Apr 06, 2006, 12:07 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Check with Burt Rutan at www.scaled.com

The latest Model Aviation magazine (you do read it, don't you?) seemed to indicate he liked to hire builders who know how to craft a plane, not just fly one. Make sure you are emphasizing your rather extreme modeling experience.

A quick check at the site shows that they are hiring. Its on the front page.

Note to self: I wonder if they could use a photo-retoucher?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 06, 2006, 07:50 AM
That is a good suggestion from Tolladay. The latest AMA magazine has an article about Burt Rutan and the type of people he wants to hire. You may want to read the article and then slant your cover letter and resume to what he says in the article.

Dick
Apr 06, 2006, 09:33 AM
Crash Site Instigator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Flyer
You may want to read the article and then slant your cover letter and resume to what he says in the article.
Just to reinforce what Dick says... my wife has previously been a headhunter (job recruiter), and recently landed a good programming job fairly quickly where more qualified programmer friends had been looking much longer without getting placed.

One of her tricks is that she has multiple resumes prepared, each emphasizing different things - so that she can submit a resume tailored specifically to each job application.

Good luck (if you need any)

Larry
Apr 06, 2006, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybike
ha

Just wait, it'll fly. I'm still at school.

On a different subject- I'm looking for some sort of aerospace/UAV job for this summer. I'm a 3rd year mechanical engineering student. Just thought I'd throw it out there, anyone have any leads? I've submitted resumes to Aerovironment and a couple others, but no replies yet.

thanks,
Hans
Hans, one name "Burt Rutan". I don't know if you get the AMA magazine "Model Aviation". There is an article about Burt in MA. He was given an award at the AMA convention. In his acceptance talk he said "he needs modelers - lots of modelers - to work for him!". The article is on page 26 of the April Model Aviation. At the end it has some links that should help you get in touch. If you don't get MA you should be able to find it in the University or Public Library.

P.S. Sorry for the duplicate info on Rutan. I replied before I read to the end of the thread.
Apr 06, 2006, 12:32 PM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat
I hate to burst the bubble here but :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaled's website
We are sorry but Scaled is unable to hire Summer interns or Co-op students. Scaled does not offer part time positions.
It's unfortunate, I was hoping to get a job there too, 2nd yr Aeronatical Engineering student.

Flybike, talk to the career office/center people at your school, they should be able to help you out.

Big Floyd is amazing, I can't wait to see it fly.
Apr 06, 2006, 05:00 PM
Still a good idea to get your resume in there. When and if you do decide to try getting a position there they will be familiar with your name. Plus rules are broken.

Dick
Apr 07, 2006, 12:51 AM
fix-it-up chappie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark Flyer
...Plus rules are broken.
Rules are definately made to be broken.

I'll bet ole Burt would just laugh himself silly if he saw Big Floyd.... Then he'd ask how you built it.
Apr 07, 2006, 09:13 AM
JustFlying
First get it to fly before Burt see it. He does not build monuments, he like things to fly.
Apr 07, 2006, 10:40 AM

Flybike

Another possibility. www.insitugroup.com

Chuck.
Last edited by balsabuster2004; Apr 07, 2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: URL correction
Apr 07, 2006, 10:41 AM

URL correction

Last edited by balsabuster2004; Apr 07, 2006 at 10:43 AM. Reason: double post
Apr 07, 2006, 07:40 PM
I just skimmed through the old thread and this one. I must say, wow. Impressive planes. I hope you finish this one. Really some incredible stuff.
Apr 07, 2006, 08:42 PM
Eject! Eject! Eject!
Hans,

send your resume to General Atomics, they work with the Predator

http://www.ga.com/

make sure you include info about the 25' and 50' Floyd projects

Good Luck

AD
Apr 07, 2006, 09:53 PM
Flying motor mount master
Hans-

I was told by several high level aeronautics execs that in order for you to get a summer intern you MUST FLY THE BIG FLOYD FIRST!!!

that is all,
fb
Apr 08, 2006, 08:04 AM
Closed Account
Quiters never win.
Apr 08, 2006, 10:27 AM

Quit! Monument??

This is flybike we're takin about here!!!

Quick Reply