Nov 20, 2020, 07:40 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

250gram/8.8oz question

I’m looking for an intro to 3D and need to stay below 250grams or 8.80oz for local laws.

I was set on the Twisted Hobbys standard 32Inch Crack Yak. The twisted website states an AUW = 7.2oz with LG (weight with 2s 25c 450mah), but after reading the threads here it appears many are coming in over 9oz on their standard YAK. It is also hard to tell what servos, motor etc were used.

First question. Is it reasonable to expect the Twisted Hobby’s standard 32” YAK, with the recommended power combo, to come in under 250g/8.8oz?

Second question. If it is not reasonable to expect, what would you recommend? YAK mini or YAK lite for an intro aircraft?

It will be a back yard flyer.

Thanks

Dan
Last edited by Dan McSweeney; Nov 20, 2020 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Clarity
to remove ads between posts
Nov 20, 2020, 08:59 PM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan McSweeney
I was set on the standard YAK. ..........................
Dan
Dan,

What is the "Standard YAK"?
Links and/or pictures will assist the reader greatly to know what you are talking about.

Jim.
Nov 20, 2020, 10:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jim,

On re read of my original post I realize it was a little lacking. I am looking solely at twisted hobby’s 3D mono wing foamies.

Twisted hobbys 32inch standard series

https://twistedhobbys.com/th-32-epp-...-landing-gear/

Link to twisted hobbys various 3D mono wing aircraft. Mini series. Standard series. Lite series, super lite series.

https://twistedhobbys.com/aircraft/3...ic/monoplanes/
Last edited by Dan McSweeney; Nov 20, 2020 at 10:44 PM.
Nov 20, 2020, 11:03 PM
Entropy is happening!
Thanks Dan.
I have learned something about a part of aeromodelling I know little about.
It appears as though it would be a good model for flying in the yard, indoors or in the local park. Increase ones flying abilities no end, I should expect.

Jim.
Nov 21, 2020, 10:09 AM
Quote:
I’m looking for an intro to 3D and need to stay below 250grams or 8.80oz for local laws.

I was set on the Twisted Hobbys standard 32Inch Crack Yak. The twisted website states an AUW = 7.2oz with LG (weight with 2s 25c 450mah), but after reading the threads here it appears many are coming in over 9oz on their standard YAK. It is also hard to tell what servos, motor etc were used.

First question. Is it reasonable to expect the Twisted Hobby’s standard 32” YAK, with the recommended power combo, to come in under 250g/8.8oz?

Second question. If it is not reasonable to expect, what would you recommend? YAK mini or YAK lite for an intro aircraft?

Thanks

Dan
I wouldn’t worry too much about it, or are you anticipating someone showing up to actually weigh your plane when flying? I’d guess the only time it would be an issue is if you were involved in some kind of incident such as hitting a vehicle or person, but as long as you’re flying responsibly I can’t imagine an ounce or two is going to get you tossed in the klink or a hefty fine.
Nov 21, 2020, 12:09 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I would go with the 32 Standard. It could be the Yak, or one of TH 's other planes in that class. I like the looks of the Slick. You won't have any trouble staying under 250g. Close to 200g is achievable.

TH also offers light and super-light categories. But the foam is thinner, so less robust, and most of the models have external carbon struts for stiffness. Effective...but I don't like them.

Backyard flyer -- Any of the Standard 32's are perfect. I don't know if there are any subtle differences in the flight performance of the offered models, but I doubt someone new to 3D would even notice them. So choose what appeals to you and be stingy with glue and such to keep it light.

There's a well attended Twisted Hobbys Owners thread you should find. Questions there will reach a number of experienced and well-informed 3D fliers.
Nov 21, 2020, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys. Appreciated
Nov 23, 2020, 12:47 AM
Quote:

Thanks

Dan
I have the same requirement, must keep under 250g.

I would suggest the Laser 32” super lite. Well under the weight limit. Is there some reason you want the regular version, maybe crash resistance? If you will be flying in low wind conditions and don’t crash a lot the super lite is the way to go.
Nov 23, 2020, 01:11 AM
Laser is a Lite , not super lite. Laser Pro is the super lite.
Nov 23, 2020, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecheek1
Laser is a Lite , not super lite. Laser Pro is the super lite.
Yep, forgot the Pro part
Nov 23, 2020, 11:28 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmm
I have the same requirement, must keep under 250g.

I would suggest the Laser 32” super lite. Well under the weight limit. Is there some reason you want the regular version, maybe crash resistance? If you will be flying in low wind conditions and don’t crash a lot the super lite is the way to go.
Define don’t crash a lot.

I plan on pushing my limits. So my thought process was the most durable under 250g.
Nov 24, 2020, 01:15 AM
Entropy is happening!
Yeah, I don't crash a lot either. Not more than once a week!
And that is on a week that I get out to have a fly!..................
Nov 24, 2020, 05:56 PM
Quote:

Thanks

Dan
I've had my Extra Slick since shortly after they came out long ago. It doesn't have landing gear, (an option back then) but does have TH's light kit on it. I have done many repairs and reinforcements to it over the years. Still flies like it did when new. I just weighed it with a Gens Ace 2S 450 mah battery. Exactly 8 ozs. (227 grams).
Nov 25, 2020, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirpster
I've had my Extra Slick since shortly after they came out long ago. It doesn't have landing gear, (an option back then) but does have TH's light kit on it. I have done many repairs and reinforcements to it over the years. Still flies like it did when new. I just weighed it with a Gens Ace 2S 450 mah battery. Exactly 8 ozs. (227 grams).
I find that 3D foamies don’t need landing gear if you are landing on grass. I have a hobby king wargo yak foamie with 600+ flights on it and no landing gear, still flies fine. Saves some weight.
Nov 25, 2020, 05:14 PM
pull up -- PULL UP!!!
I generally have to fly off dirt and still use no LG. Just a flop-down landing or a hand catch. Back when I started, the LG was always the first part to take damage.

Quick Reply