Nov 18, 2020, 08:23 AM
InJamNoOneCanHearYouScrea m
Thread OP
Discussion

SIG News - From The Top

Folks,
Sat in a 3 hour session with a bunch of/the rest of the AMA SIGS last night and here are some highlights:
1. As most of you know the LSF took it on the chin again for our July NATS flying dates. The two World Championship (WC) weeks thrown into the schedule In July without SIG notification took precedence. The Soaring NATS for 2021 will be held at Muncie from 19-29Aug21. The 19 and 20 August dates are off site for XC and are not shown on the schedule. I will post a schedule in the Contest Thread in January.
2. The 2022 and 2023 schedules were provided notionally. The dates for Soaring are in July. We have two full weekends! This is subject to change as the AMA may bid on WC's as they see fit and the schedule will adjust accordingly.
3. Low participation events were discussed. This does not affect the Soaring contingent at all. We have no events with low participation. On the contrary Soaring is always near the top in participation, even in the pandemic. We have reached a point in time where we have to many events especially with the popularity of electric soaring.
4. Trophies - For 2020 we scaled back to only the top 3. The AMA has a formula, depending upon participation, which had trophies down to greater than 6th, 7th, or 8th place in some events. Thoughts for the future? Do you all want to stay with the top 3 or continue down to whatever using the AMA formula?
5. Tyler Dobbs gave an overview on FAA airspace progression and the new test that is coming out. The AMA is working diligently to address Letters of Agreement for many fixed flying sites and were down to under 50 to do before the end of the year. Highlights for the test are its a 23 question exam that you can't fail. If you choose the wrong answer the test will tell you so and you get to pick again. Its kind of like the Part 107 exam if you were already a licensed pilot. You can only walk away with a 100. Tyler also discussed remote ID for a bit. there are a few options and the best one seems to be application based along the lines of Kittyhawk etc.. The AMA is working with/partnering with a company that will offer this service for free. They will announce something in the future. The Finely Articulate Aviators (FAA) will be releasing an advisory circular for comment soon. Stay tuned. The AMA will let folks know what is going on.
6. Erin Dobbs covered the SIG Guide next. Never new this existed until the meeting. The SIGS were apprised of various "free" services that the AMA offers. Kind of cool, lol, was that none of the SIGS even knew these services were available, such as free ad space in Model Aviation, a permanent mailbox at AMA, and other "administrivia". I mentioned creating a common database of member information that could be used by all SIGs. Right now the LSF downloads a .csv file and gives that to the AMA each year. The LSF has roughly 9000 folks in its database and only 1300 good email addresses. Many folks are AMA members and many are not. It would be nice to be able to reach out to more than 1300 peeps. The AMA offers a bulk email service but only to those peeps that are AMA members.
7. Unknown to all the SIGs was a credit of $25 for each new member of a SIG. The new member would have to enter a 4 digit code on their application and the SIG would get $25 in return. What four digit number? I lobbied for a checkbox on the AMA membership form. We will see where this goes. This credit is not available for continuing members, but only for new peeps or peeps that have let their membership lapse greater than 5 years and then renew.
8. Bottom Line the SIG Guide needed some additional attention and the appropriate folks were going to work on it.
9. Apparently their have been a few NATS zoom meetings this year...never knew about those either...did not get an invite. Under arm deodorant ran out I guess.
V/R,
Wally
Last edited by wadasczi; Nov 19, 2020 at 06:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2020, 10:12 AM
Wally:

Thank you for the good information.

I sure wanted to be at the Nats this year and last, but other factors interfered, including (this year) the virus. So, with these dates in hand, I will be leaning forward, for sure.

Trophies? That is NOT why I attend.

I will finally get off my lazy butt and sign up in LSF. About time, I guess. I signed up once long ago, but never followed up.

I am moving our own club to acquire a dedicated flying site. In New Mexico, that is both "easy", and "hard". But, we shall see. We get great support from the city of Albuquerque, but I can see that shutting down, literally instantly.

