Mar 15, 2021, 03:44 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMR2
Just starting to print this al well, been out of the rc hobby for about 15years...so anyways as a rough to buy list its going to be
controller https://www.amazon.com/Flysky-FS-i6X.../dp/B0744DPPL8
ESC https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...___store=en_us
2 Servos https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...0sec-4-4g.html
Motors (1 cw 1 ccw?) https://www.banggood.com/Racerstar-R...e=CN&ID=521310
And Battery 3s 2200mah

Am I missing anything
Hello, yes that all looks good, although I can not comment on the transmitter, as long as it is possible to have tank / differential steering set up on it, it will be fine, but is that worth looking into first.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 15, 2021, 03:56 PM
Thread OP
For any one still reading, I would just like to say there has been a few instances of people having the fans fail, personally I have had no issues and there are some other working examples, but please be careful.
Just as a suggestion I would use petg as I did, or even abs if your printer can handle it, please research how to print a structurally strong print and do some test prints! In short for maximum strength it is the high end of the filament print temperature, slow speed 20ms, no cooling fan and slight over extrusion (the higher temp normally dose this for you)
Also the base prints nicely flat on the build plate, the blades print upside down with a support for the top ring, best results with a centre starting point.
Good luck!
Last edited by tomtom001; Mar 16, 2021 at 01:56 PM.
Mar 16, 2021, 09:02 PM
So what % of infill would you recommend on the compressor blades?...I'm assuming 100% for balance, also if doing PTEG I had great luck (only worked this way) with using blue painters tape vs the glue stick or hairspray trick.

Thanks for doing this, its super awesome....any chance you'd do the GI joe hovercraft? https://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/84/whale/
Last edited by SWMR2; Mar 16, 2021 at 09:15 PM. Reason: more stuff
Mar 17, 2021, 06:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
So what % of infill would you recommend on the compressor blades?...I'm assuming 100% for balance, also if doing PTEG I had great luck (only worked this way) with using blue painters tape vs the glue stick or hairspray trick.

Thanks for doing this, its super awesome....any chance you'd do the GI joe hovercraft? https://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/84/whale/
Thanks, yes that's correct, it was calculated for a 0.4 nozzle, from memory when you slice it, it should look like a section of twin wall and the centre wall doesn't run to the edge of the blade.
You may also want to play with filtering out tiny gaps and also fill gaps everywhere as it can create unwanted infill
Last edited by tomtom001; Mar 17, 2021 at 06:47 AM.
Mar 21, 2021, 08:40 PM
Would you ever considering doing a working version of the GI joe whale? I'd think their would actually be more than a few people interested in it...dont know if it would be a copy right issue but in my mind I think everyone who grew up with GI joes would love a actual functional version of this.
Apr 01, 2021, 04:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Would you ever considering doing a working version of the GI joe whale? I'd think their would actually be more than a few people interested in it...dont know if it would be a copy right issue but in my mind I think everyone who grew up with GI joes would love a actual functional version of this.
I'll be honest I wasn't sure what GI Joe was! In the UK we had action man, but the franchise wasn't as big, GI Joe did not make it across the water, or at least the figures.
Unfortunately I have have far too many projects on the back burner waiting for me to try.
There are some very active 3D printing groups on FB, it might be worth asking on there somebody may have done it or started something.
Apr 11, 2021, 12:37 PM
Awesome thanks, I hear that about too many project.
Jun 18, 2021, 11:47 PM
Wow, that is exceedingly nifty.
Do you know of any sources on how to possibly improve the height you can get with a skirtless air cushion like that?
Jun 19, 2021, 08:39 AM
Way to much free time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsockmonkey
Wow, that is exceedingly nifty.
Do you know of any sources on how to possibly improve the height you can get with a skirtless air cushion like that?
It is nothing surprising, one simply needs higher thrust to lift ratio and the control (stability) to maintain it. What is your goal?
Jun 19, 2021, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvetteC5
It is nothing surprising, one simply needs higher thrust to lift ratio and the control (stability) to maintain it. What is your goal?
I should have been clearer. My bad. I'd like to do way with hovercraft skirt and maintain sufficient ground clearance without having to use buttloads of power. I'm hoping there is some way to tweak the airflow around the perimeter to make it more effective at containing a static air cushion.
Skirts are simple and effective, but draggy and can get caught on things.
Jun 29, 2021, 07:06 AM
Thread OP
In truth if there was all modern hovercraft would not have skirts! The reason they have skirts is to do with efficiency.

But with skirtless hovercraft efficiency gains can be made with the peripheral jet being angled inwards, naturally the focused jet helps contain the pressure under the craft however it can also create a vortex under the craft that furthers the function of the jet.

Another way to increase efficiency and also stability is to have a double peripheral jet around perimeter.

There was some sort of research done on recirculating air pressure and Labrinth jets, but my guess would be gains were minimal and the additional weight outweigh the benefit, but don't quote me on that one
Jun 30, 2021, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom001
In truth if there was all modern hovercraft would not have skirts! The reason they have skirts is to do with efficiency.

But with skirtless hovercraft efficiency gains can be made with the peripheral jet being angled inwards, naturally the focused jet helps contain the pressure under the craft however it can also create a vortex under the craft that furthers the function of the jet.

Another way to increase efficiency and also stability is to have a double peripheral jet around perimeter.

There was some sort of research done on recirculating air pressure and Labrinth jets, but my guess would be gains were minimal and the additional weight outweigh the benefit, but don't quote me on that one
That would be what I'm looking for.
Skirted hovercraft have a bit of a problem when they have to pass over a narrow trench or ridge that's too sudden.
The gap can be enough to let most of the air out of the cushion so it bottoms out.
They partially solve this with additional lift bags that subdividing the underside of the craft, but it's not ideal.
If you went all the way and studded the whole underside instead of just the perimeter with dozens of vertical fabric cylinders like millipede legs, it would solve the ground handling problem most of the way instead of the partial solution that's used now, but it would be pretty draggy.
So, what would be ideal is dozens of columns of air, each maintained by it's own peripheral jet.
The underside would be a complex shape with all those openings, but I don't think you would have to increase the number of moving parts.
See what I'm getting at?
Jun 30, 2021, 11:40 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Very cool.

If you made it look like this, I think you'd have a real money maker!

Name: E4D_IA_1136_6b8704fa[1].jpeg
Views: 13
Size: 39.0 KB
Description:
Jul 01, 2021, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicsockmonkey
That would be what I'm looking for.
Skirted hovercraft have a bit of a problem when they have to pass over a narrow trench or ridge that's too sudden.
The gap can be enough to let most of the air out of the cushion so it bottoms out.
They partially solve this with additional lift bags that subdividing the underside of the craft, but it's not ideal.
If you went all the way and studded the whole underside instead of just the perimeter with dozens of vertical fabric cylinders like millipede legs, it would solve the ground handling problem most of the way instead of the partial solution that's used now, but it would be pretty draggy.
So, what would be ideal is dozens of columns of air, each maintained by it's own peripheral jet.
The underside would be a complex shape with all those openings, but I don't think you would have to increase the number of moving parts.
See what I'm getting at?
The French tried this to some good effect! I believe it only run for a few years however, rising fuel costs etc.

Yes many of the early skirtless craft were segmented in sections, it was more for stability creating individual sections underneath.
I understand what you're trying to achieve, perhaps a number of individual round peripheral jets under the craft? similar to seaspeed but skirtless.
Jul 01, 2021, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666
Very cool.

If you made it look like this, I think you'd have a real money maker!

Attachment 15122589
Haha I have to agree with you on that one however I reckon Disney's lawyers would degree

Quick Reply