The wind ?

how much wind do you fly in? this is for elec planes 11.00 mm or bigger
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2020, 10:06 AM
A man with too many toys
15 mph
Nov 19, 2020, 10:25 AM
Arrowhead
Depends. If it’s down the runway or only slightly to either side, probably 25 km/h or so. Also depends on the plane. Larger, heavier models are less problematic.

Frankly if it wasn’t for that pesky, mandatory landing thing I might not care about the wind at all! It has zero effect on the airplane’s flight performance, its only an issue when the aircraft has to touch the ground.
Nov 19, 2020, 10:37 AM
Tyro of the Hudson
i guess gusting around ten is where I stop. Smooth, consistant flow I go a bit more.

When my cub struggles to get back to me against the wind it is time. Plus if the wind is so bad I cannot fly relatively scale my fun factor drops.
Nov 19, 2020, 10:38 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CF105
Depends. If itís down the runway or only slightly to either side, probably 25 km/h or so. Also depends on the plane. Larger, heavier models are less problematic.

Frankly if it wasnít for that pesky, mandatory landing thing I might not care about the wind at all! It has zero effect on the airplaneís flight performance, its only an issue when the aircraft has to touch the ground.
Itís also a problem if your power is not enough to fly forward at WOT.

Bob
Nov 19, 2020, 10:51 AM
When I was learning RC in Michigan many years ago, one of the ďold handsĒ Jim Larsen, said if it wasnít too windy to stand, it wasnít too windy to fly. So I head out to the field on a slightly windy day and find him laying out on the grass napping. It was too windy to fly.
Nov 19, 2020, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turner air
You meant 1.1 meters, not 11 millimeters - didn't you?

I generally wait for a day when the air is moving 5MPH, or less. But ofcourse, I'll fly if I'm out at the field and gusts come up to 10MPH, or so.
Nov 19, 2020, 10:58 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SplashCrash
You meant 1.1 meters, not 11 millimeters - didn't you?

I generally wait for a day when the air is moving 5MPH, or less. But ofcourse, I'll fly if I'm out at the field and gusts come up to 10MPH, or so.
I took it as1100 mm, that’s just over a 43” span

Bob
Last edited by sensei; Nov 19, 2020 at 11:04 AM.
Nov 19, 2020, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
1100 mm or 43in
Nov 19, 2020, 11:15 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
1100 mm or 43in
43.3”

Bob
Nov 19, 2020, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
OK , you win
Nov 19, 2020, 11:31 AM
San Antonio TX.
Quote:
OK , you win
There is nothing to win, liars can figure, but figures donít lie, or at least thatís what I have been told.

Bob
Nov 19, 2020, 11:35 AM
That thing almost hit me
Quote:
Lots....
Nov 19, 2020, 11:57 AM
HobbyView/RCRoundtable
Quote:
Really depends on the plane.
I usually pick higher wing loading planes for windy days.
But it is mainly personal preference. I've flown much smaller planes in 20mph winds and had fun doing it. For some people, anything over 5mph is annoying.
Experiment and settle on what you prefer.

Besides, wind makes you a better pilot.
Nov 19, 2020, 11:59 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Park-flying? Usually 8mph or so, which almost always works out since I end up flying at dusk.

Occasionally I'll hit the slopes. Dont really correlate size w/ wind there.
Here's my baby fox carving up some 18mph+ winds
MDM-1 Micro Fox Aerobatic Glider Slope Soaring (0 min 56 sec)

Quick Reply