Jul 20, 2005, 08:38 PM
Lance Armstrong- 7 times!
Thread OP
No degree yet.. I hope to have my ME degree within a couple years though.

citabria- I've been wondering the same thing myself. Obviously NASA has built some huge stuff, such as the Helios. Other than that, the biggest RC plane I've seen is a 36 foot flying wing. Is there anything else out there?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2005, 10:26 PM
Model Aviation says one of the planes they used in the movie Aviator was the largest scale model ever.

It was capable of going 150 knots, had a range of 85 miles, had numerous back-up systems and had a pilot and a co-pilot.

Apperently was expected to weigh in a nearly 700 lbs!!

ash
Jul 20, 2005, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchandbash
Now your getting me thinking about old times Dapple. A friend once placed an m500 under a press newpaper box, in the 3" space between the ground and the box. (note: mailbox's are a federal crime, not press boxes) He thought it would produce a nice paper spray. It didn't do that. Te box launced about 40 feet in the air.
We used to make our own propellants as a kids (9 years old) by mixing charcoal, sulfur, and potassium nitrate (black powder). We'd buy the sulfur and potassium nitrate at the local drug store.

WHAT was the pharmacists THINKING!?!?! Did he not know what we were going to DO with the stuff?

Anyway, we launched just about everything except the cat (we tried).
Jul 20, 2005, 10:42 PM
Didn't happen to have a friend by the name of McVeigh?
Jul 21, 2005, 12:04 AM
Quote:
NO!

I know its a joke (and I opened the door), but spooky you should say that. My office was in downtown OKC when the bombing happened. I was the Assistant Director for the statewide injury care system.

Nothing I ever saw as a paramedic prepared me for that day. It still haunts (though not like it used to).
Jul 21, 2005, 11:00 AM
Dimension Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapple63
We used to make our own propellants as a kids (9 years old) by mixing charcoal, sulfur, and potassium nitrate (black powder). We'd buy the sulfur and potassium nitrate at the local drug store.

WHAT was the pharmacists THINKING!?!?! Did he not know what we were going to DO with the stuff?

Anyway, we launched just about everything except the cat (we tried).
Used to? I can still buy KNO3 and sulfur at the drug store...

Its pricey, and the sulfur is pretty poor, but if you run out and just need a little, its handy to have there. Black powder is such a touchy propellant, though. KNO3/sugar is much easier to work with.
Jul 21, 2005, 11:31 AM
De-Brushed user
Quote:
404: Funny not found
Jul 21, 2005, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAFplanekid
404: Funny not found
Scratch is okay. He didn't mean anything by it.
Jul 21, 2005, 02:17 PM
ahahahah ^_^ u guys keep quoting its funny ^_^
CAF that was funny ^_^
Jul 21, 2005, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
These threads always seem to get filled with off topic stuff... oh well.

I ran into a problem today. I built my spar perfectly straight and true. That was my mistake. Now I cant find any surface around that is 12x4 feet and is perfectly flat. I should have built the spar slightly off so it conformed to the floor I will be building my wing on. I did find one section of floor that is almost flat, only low by about a sixteenth in one spot. That can really mess up a glue joint though.

Ever tried to find a perfectly flat piece of plywood? It's hard. I think there's a 4 foot wide solid door at my dad's house, maybe I can use that for part of a table.

-Hans
Jul 21, 2005, 04:59 PM
clumsy thumbs
Hans,

Maybe you could build a table with an MDF top, and put adjustable legs on it? If the MDF is braced I think it should be nice and flat.
Jul 21, 2005, 05:01 PM
HeliAP'er!
What about a garage floor? Somewhere where there's a large concrete surface should be pretty flat ....
Jul 21, 2005, 05:08 PM
De-Brushed user
So construction has begun? Cool, good luck with it, though I think your determination means that luck is not needed.

I was going to suggest MDF too, but couldnt remember the name of the stuff. its pretty $$ though. Maybe you could shim the floor a bit?

I just didn't find equating childhood fun to a man that blew up a building with a daycare center at the bottom of it funny, thats all. I was in the second grade in OKC when it happened, we could feel it in our classroom miles away. My littler sister was playing in my bedroom at home, again miles away from it, and she was really really scared. Though that does not have anything to do with the lack of humor in the post. but enough about that.
Jul 21, 2005, 07:20 PM
Thread OP
Here's the first good picture of the build. None of the ribs are glued yet, I just threw them on there for the picture.
Jul 21, 2005, 07:29 PM
Thread OP
It's hard to express just how big this thing is. I put my old MM Tantrum on for size comparison. There will be FOUR of these wing panels. In the background is the now small Pink Floyd. This is exciting. I really dont want to go to work tomorrow..

Quick Reply