Nov 15, 2020, 10:07 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

New Bob Martin Laser Cut Pussycat

I have decided to do a build log (my first) with the new Pussycat laser kit now being produced by Bob Martin RC. During the 1980’s and 90’s, the Pussycat was one of the favorite 2 meter sailplane kits. It was strong and flew incredibly well. Times represented die-cut ply and balsa parts and super low price. It has been out of production for nearly 30 years and due to popular demand, Bob Martin has decided to bring back this wood sailplane with major improvements in design, ease of building and now all laser cut. A great plane made even better. The fuse has simplified interlocking construction and the tail feathers feature laser cut hor. stab, elevator, vert. stab and rudder. What used to be 33 parts is now only 5! It can be built as a pure sailplane or an E-powered version.

The Pussycat kit can be ordered now only from Bob Martin RC Kits for the introductory offer of $89.95 plus $10.00 shipping Continental USA. PayPal: [email protected]

Bob Martin RC Kits is also coming out soon with a new updated laser cut kit of the very popular Talon. Can't wait!!

Check out Bob Martin’s new web site “KitCutters.com” which only carry non-Bob Martin kits and lists many other brand name manufacturer's. Many different sail and power model aircraft are available there. Please note that kit's such as the Pussycat and upcoming Talon cannot be purchased from KitCutters.com. Use only Bob Martin's RC at [email protected].

SPECS:

Balsa and Ply Construction
Wing Span 78”
Fuse Length 38.5”
AUW 25-28 oz
Wing Loading 6.1oz per sq in
Last edited by Desert Flyer; Nov 22, 2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Updated Information
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2020, 11:30 PM
Awesome news!
Nov 16, 2020, 12:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun
Awesome news!
Yes, I was excited too! Can't wait for the new Talon!
Nov 16, 2020, 12:13 PM
Thread OP

Fuse Progress

Photo #96 shows the quality and attention in packaging the parts. Photos 97 to 203 start of fuse build. Note in Photo 203 the canopy outline. That is actually a laser cut line and when the time comes, the completed canopy is easily detached from the fuse and perfectly mates with it once other work is completed.
Nov 17, 2020, 12:26 PM
Thread OP

Fuse Build Continued

Pic#3 shows the 1/16" laser cut alignment/crutch guide that helps prevent "the dreaded banana fuse" and is glued in place.
Last edited by Desert Flyer; Nov 20, 2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Change a line
Nov 18, 2020, 01:53 PM
Thread OP

Front Fuse Build Continued

Bulkhead B1 installed, #4 Bottom glued in place. Note the oval hole imprints to be cut or drilled out if this sailplane is to be e-powered.

Next post will show installation of Sullivan Golden Rods.
Last edited by Desert Flyer; Nov 20, 2020 at 08:49 PM.
Nov 19, 2020, 12:50 PM
Thread OP

Front Fuse Work, Control Rod Install and Rear Fuse Closed

Pic 1 and 2 shows the fuse control rod installation process. I found installing rods from the rear and using a scrap steel rod as a guide made install easy. Make sure control rods moves freely once system is dry fitted, then trim and glue following the manual's instructions.

Pic 3 shows the top front fitted for installation...Make sure the lettering is on the INSIDE of the fuse when gluing the top on.

Pic 4 and 5 shows the rear fuse closure and finishing.
Last edited by Desert Flyer; Nov 21, 2020 at 02:49 AM. Reason: Edit a Line
Nov 19, 2020, 01:26 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
Suscribed.....: popcorn:
Manolo.
Nov 19, 2020, 01:29 PM
Looking great. I already ordered my kit.
Nov 19, 2020, 02:22 PM
the occasional flyer
Wow, what an airfoil. Never seen anything quite like that.

-David
Nov 19, 2020, 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlisburger
Wow, what an airfoil. Never seen anything quite like that.

-David
Old school Clark-Y-ish with a hardwood dowel leading edge. Simple and durable. Turbulators make for a nice, soft stall and overall pretty good performance.
Nov 20, 2020, 01:20 PM
the occasional flyer
That's no Clark Y. Like I say, I've never seen anything like that before. But, as long as it flies nicely...

I hear the designer of the Ridge Rat used his shoe to create its airfoil.

-David
Nov 20, 2020, 01:24 PM
Thread OP

Fuse Build Canopy and Nose Cone

Pic #1 Shows canopy lid glued on and cut lines drawn across front and back. Pic #2 shows the canopy removed. It is held to the fuse sides by very small tabs. First use a razor knife to cut across the front and back of the canopy, then an Xacto knife to slice the tabs. Makes for an almost perfect canopy fit!

Shave balsa off the nosecone part as close as you feel comfortable to the pre-drawn outline, then glue it to the fuse and sand down to it's final shape.

Pic #7 Shows front canopy retainer tab and rear magnet installed. It is best to install magnets into their holders before gluing them in place. Also, make sure they are "attracting" not "repelling" each other. The spacing for the bottom (fuse) magnet and holder I used is 4 mm from bottom of fuse lip. The canopy magnet and holder are glued directly to the canopy lid and over the fuse magnet.

I also installed a pair of optional side tabs so that the canopy can be squeezed during handling and retain it's stiffness. Just feels better to me. I will probably make them shorter.

Final photo shows fuse ready for final sanding and covering and lastly the wing rubber band hold down dowels will need to be installed.
Last edited by Desert Flyer; Nov 21, 2020 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Add to a line
Nov 21, 2020, 12:02 PM
Thread OP

Center Wing Construction

This wing is built in 3 sections. Center, left and right tips. Start with the center section and carefully follow the manual for all detail. Use the handy orange jig that comes with the kit or any appropriate square tool (the orange jig is limited in supply). One of the many unique features of the Pussycat kit is that it uses a wood dowel for a leading edge. Makes for outstanding strength and a perfect leading edge without all the sanding. A great time saver! Note in photo 4 the pattern traced from the plans for the 1/16 wood center section. Make two of the wood pieces for the bottom and top center of the wing. With the end ribs, A2, the angles need to be set carefully and is easy with the included pair of "Dihedral Gages" shown in photo 10. Use both of them, one toward the front of the spar and one behind it.
Last edited by Desert Flyer; Nov 21, 2020 at 12:15 PM.
Nov 23, 2020, 01:15 PM
Thread OP

Tail Feathers Build

Well, not really a build as these parts are one of the major simplifications of the Pussycat. All you have to do is sand/shape leading edges and one side of each part, cut hinge slots and after finish sanding, cover and install on fuse. Note the new balanced rudder.

Also, the parts are lighter.
Last edited by Desert Flyer; Nov 25, 2020 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Add A Line

Quick Reply