Nov 16, 2020, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Gas engines?

I have been out of the boating scene for about 10 years and boy has it changed.
I've been thinking of building a Catamaran with a gas engine but I'm not sure where to start.
Here are a few questions for all you smart people out there.

When choosing a gas engine for a Cat hull in the 38" to 50" size for the most performance is it as simple as getting the largest displacement engine with the most mods done to it that you can afford or is there more to it than that?

With all the modders out there these days who are some good ones, are there any to shy away from?

What are the pro's and cons of the different Zenoah type engines and displacements?

I'm not a racer and I'm not concerned about any rules and regulations, I just want a great performing boat setup.

Thanks in advance for any tips or insight.
Chris
to remove ads between posts
Nov 25, 2020, 05:27 PM
Addicted to RC
26 (G1) and 29.5(GX2) CC are the basis of race motors. If you want full bore race than an M & D or RPM motor is the way to go. Gismo make a bunch of decent motors and CC Racing and Suicide are a few others. Most of the gas engines are pretty powerful and you are going to want to be in the 50" range, Think really torquey x Class nitro, with way less maintenance.

T44, R42, Insane Cat G3X are a few current racing hulls. Anything with 5 inch rails.
Nov 27, 2020, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Well I picked up a 30cc pro mod engine from Gizmo so that should get me started. Now I just need to figure out which boat I want.
Nov 29, 2020, 10:21 PM
Addicted to RC
I love RCGroups for many RC hobbies but for gas boats Jim's RC Boat Dock is the best resource. You can find every hull that is available and probably a build forum for it too.

When your ready Propworks West can make you a prop for your specific set up. Talk to him on the phone and tell him what boat and what motor you have and he can tell you the right prop for the combo. They are $100 + for a lightened, balanced SS prop but it is money well spent on an experts knowledge that will get you up to speed right out of the box.

https://jrcbd.com/forum/forum.php

Quick Reply