Aug 03, 2005, 04:56 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Good luck, let us know! Watch the torque from that big prop. It aught to be powerful.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2005, 12:28 PM
Holy rubber doggie doo, Batman! The Zero rockets up vert out of my hand like angels had it on marionette strings. Even using the 1047 prop, the plane is fast enough for me, that's for sure.

It's a trick to fly compared to my dual IPS Tiger Moth, which lets me screw up and get away with it. I'm just flying on the elevons no as I'm inexperienced with 4 channel control.

I did have a little accident on the second flight and dug a trench, breaking the gearbox case on my brand new EPS 350...wonder why I don't go brushless? There's your answer. I've glued the gearbox back together with epoxy, hopefully it'll hold.

Anyway, the plane clearly has a barrel of fun in her so, I was very willing to patch the damage and try again.

Peace,

F=MA
Aug 08, 2005, 12:54 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Sounds about right

I got tired of gearbox failures, due to my poor abilities.... that's why I love outrunners, now. I avoided them for years, but in order to advance my abilities, I needed something more forgiving. Too bad there's no bulletproof, ultralight, cheap gearbox for us to use brush motors... The GWS is as good as I've found. It only breaks when it's supposed to
Aug 09, 2005, 07:10 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Gene , the P-51 has become my favorite plane now .... flies very fast , and very slow , handles great , rolls , well you know ....and ALWAYS impresses the guys at the field ....CD motor is Perfect for this plane .... everything just works so well together.... got enough confidence now to do low inverted passes now, stable .... scares Bob ...hahahaha
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Aug 10, 2005, 02:45 PM
Further updates:

The Zero has now had a few non-3d flights. It will motor around happily at 1/2 throttle for a loooong time on a 2S 1250 lipo. Ridiculous power is a touch of the throttle away.

Landings are a little tricky, as the flat wing has the glide ratio of a brick a low AOA. A little power on is required, or maybe a little elevon reflex; I'm not sure yet.

The wimpy GWS 350 gearbox broke again and can't be had locally so, I'm waiting on one from afar. I'm gluing the mount again and, I'll keep that up as long as I have all the pieces.

Gotta lose the Zero trademark engine scoop; it's like an arresting hook on grass landings and is damaging the fuse and shaking things up.

It flies on elevons alone with extreme agility. I've found little need to rudder the plane for normal turns. I have tested the rudder and it is extremely effective so, should I need it, it's there.

This is a freaky plane, man. I recommend it to everyone. While it's no slowflyer, it's pretty capable as a 4 channel trainer and is extremely aerobatic, that's for sure. It's way easier to hack this than any scale or semi-scale warbird I've tried/made.
Aug 10, 2005, 09:20 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Sounds like your Zero is setup a little nose heavy, like mine. Believe me, if you slide the CG back, and learn to use the rudder to turn and the ailerons just for roll, you can harrier it around at extremely slow speed. For me, that's half the fun... walking speed flying. Try and keep it steady even though the wind is knocking it around....
Aug 10, 2005, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, a possibility. I set the CG about 25% of the root chord for safety's sake. You think moving it back to 25% MAC might help? Maybe a little further given the chunky lump on the motor stick? I'm not too scared of some tail heavy, given that the "ridiculous power" setting is there to pull me out.

I love slow speed flying too, that's why my Tiger Moth is still in the air.

Thanks,

F=MA
Aug 10, 2005, 10:23 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
I run the 4F-51 at about 3", and the Zero was about 2.5" for good 2 channel control. The Zero was too nose heavy to hover or harrier, but would turn fine. If slid back for hover/hearrier, I lost turning ability... That's where the rudder comes in.

So, I'd slide the cg back 1/2" at a time, and see how it goes.
Aug 11, 2005, 12:11 PM
Bringing CG back to around 4", from the previous setting of just under 3", weakened elevon turning and made the plane touchier in pitch, no surprises there. It also made the plane want to zoom a little under full power. All in all, I didn't like that setting.

So, I split the difference between the first setting and the second and, when it recharges, we'll see what happens.

F=MA
Aug 12, 2005, 09:10 PM
Doh!, playing with CG and went a little far. Got the plane down ok but, snapped a prop and unfortunately, tweaked the toothpick that passes for a motor shaft on the 350C. I'm going to buy the only one any local LHS has around here and swap my C gear stuff onto it, as it is the useless to me D gear.

Stuff happens, I just ordered a couple replacement cases after snapping the stocker now it appears I should have included a couple shafts in there, too.

Oh well, if you ain't flyin' yer crashin',

F=MA
Aug 12, 2005, 10:42 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Now you are seeing why I run outrunners on my 3D planes... I have a great HiMax 2025 I was running on my SX-2, but I kept cracking gear cases and bending shafts... I now sports a Komodo Double
Aug 12, 2005, 10:45 PM
Hey Gene,
what are you getting for amp draw on the 15T 24g running an 8x4 prop?
If you have amps to spare try a GWS EP 9x5 cut down to 8" It will cost you a couple extra amps WOT but performance increase is impressive
Aug 13, 2005, 07:29 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
The 15t/24g/8040HD/2s draws about 7.5a WOT (10oz of thrust). About 8.5a WOT w/ a 8043RS (12oz of thrust).

I like the 8043 because the pitch speed is lower at a given thrust, and coming off a hover/harrier/forward flight is not so abrupt.
Aug 13, 2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the info,
I will wind one and see how it works on this end.
Aug 13, 2005, 08:08 PM
Well, upside is the old IPS from my oem Tiger Moth has a similar shaft to the 350 C so, we're back in business, after a little "engine rebuilding".

To top it off my dual IPS in my TM decided to sieze one motor this morning. I have another IPS but, the pinion puller I need to change the gear is on its way to me in the mail. Oh well, at least I still have the Zero. I need more practise with it anyway.

F=MA

Quick Reply