Taking a Look Back at the Roots of the RC Hobby

As we come upon a time of Thanksgiving, I thought it would be nice to take a look back at the roots of the RC Hobby shown in the video below...

Splash

Good Brothers Pioneers in Radio Controlled Model Aviation

RCGroups member snoopy3440 sent me this video and I thought it would be great to share.

snoopy3440 said "I came across this video and I was kinda blown away after watching it..lol...being a member on RCG since 08 I get tired of all the bickering and need for the latest greatest things. I think progress is good, but we forget where we come from and should enjoy what we have.. we don't always need the latest shiny new toy to enjoy our hobby. For me its always been about learning and teaching and friendship, so if you get a chance check out this video.."

That's so true! As we come upon a time of Thanksgiving, I thought it would be nice to take a look back at the roots of the RC Hobby shown in the video below and I hope that it helps us appreciate how far we've come and to be thankful for what we are able to do and enjoy right now in the hobby.

Nov 09, 2020, 01:19 PM
Just here to have fun with RC
Thanks for posting that. The Good brothers certainly did make a significant contribution to radio controlled flight in the early days. I began flying RC in the late 1950s and the memories of those times brought me to build Walter Good's Rudder Bug. Its first flight was on April 27, 2009 and it still flies beautifully today. Of course it is equipped with modern radio and control gear and I add elevator control to it as well as converting its power to brushless electric. A couple years after their Rudder Bug they designed and flew the Multi Bug where they added elevator control. The original Big Guff and Royal Rudder Bug are hanging in the AMA museum in Muncie Indiana. My Rudder Bug is pictured here.
Nov 09, 2020, 02:05 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Very cool Rhea!!
Nov 09, 2020, 02:28 PM
DFS#000178
I love how many old designs are starting to come around again, thanks to companies reengineering them with modern technology, like Willy Nillies. I just finished a Q-Tee 250 and it flies amazingly well. I also just recently built another Mirage 550 and powered it with an old Astro 05. These old designs fly great.

"They don't make 'em like they used to."

Also, this youtube video. So much has changed, so much is still the same.

Marvelous Miniatures (46 min 24 sec)
Nov 09, 2020, 02:38 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Isn't it always the way, I never had a camera with me at the right time back in the late 50's when I started RC, single channel, superregen valve transmitter and valve receiver, a rubber band biased Mighty Midget geared electric motor as the 'servo'.

Prior to that I was building and flying free flight and control line, (occasionally both at the same time when the lines broke).

Got my first 'digital proportional' RC outfit early 1960.

Ray.
Nov 09, 2020, 02:47 PM
Sokol
thanks to the generosity of two friends, I had the chance to put my hands on a classic from 1941, the Brooklyn Dodger, by Sal Taibi.

here is the maiden video

Brooklyn Dodger - Movie (2 min 21 sec)

and my blog entry on RCG:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...rooklyn-Dodger
Latest blog entry: Brooklyn Dodger
Nov 09, 2020, 03:38 PM
Gotta show my electric full size Sterling Mambo scratched from downloaded enlarged plans. Loves thermal flying on three channels.
Nov 09, 2020, 03:43 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
Gotta show my electric full size Sterling Mambo scratched from downloaded enlarged plans. Loves thermal flying on three channels.
That's what I do with my Mirage.

It's 100% built per the original kit (no ailerons, plan-specified dihedral) and with an Astro 05 on a 2s 2200 it came out almost 10 ounces lighter than with the original equipment. It's a floater. It loves thermal soaring and it looks stunning doing it.

This airplane is my working argument that there's nothing wrong with brushed motors.
Nov 09, 2020, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
Thanks for posting that. The Good brothers certainly did make a significant contribution to radio controlled flight in the early days. I began flying RC in the late 1950s and the memories of those times brought me to build Walter Good's Rudder Bug.
I remember going to a presentation at a church meeting where a guy active in R/C talked about R/C airplanes, this would have been early 1960's. I would have been about 12 or so and desperately wanted to partake in that aspect of the hobby but at the time we just didn't have the money for stuff like that. My father had earned his private license just before WWII started so the interest was there but the money was not. I have a DC area sectional chart framed and mounted in the house here. It expired (for navigation use) in September 1940 and shows the old AN radio ranges, and has pencil route lines drawn for flights Dad made. I found the chart in the attic long after he had passed.

Decades later (I finally started flying R/C in 1983) I did get to meet Walt Good at a couple of DC/RC meetings where I was a member. Also Maynard Hill, who set a number of speed, altitude, and distance records, including the first R/C airplane to fly the Atlantic. Some of his airplanes are hanging in the Smithsonian. Both were really nice guys, although by then Walt Good was in his 80's and only came to a few meetings during the time I was a club member. Maynard Hill was a fascinating guy to talk to.
Nov 09, 2020, 09:07 PM
I still fly a Hobby Lobby Miss2 from 2000 , found and purchased on RCGroups . Fellow flyers get a kick from its 30 minute flight as I eat a leisurely lunch !

ElektroCodger
Highlands nc
Nov 10, 2020, 01:37 PM
Modeling Retread
If you are interested in the history of radio control, please consider joining us in the Vintage Radio Control Society. We cover all aspect of vintage RC planes, that is designs and kit at least 35 years old. We have six newsletters a year and membership entitles you to access our entire library, 177 issues as of now. Find us at:

Vintage R/C Society Home Page

What kind of planes were we building/flying 35 years ago, well this page from BTE, Bruce Tharpe Engineering, lists most of the kits available in the early '80s:

THE GREAT VRCS KIT LIST FOR 1981-1984

This list includes many planes that are still popular, and some are available today.
Latest blog entry: Doofus Driven Repair
Nov 10, 2020, 02:40 PM
I don't know what was said after the first RC model flew, but I'm sure when the second one landed someone was already saying that the hobby isn't what it used to be and the golden age is over.
Nov 10, 2020, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3
If you are interested in the history of radio control, please consider joining us in the Vintage Radio Control Society. We cover all aspect of vintage RC planes, that is designs and kit at least 35 years old. We have six newsletters a year and membership entitles you to access our entire library, 177 issues as of now. Find us at:

Vintage R/C Society Home Page

What kind of planes were we building/flying 35 years ago, well this page from BTE, Bruce Tharpe Engineering, lists most of the kits available in the early '80s:

THE GREAT VRCS KIT LIST FOR 1981-1984

This list includes many planes that are still popular, and some are available today.
Pls add General Aristocrat to Flyline list.
Nov 10, 2020, 06:39 PM

Keilkraft Swan glider circa 1964

Yep, that's me! Also a few years later me launching a Veron Deacon for my brother - this had single channel analogue receiver with rubber band escapement (rudder control only)....on the KeilKraft? single channel transmitter one click for left, a second click for centre rudder, a third click for right rudder so to get right rudder from left rudder took two clicks...not at all intuitive!
Last edited by richardjc; Nov 10, 2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: add another photo and text
Nov 10, 2020, 07:00 PM
My first RC plane in 1969 a Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 with homemade transmitter built from a schematic in a MAN (Model Airplane News) magazine. It was 27MHz, note the center loaded antenna. 72MHz was released soon after and Heathkit came out with 3 channel and 5 channel radio kits of which I built both. The engine was not used in the Falcon. It was a McCoy from a control line plane that sat in the Falcon until I got a Veco with a carburetor.

Quick Reply