What the Heck Wednesday - Boeing 787 Crash

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a sad brutal crash on a nice looking RC Boeing 787.

Splash

What the Heck Happened?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a sad brutal crash on a nice looking RC Boeing 787. It had a ton of power based on the first fly by and looked to be flying great. It sounds awesome too with the twin EDF's pushing a ton of air through the nacelles. After a few minutes, the plane enters a fairly high banked right hand turn, over rotates and heads back to mother earth in a hurry. It looks like a classic stall to me and with not enough altitude to level off and start flying again. The pilot seemed unsure at first at how it happened. So what do you guys think went wrong on this one?

If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Last edited by Jason Cole; Nov 19, 2020 at 09:50 AM..
Nov 18, 2020, 10:28 AM
Design Engineer
Ah, poor Ramy RC and his 787. I've watched this before and see his evaluation of what happened.
Best I can figure is a servo failed or, maybe even a brownout. Either way, with how much work he puts into his airplanes, its sad to see it crash so hard.
Nov 18, 2020, 11:01 AM
What a shame. But it looks like a classic stall to me too. And if this was a maiden flight then perhaps it would have been a good idea to first practice stall recoveries at a safe altitude.
Nov 18, 2020, 11:04 AM
MK
MK
Ouch! What a tragic loss after so many months of building it.
Nov 18, 2020, 11:11 AM
I saw this too.. much's the pity
REmy is a class RC guy
I do believe the firs assessment at the site is the correct one... too much angle on those wings negates Lift... and then the spiral of death....
Nov 18, 2020, 11:29 AM
Clear prop!
Ramy said it was a stall. Not enough speed in the turn.
Nov 18, 2020, 11:52 AM
Rotormantic
Wonder if there have been some prior experiences of RF issues due to those nearby hi-voltage lines? Check the esc logging...did she go into failsafe? I see control surfaces still moving at the end, but perhaps those are just the gyros responding. Did the motors cut-out for a sec before gunning-it with the draggy flaps? I'll admit the timing is curious...
Last edited by FNFAL; Nov 18, 2020 at 07:32 PM.
Nov 18, 2020, 12:10 PM
1994 Fairchild Air Force Base B-52 crash - Pilot Error Airshow (2 min 26 sec)

Looks exactly like this famous b-52 crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_F...the%20aircraft.

Quote:
Conclusions
The accident investigation concluded that the crash was primarily attributable to Holland's personality and behavior, USAF leaders' inadequate reactions to the previous incidents involving Holland, and the sequence of events and aircrew response during the final flight of the aircraft. Holland's disregard for procedures governing the safe operation of the B-52 aircraft that he commanded and the absence of firm and consistent corrective action by his superior officers allowed Holland to believe that he could conduct his flight in an unsafe manner, culminating with the slow, steeply banked, 360 turn around the control tower.[2]

The other environmental factors involved, including the addition of a new maneuver (the 360 turn around the tower), inadequate pre-flight involvement of Wolff, and the distractions from the base shooting four days prior, combined with Holland's unsafe and risk-taking piloting behavior to produce conditions favorable for the crash to occur. The final factor, according to the USAF investigation report, was the 10-knot (19 km/h) wind and its effect on the maneuvers required to achieve the intended flightpath in relation to the ground.[2]
Basically it is clearly pilot error. Too steep/slow turn. It's an airliner not a 3d plane.
Nov 18, 2020, 12:34 PM
It is joyless watching a really nice RC aircraft go in. But it is sickening to watch what happened to that B-52. RIP. Big jets are not meant to be hot dogged.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 08:42 PM
cmulder
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior).
Nov 18, 2020, 10:35 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
And yet there are thousands of safe flights with Spektrum (the correct spelling) radio equipment all the time. There is absolutely no proof that the crash was caused by a radio failure, thus, you, cmulder are speculating based on facts not in evidence.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Nov 18, 2020 at 10:56 PM.
Nov 19, 2020, 01:14 AM
jofro
Classic wing tip stall, turning too sharply!!!
Nov 20, 2020, 05:19 PM

I Vote For Stall

Too low, too slow, nowhere to go!
Nov 20, 2020, 08:28 PM
jofro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF226
Too low, too slow, nowhere to go!
Not only that, lack of power to get out of the wing tip stall!
It might take hundreds or even thousands of hours to build models of this caliber, but more importantly, it take thousands of hours to master flying them to avoid disasters like in the video above, which speaks for itself.
Nov 21, 2020, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloKid
Ramy said it was a stall. Not enough speed in the turn.
Like he said at the start to much expo meant pulling the stick back more which resulted in a tighter turn... Rammy knows this but an airplane can stall at any airspeed, in any pitch attitude and this cost him to lose his 787

Quick Reply