Yours, Greg
Member, Albuquerque Soaring Association
AMA Club Charter 1965
Nov 18, 2020, 10:29 AM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadasczi
The 19 and 20 August dates are off site for XC and are not shown on the schedule. I will post a schedule in the Contest
You probably know this, but if your plan is to use that school for XC then it is very likely that school will be in session on August 19 and 20.

Thanks for all that you do for the LSF membership and thanks for taking the time to detail and share this information!

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Nov 18, 2020, 12:45 PM
What is the purpose of the FAA exam and how does this impact the recreational flyer?

Ray
Nov 18, 2020, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbus
What is the purpose of the FAA exam and how does this impact the recreational flyer?
It was a requirement of the FAA re auth bill from 2018 that Congress passed. From what the AMA has been telling us it will be a pretty simple online test. Taking the test will be a requirement for at least some recreational flyers. Who/what that will be has yet to be revealed by the FAA.

Ryan
Nov 18, 2020, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
It was a requirement of the FAA re auth bill from 2018 that Congress passed. From what the AMA has been telling us it will be a pretty simple online test. Taking the test will be a requirement for at least some recreational flyers. Who/what that will be has yet to be revealed by the FAA.

Ryan
+1 Ryan! In my twisted mind it is like getting yourself registered with the FAA and then putting a sticky of that number on all your platforms. I would not even remotely worry about the exam because you can't fail it. Get an answer wrong, go back guess again, until you get it right. The AMA will dole out info as they get it.
Wally by Golly
Nov 18, 2020, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke
You probably know this, but if your plan is to use that school for XC then it is very likely that school will be in session on August 19 and 20.

Thanks for all that you do for the LSF membership and thanks for taking the time to detail and share this information!

Ryan
Alas Mr. Rogers...good point - I will reach out to the School District and see if we will be allowed to use the property. I am asking you for help. Is there other places nearby we could scout out?
Wally
Nov 18, 2020, 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadasczi
Alas Mr. Rogers...good point - I will reach out to the School District and see if we will be allowed to use the property. I am asking you for help. Is there other places nearby we could scout out?
How nearby is near enough? I am not super familiar with the Muncie surrounding area (other than obviously the AMA site). I know of a RC club that is about an hour from the IAC in a town called Tipton, Indiana that I think could be potentially a good XC course.

Ryan
Nov 18, 2020, 04:24 PM
Screwing up is an art
August means 'tall corn'. Less ideal, but that's what you'll find anywhere in Indiana. I'm not sure it the Tipton site is large enough to lay out proper winches. At a minimum, it would require mowing. I might be able to coordinate that with the County.

Martin
Nov 18, 2020, 04:39 PM
If you are going to try to do XC in Indiana in late August there is going to be some tall corn on the course. No way around that. The NATS need for this isn't for a ton of launching space just enough for 1 or 2 winches. The area that the club mows for their runway is about 200 feet by about 500 feet and is east/west in the 500 feet direction. At this site there is a grass area about 800 feet by about 300 feet with the 800 feet direction being north/south. This area when I have been at this club field has always been about knee high grass. The course I am thinking of there, and I haven't ever actually driven it but have been to the field and know the general stuff in the area, is driving east, then turning around, and coming back.

This is just an option, its about an hour from the IAC. Maybe we can come up with something closer.

Ryan
Nov 18, 2020, 11:17 PM
If I make it to the Nats again*, I wouldn't think more than the top three trophies are required, though I suppose some would advocate a humiliating award for the bubble boy. I have an eighth and a 12th place trophy from the Nats, but they are not my favorite trophies. If you store things the way I do, heavy trophies are a bit hazardous. Especially if they're made out of glass! (No broken trophies just yet, but it hurts when they fall on you.)

*It's a long way, and I'm not as gung ho as I used to be. I've been to Nats twice at Westover, once in Virginia, and once in Illinois. A long time ago. My favorite Nats relic is probably a photo of the four of us in front of the beat up old RV we drove to Illinois and back.

Quick Reply