Apr 17, 2014, 08:37 AM
Fly It Till The Wings Tear Off
Thanks Gpw, I learned about using the rudder on the first one I built.

I took this one out this morning and It Flew!!

The wind was calm and it was a bit nippy this but I had to see if my new plane would fly. I cranked it up to about 3/4 throttle and gave it a toss. It took off fairly straight and after a bit of trimming I was doing some laps around the lot next door.

I'm not that great of a flyer and it did get away from me once and it went over behind the side of the house out of sight. I just cut the throttle and heard it plop down. I took a look hoping that it didn't go into the lilac bush on the corner of the lot but it was just sitting next to a snowbank. No Damage
I flew a battery through it while trimming it a bit more.
I slapped another battery on it a bit more forward and the plane settled right down. This is such a fun plane to fly. I hope the winds stay calm.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2015, 01:09 PM
Just dragging up this thread again! I found my old EPP and the plans for this so have built another. I remember it being more powerful and fun than it is now so thought I'd ask the question.
I'm using the same motor as before - elite park 370 1080kv on a 30A esc (all I could find in my plane junk) - with some new turnigy 1000mah 2 cell lipos on a 10x3.8 prop. It flies well but is struggling with power, I can't get it to fly straight up like I remember it used to, seems very lazy and docile - have I gone wrong somewhere?
I remember how much I live the way it flies, the rudder just makes it flat turn. Great!
Sep 06, 2015, 01:20 PM
flyin' fool
Maybe you were using 3S way back when.
Sep 06, 2015, 01:25 PM
Yeah I think you might be right, does that make big difference on the power/speed?
I just looked at the first post on this and ordered the 2 cells.
I've got some 2200 3s for a pylon racer that I'm building but they might be a tad heavy!
Sep 06, 2015, 01:27 PM
What 3s would you recommend? I'll grab dome off eBay
Sep 06, 2015, 04:37 PM
flyin' fool
Voltage is RPM, so the 3S makes a big difference. I like the 450ish size for a few extra grams over the 350.
Sep 07, 2015, 08:12 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Another really FUN flier from Gene Bond is the 4S -Bipe ... you can fly it right in front of your face ... Close in 3D ...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Sep 07, 2015, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Voltage is RPM, so the 3S makes a big difference. I like the 450ish size for a few extra grams over the 350.
Thanks bud, I can't believe how out of touch I am with all this!
I've got some on order. It's still great to fly on the 2s but it has to be a zero wind day!

I built a bipe off of plans from here, wasn't Gene's but still great fun!
Sep 07, 2015, 02:50 PM
I do like the look of that one though, is it depron?
Sep 07, 2015, 05:16 PM
gpw
gpw
The bipe ...yes , with 1/4” BP foam fuse and 1/16” depron wings ... Feather weight ... flies in slow motion ... The EPP one was a good flier too ...
Sep 07, 2015, 05:18 PM
gpw
gpw
The bipe ...yes , with 1/4” BP foam fuse and 1/16” depron wings ... Feather weight ... flies in slow motion ... The EPP one was a good flier too ...

We were suspect at first of using 1/16 “ depron , but the plane is quite durable really and is still around today , at a friends house ... 

Quick Reply