Nov 12, 2020, 05:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best 1.3m STOL - Bigfoot, Ranger, Tundra or Valiant?

The aforementioned three have caught my attention:

Arrows Bigfoot seems sturdy in flight and well built but no floats are a concern. Durafly Tundra is generally well regarded but build quality some have questioned, while the FMS Ranger is probably the best over-rounder but is essentially a trainer with no flaps.

Which one would users recommend, if any?

Regards
Last edited by Midtimer1; Nov 13, 2020 at 05:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 12, 2020, 08:08 AM
If you want stol then forget about the plane with no flaps.
I'd go with the Tundra.
Another option would be the King Fisher. It has a more forgiving stall then the Tundra making it a little easier to fly but the Tundra has gobs more power and is more exciting. The landing gear on the Tundra is better as well imo.
Nov 12, 2020, 09:46 AM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Is there a reason you only list the three planes?
Are you unaware of the other options available? Not able to get certain models where you live?

Personally I'd take a Timber or Cub (with flaps).
Whatever you decide on if you want STOL you want flaps.
Nov 12, 2020, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxProGT
If you want stol then forget about the plane with no flaps.
I'd go with the Tundra.
Another option would be the King Fisher. It has a more forgiving stall then the Tundra making it a little easier to fly but the Tundra has gobs more power and is more exciting. The landing gear on the Tundra is better as well imo.

The FMS Kingfisher is a good shout, slighter larger wingspan than I had intended but thank you nonetheless.
Nov 12, 2020, 11:19 AM
Ive had both a tundra and currently have a night timber.

I will say the Timber will fly slower than the tundra (If you attach LE Slats), but the Timbers drop down flaps are much superior for slowing than the Timber. However, the Timbers flaps can go up, so they can be paired with the Ailerons and make the Timber MUCH more acrobatic than the Tundra!

The landing gear on the Timber are better than the Tundra, and the Timber has real hinges in it, while the tundra only has foam hinges. However, the Tundra is a lot cheaper.
Nov 12, 2020, 05:44 PM
Hi,

I have the Bigfoot and love it. I had the Ranger and thought it was good, but I sold it off because my Valiant 1.3 was far better. I would recommend the Valiant. I fly one on floats and another off wheels.

If I could only have one R/C airplane, it would be the Valiant 1.3.
Nov 12, 2020, 06:13 PM
+1 on the Valiant 1.3

Been flying mine since April of 2017 & it's still my favorite "go to" plane.
Nov 12, 2020, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Thank you all for your input.

There have been some great suggestions so far, the Elite Valiant 1.3m in particular has many things that I’m looking for in a STOL rc plane. The point of this thread is to collate ideas, hopefully anyone interested can gain something from it.
Last edited by Midtimer1; Nov 12, 2020 at 08:54 PM.
Nov 12, 2020, 09:30 PM
Rabid Rabbit
The Valiant is a great plane. Not really an STOL but it flys well.. It can use bigger wheels.
Nov 12, 2020, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtimer1
The aforementioned three have caught my attention:

Arrows Bigfoot seems sturdy in flight and well built but no floats are a concern. Durafly Tundra is generally well regarded but build quality some have questioned, while the FMS Ranger is probably the best over-rounder but is essentially a trainer with no flaps.

Which one would users recommend, if any?

Regards
I have two of those three - the Bigfoot and the Tundra. The Tundra is my favorite plane. It just seems 'comfortable' to fly. Very predictable with no surprises.

After the Tundra, my next favorite is the Timber X. Think of it as a Tundra on steroids! If set up for full-span ailerons, it rolls like crazy!

Everyone's experience is different - I had a Valiant for a while but didn't care for it

Don
Nov 12, 2020, 11:49 PM
The Valiant isn't a stol plane out of the box but all you'll need to do is slap on some bigger wheels and it'll make a great stol plane.
Some 3"-3/4 size wheels would be good.
Timber wheels would work but seem a little too big imo.
Nov 13, 2020, 03:54 AM
Timber X... Surprised it hasnt been mentioned (more).

