Nov 16, 2020, 05:39 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

AR637T Custom Voice Setup

Has anyone been able to get Custom Voice to work on the AR637T

I have and Apprentice STS which came with a Telemetry module. I was able to successfully enable custom voice on my DS6 so that at a flip of a switch, I hear the altitude and pack voltage spoken to me. It's really nice. I want to do the same on the AR637T but, I cannot get custom voice to work - just says - No Data.
I spoke with HH Tech support, updated the latest S/W in theDX6 transmitter (2.07), redid the Telemetry autoconfig etc. but no luck. HH said it was bad and replaced the receiver - unfortunately, the result is the same with the new one. Note, the live telemetry info does work if I scroll, but I prefer to flip a switch and hear it. Have you been able to get this to work?

Also, if you got it to work, how about ground speed with custom voice for this or any receiver? All I get is - No Data - spoken to me. Or, do I have to use an additional piece of hardware for this functionality? I realize air speed is an entirely different animal so, leaving that out of the conversation.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2020, 12:26 AM
The voice setup is done in the transmitter. Function List then Custom Voice. On the Telemetry screen, you double click on a telemetry parameter and choose whether you want voice, vibrate, or tone, for warnings or status
Nov 17, 2020, 08:41 AM
It would help if you were to export your model and attach the SPM file here. Then it could be reviewed.

Your transmitter can't talk about sensors that aren't in the aircraft. If you're trying to get speed, for instance, there's no speed sensor in the receiver, so "No data" is exactly the correct thing for the transmitter to say.

Andy
Nov 17, 2020, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Flyer
Has anyone been able to get Custom Voice to work on the AR637T

I have and Apprentice STS which came with a Telemetry module. I was able to successfully enable custom voice on my DS6 so that at a flip of a switch, I hear the altitude and pack voltage spoken to me. It's really nice. I want to do the same on the AR637T but, I cannot get custom voice to work - just says - No Data.
I spoke with HH Tech support, updated the latest S/W in theDX6 transmitter (2.07), redid the Telemetry autoconfig etc. but no luck. HH said it was bad and replaced the receiver - unfortunately, the result is the same with the new one. Note, the live telemetry info does work if I scroll, but I prefer to flip a switch and hear it. Have you been able to get this to work?

Also, if you got it to work, how about ground speed with custom voice for this or any receiver? All I get is - No Data - spoken to me. Or, do I have to use an additional piece of hardware for this functionality? I realize air speed is an entirely different animal so, leaving that out of the conversation.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide!
To get ground Speed you will need to have a GPS sensor. But I have not had the ability to read out speed. I think the pitot tube is the only way to get speed called out. The GPS will give you the max and current ground speed. But its hard to read while flying
Nov 28, 2020, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Hello Andy,

Sorry about the delayed reply, I had to figure out how to export the file. I have now done so and it is attached. I realize the transmitter cannot talk to devices not attached to it. But I was lead to believe that altitude and pack voltage we're built into it as part of the included telemetry options.

I appreciate your looking into this!
Nov 28, 2020, 01:49 PM
As I suspected, your telemetry was manually configured. I can tell that because the altimeter entry should be on address 64, the same as the vario, but your file has it on 18. It also appears at the top of the list, where Auto-Config would have put it below Vario.

You also have Airspeed configured, which is not something that you would get using Auto Config.

Fortunately, it's easy to fix.

Go to the Telemetry screen. Change all the entries to <Empty>.

Turn on the receiver. This will probably populate the Smart ESC and Smart Battery entries for you (assuming you have them in your system).

Now click on Auto-Config and wait about 5 seconds for it to populate everything.

You should see both Altimeter and Vario in there. Press BACK until you're back on the main screen. Roll to the right and you should start seeing telemetry data coming in for the various items in the receiver.

Andy
Nov 29, 2020, 09:11 PM
Thread OP
Thank you Andy. Once I followed your instructions, the Custom Voice for Altitude started working. I'm not really sure where I went wrong, but you got me back on track. I believe the key was to empty everything before repeating the Auto-Config.

My next step is to wire up the red and black Bat wire that came with it and attempt to monitor pack voltage. Before I break out the soldering iron, do you have any tips for me? The instructions don't really seam to address this - at least not that I could find.
Nov 29, 2020, 09:52 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Thank you Andy. Once I followed your instructions, the Custom Voice for Altitude started working. I'm not really sure where I went wrong, but you got me back on track. I believe the key was to empty everything before repeating the Auto-Config.

My next step is to wire up the red and black Bat wire that came with it and attempt to monitor pack voltage. Before I break out the soldering iron, do you have any tips for me? The instructions don't really seam to address this - at least not that I could find.
Red wire to positive, leave the black wire disconnected.

That works for most setups
Nov 30, 2020, 08:26 AM
Quote:

Glad it worked. Yes, you should always remove all the telemetry items before running Auto-Config. I thought I mentioned this earlier to you, but perhaps it was somebody else with the same situation.

As mawz said, only the red is needed. I don't use solder. I poke a hole in the red wire going to the ESC, insert the tinned portion into it, and then use either heat shrink or electrical tape to keep it in place. That way it's easier to change if I move equipment around, but it also let's it pull out in event of a crash or (more likely in my situation) I forget to disconnect it when taking the plane apart.

Andy

Quick Reply