they won’t puff so easily and will last longer. Again, I am not a battery guru but that has been my rationale...

Also, maybe my next plane will be an EDF and I want to be able to use the batteries I already have…

I bought some Rhino 4S 2200 “50C”s a while back, and somebody tested them at something more like 20C. Note : I think that size battery is an exception, as some of the other sizes of that brand have come much closer to a true 50C. If you look in the battery load comparisons thread you can see that a lot of lipos are very far off the C rating on the label…

So anyway, i’m sure for some of my planes I could get by just fine with lighter lower true C lipos, but for the reasons given I prefer to err in the other direction…. All that said, I have kind of settled on the position that Graphenes are in fact heavier than what I really need, so they are not my first choice. I would still buy them on sale though…
Last edited by Herrsavage; Nov 23, 2020 at 12:24 AM.
Nov 23, 2020, 04:46 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
I do have to believe that the 30 c as stated above is not 30 C . I know for a fact early on the battery’s from Hobby King are all rated under the real C stated. The same with a new low cost supplier sold on RCG.
The guys in the thread ( while happy ) did not get the exact matching capacity as stated.
Now I dont into the nitty gritty, real results for me are as stated .
I am running a 60 size Kaos at high speed full throttle most of the flight, brutal maneuvers.
Most of the glow /gas guys can not believe the speed and endurance. I run hard for about 5 mins and land . When I land with a 6 cell GRaphene, not even warm, in fact my 100 amp ESC is warm, but not the lipo . No puffy, nothing.
Same plane , normal lipo zippy , came size ect, Iighter comes down hot slightly puffed ( very small ) . Same plane Nano Tech lol , puffy tech grow dangerously inflamed.

80” P40 , 2x4cell 5000 packs, same process, same brands, my packs all evolved to Graphene.
So what I am finding from this thread and one other “value brand “ thread is that no one can really suggest anything better then the Graphenes. Ok so I save few dollars now, only to have a puffed pack later, no thanks.
I thinks this thread and others like it is proving you can chose low cost short term or spend a little more, have the higher performance and assurance that your packs and plane will be ok
Nov 23, 2020, 11:07 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Ldm, first lets be clear there is no graphene in any LiPo pack yet. Just more of the "good stuff".
More of the good stuff makes a pack heavier and with this comes higher real world C ratings and lower IR.
Lower IR makes a pack more durable and cycle life have been found to be extremely high; often over 1000 cycles.
Obviously you like the Graphene line. Great. Try their Panther line or for a slightly better quality OR or a much less price, try the new Liperior packs. Their numbers are very impressive.

Rick
Nov 24, 2020, 05:34 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Thread OP
Hey Rick , thanks . I dont know the battery chemistry lingo, as you can imagine at the field guys say “ what lipos are you using “ my response ‘Graphenes “ so we just call all packs lipos but I get the correction. So in reality I assume a lipo is not in the same chemistry class a Graphene.
On the purchase side I have trying to but the sizes I need on the Liperior packs but always out of stock. Thanks for the suggestions and will look into all your tips
Nov 24, 2020, 09:25 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
I read new stock is due in about 2 weeks.
They are all LiPo's butvperhaos we should call them "Heavies". ��

Quick Reply