STOL's out of a puddle the size of the plane on floats.

Does 3D too!

Now comes in Night mode with internal LED lighting in the fuse and wings, along with the normal nav lights.
Nov 13, 2020, 05:25 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don
I have two of those three - the Bigfoot and the Tundra. The Tundra is my favorite plane. It just seems 'comfortable' to fly. Very predictable with no surprises.

After the Tundra, my next favorite is the Timber X. Think of it as a Tundra on steroids! If set up for full-span ailerons, it rolls like crazy!

Everyone's experience is different - I had a Valiant for a while but didn't care for it

Don
Don can you kindly explain why you didnít care much for the Valiant please? Thanks.

The Timber X, (rightly or wrongly) I have read a few users were very unhappy with its quality control. It looks good, but to buy a fairly pricy plane youíll want everything working out of the box, at very least.
Nov 13, 2020, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Don can you kindly explain why you didnít care much for the Valiant please? Thanks.

The Timber X, (rightly or wrongly) I have read a few users were very unhappy with its quality control. It looks good, but to buy a fairly pricy plane youíll want everything working out of the box, at very least.
I have read a few users unhappy about each model listed, and each one has had users with units DOA.

A few users does not a bad plane make. Just saying.

There is also a reason why the Timbers are one of the most common seen bush/stol, because they are one of the best, and the X is quite good.

Dont take it out of consideration b/c a few peeps had bad apples, instead just make sure to check those things on yours. And make sure to dig *deep* if you think any of the others dont have their own...quirks...

Only thing I have seen the timber (or most any of the 1.xM HH planes) dinged for recently is potentially Servo issues. Cant speak for others but mine have worked well thus far (got mine summer 2019). If HH had quality issues perhaps they got them fixed for the Night Timber release

Though I will say if you just want true STOL and dont care about 3d perhaps one of the other three (or a turbo timber) would be better options. The X can STOL quite well, but it give up just a slight bit for the added 3D ability.

Another contender to think about, Air Tractor. Can be equipped with Ski's and Floats, but is 1.5m (as is the above mentioned turbo tim).
Nov 13, 2020, 07:42 AM
CR5
CR5
All out of icing sugar
Quote:
Don can you kindly explain why you didn’t care much for the Valiant please? Thanks.

The Timber X, (rightly or wrongly) I have read a few users were very unhappy with its quality control. It looks good, but to buy a fairly pricy plane you’ll want everything working out of the box, at very least.
The Turbo Timber will have the same QC as the Valiant and every other e-flite plane.

The difference, and why it's more expensive than the Valiant is that it comes with metal gear servos, suspension landing gear, and a way more powerful power system.
They were also designed for STOL instead of to be a trainer like the Valiant.
The Turbo Timber also comes with floats which is a great addition to the kit.

If you just want STOL I would be looking at the Turbo Timber or the Maule M-7 from e-flite. They were designed to be STOL planes.
If you want STOL plus more aerobatic capabilities I would look at the Timber-x.

If you look you can find posts for any plane available where someone has had problems with something.
My Timber-x has had no issues that I couldn't fix for $0 after 38 flights (I have a lot of planes or the number if flights would be a lot higher).

The Timber is a plane you won't really grow out of where the Valiant is for the most part a trainer which will eventually get boring unless you start spending money on it, at which point you may as well have bought a Turbo Timber that already has all the power you would ever need. A more powerful motor and ESC will be more than the difference between the cost of the models retail prices.

Plus, no matter what problems people say the Timber has you're still backed by the e-flite/Horizon Hobby warranty so there's very little risk (exact same risk of having problems as the Valiant).

Is there a reason you are ok with 1.2m but it sounds like 1.5m is a little more than you want?

I only shop/suggest e-flite because they've pretty much displaced all other brands here so the only other brand I have exposure to is FMS. If I had access to other brands I would look at other options.
Last edited by CR5; Nov 13, 2020 at 07:55 AM.

Quick Reply