Jul 07, 2005, 10:34 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Looks good, Bob. Yea, to scale that tail to the wing makes it large! The Hstab+ elevator should be 20-30% of the wing area, so big!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2005, 06:26 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Gene , Thanks to the 4F-51(where I was forced to use the rudder ), I'm now conditioned to use the rudder whilst flying ... a practice I largely ignored in the past, but is so Important to proper flying , and 3D , and now I'm ready for my heli .... Thanks Gene and 4F...
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 11, 2005, 07:59 PM
Well, here is my Fat P51 made from SB....& Gene's plans...

I used short cuts paint and used the method discribed in the thread "those of us without airbrushes"...Got the flame pattern free off the internet...and used the red and yellow as dicribed in the paint thread.....looks really cool. used Gene's stars & bar pattern as on the plans...it works slick too!

ready for equipt it weighs at 2.4 oz. Will try a GB GBV single 19T 26 g...probably 8x3.8 or 7x4 and see how it flys....if not...it will get my Littlescreamer Denovo...

I really hope this flys as good as it looks...because it really looks great!!!

I can't thank everyone enough on this forum...for all the plans...ideas...help...etc. I have had more fun in the last year, than flying slimers for 40 yrs!!! I must spend half my day in the "Foamies" group....

"Thanks again" to all that make Foamies great!!!

Mike

Will be a few days before I can maiden this....can't wait....

Then i have to build Yuk III...
Jul 11, 2005, 10:08 PM
it looks great, you wont be disappointed. i have not tried a 19 turn seems kind of between a 2 cell and a 3 cell motor.

Bob
Jul 11, 2005, 10:40 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Looks great MJ... Not sure about 19t, as Bob said... I haven't tried anything between 23 and 17... Like my 15t motors best so far...

Anyway, be ready, it's a blast!
Jul 12, 2005, 07:15 AM
Gene...I have several motors yet to be wound....maybe I'll wind a 15 T and see what happens I have a couple of 3s 380 packs and several 730 2s packs....so I have a hard time deciding what to use....

In the process of building motor test stand...then I can really tell what will work best...

Looking forward to playing with this in the front yard.
Jul 12, 2005, 10:53 AM
i just tried a 14t 24ga, i would have put on 15 but i'm not that good, it seems to pull very well with 2s and a 8x4 or a 9x5.

Bob

edit: the 9x5, while it will run seems a bit to much for this wind.
Last edited by bob s; Jul 15, 2005 at 12:42 PM.
Jul 15, 2005, 12:07 PM
Bit-Twiddler and Flyer
Gene,

You said this was your favorite latest model. Here's the virtual 4F-51.zip.

I hope this FMS version does the actual model justice.
Give it a try when you get a chance and let me know how it flys.

-- ggunners
Jul 15, 2005, 01:18 PM
Ggunners that is cool, going to have to try it when I get home this afternoon.
Jul 17, 2005, 08:46 PM
Well...I ran about 6 packs of both 2s and 3s through this thing in the front yard...it definately does like like too much wind with the big wing area. i was surprised at how much authority the rudder has...just the littlest movement and you are turning "right now" Had to cut down some E and A movement also.....

Fun little plan to play with in the fromt yard...

Will have to build the Blu 51 to handle a little more wind....

Thanks again gene for a nice plane..

Mike
Jul 17, 2005, 10:09 PM
gpw
gpw
Blu-51 on 3 cells is "Killer" in the wind ....
Jul 18, 2005, 11:59 AM
Crash Master
Thread OP
gg: Thanks again for the models of models I'll try it when I get home Wednesday... the xt did not make this trip and no way I can fly from the keyboard....

mj: sounds like you found the spirit of the 4F design. Front yard for sure... float and rip together. Now with EWO's new foam find, maybe we can all have an epp alternative, too. definately Blu-51 for some wind.... Glen's was ripping it up yesterday in a good bit of wind!
Jul 19, 2005, 07:35 AM
gpw
gpw
actually this is the most FUN plane we've had in awhile .... wind ? no problamo!!!! we laugh at the wind ...hahahahaha
FFFF-51 in EPE is gonna' be cool .... no way to break it in a crash ... now if we only had rubber spars ....HMMMMMMM?????????
Jul 19, 2005, 09:14 AM
"Experienced-Crasher"

Use 3/32 Fiberglass kite rods...

GREAT for spars & landing gears! You can bend them in a figure-8 & not break them,.. great for landing gear too. BEST of all.. You get 5 of them in a Wally-World, or Toys-RUs 52" Delta kite for $3.88 I think You get 2 x 29" ers, 2 X 19"ers, and a 14"er... comes out to about 50-ish cents ea. They're GREAT for looooong Landing gears! Here's a pic of My YukBee,.. Has a prop "bumper" and the wing spar is taped to the L/E. The L/G is 3/32" fiberglass kite rod too.. 8.5" worth with wire axles wrapped in thread & CA'd on the bottom.... Bob
Jul 19, 2005, 11:58 PM
Crash Master
Thread OP
Gary: The only thing I noticed right off is the throttle response is too slow. It's Like a BP esc, rather than a CC... I'll have to see where that gets adjusted.

Edit: Found it... I changed: Pitch .3, Prop/Engine inertia: 0.0001, Idle speed 3000rpm. Much closer, but I may continue to massage it.
Last edited by Gene Bond; Jul 20, 2005 at 12:14 AM.

Quick Reply