What the Heck Wednesday - Flying Wing Crash and Go?!?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video sent by RCGroups member davecee. It's an Assassin flying wing doing something I've never seen before.

Splash

What the Heck Happened?

This week on What the Heck Wednesday we have a video sent by RCGroups member davecee. It's an Assassin flying wing doing something I've never seen before. I started watching excited to see fun crash footage. The pilot tosses the plane and starts flying, turns and heads back down the field. The wing rolls over and heads towards the ground and I'm thinking here we go! It hits the ground, does some sort of advanced gymnastics and ends up back in the air like nothing happened. WHAT... THE... HECK... JUST HAPPENED??? Was that a fluke? Nope! He does it again!!! Can someone please explain the physics on this one to me?

Thanks davecee for sending this video in. If you have a video of a weird or entertaining crash and would like to be featured on What the Heck Wednesday, please send me a PM with your submission.

Nov 04, 2020, 09:45 AM
As I see it (could be wrong):

It hits the ground wingtip first, cartwheels around nose and continues to rotate onto the other wingtip, which pole-vaults it back into the air. Apply power, and the stupidly overpowered motor accelerates it up & away like nothing happened.

Basically conservation of momentum. The linear momentum just briefly got converted into rotary momentum and then back to linear.
Nov 04, 2020, 10:48 AM
Design Engineer
..... What jkettu said....

that has got to be one of the toughest planes I've ever seen. I hope that thing dominates in combat.
Nov 04, 2020, 12:05 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Gotta love the Assassin. I hope the ground is OK.
Nov 04, 2020, 12:32 PM
RCG Admin
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee
gotta love the assassin. I hope the ground is ok.

lol!
Nov 04, 2020, 04:09 PM
Wish my Opterra had been as tough as that.
Nov 04, 2020, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunkman
Wish my Opterra had been as tough as that.
LOL! Same with my Popwing.
Nov 04, 2020, 07:28 PM
formerly Juddkleinman
No one that flies slope combat is surprised by this. Happens all the time. you can build a wing to be almost indestructible and they bounce nicely! In this case it's lucky he did not strike the prop but there it is...
Nov 04, 2020, 08:31 PM
That is awesome!
Nov 11, 2020, 11:00 AM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Not a pretty move to add to an aero schedule, but hey!!

I had an own design EPP foam colour tape covered pod and wing delta years ago (about 2007), it was blisteringly fast.

On a high to low altitude screaming pass, as I opened it out further to climb away, while right in front of me doing close to three figure speed, it went from Yellow and Red to White, then a lot of it exploded into white confetti fluttering slowly down.

The rear steel metal motor mount had sheared and the motor complete with screaming brushless and 6x4 speed prop firstly stripped and wrapped up the tape, exposing all the white bare foam, then destroyed most of the trailing half of the delta flailing around.

It was a sunny day down sun so very visible, and extremely spectacular, but sadly, no camera pointed on it!

It did get rebuilt with new foam wing blanks, but this time the mount was thicker steel and the finish was PolyC resin and aerosol paint with a custom yellow/orange/rad faded flames theme from 3D Print templates and rattle cans.

It's still working for its living today, same radio and servos, same motor and 90A esc !

It's "other" party trick is if climbed out near vertical at high speed, and too quickly levelled, it will occasionally uncommanded flick into a perfect inverted flat fast spin which with elevon only has proven impossible to recover from, but its downward speed is so limited that it emerges unscathed.
Nov 11, 2020, 04:34 PM
Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
Here is another fun Assassin video.

I threw an RC plane out of my real plane, and flew it! - VLOG (12 min 38 sec)
Nov 11, 2020, 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Here is another fun Assassin video.

https://youtu.be/h14ahTwOdmo
Tsk-tsk. I hope the FAA is not watching,
Nov 11, 2020, 05:36 PM
I see they do allow this over sparsely populated areas. Looks like fun.
Last edited by shunkman; Nov 11, 2020 at 05:43 PM.

Quick Reply