Nov 03, 2020, 10:01 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Scratch Built DLG, on the cheap.

As was suggested. Here is thread dedicated to the developing art of a scratch made cheap DLG with good performance. Many of you have seen boa2110 ‘s videos etc with the dollar tree foam board wing. And it’s just a marvel what he can make these things do. This discussion is simply meant to build on that idea if desired.

Personally, given he lives in AZ and I live in Florida, the paper left on his wing ( which is central to his design) will not last very long for me. So I’m interested in branching out with ideas to add simple and cheap carbon reinforcements and tape/ laminate coverings to these foam wings to solve the environmental problems most of us would encounter. Adams board is great. But house insulation expanded polystyrene is also great. Etc etc etc.

Anyone chime in. All ideas are welcome and encouraged. No judgment or contentious thoughts will be tolerated. Any idea is a good idea! Peace. Love. And thermals! :-D

I’ll post pics of progress. Etc

Y’all do the same if you want.

-dan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2020, 10:14 AM
I don't even have a DLG now.... but
Talk about carbon spars tends to refer to tubes. Do they have some benefit over a flat strip, 0.5 x 6 mm for example, embedded vertically in the foam?
Nov 03, 2020, 10:17 AM
Thread OP
I intend to try both. We’ll find out hopefully. :-)
Nov 03, 2020, 10:38 AM
Have Fun and Just Fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime
I don't even have a DLG now.... but
Talk about carbon spars tends to refer to tubes. Do they have some benefit over a flat strip, 0.5 x 6 mm for example, embedded vertically in the foam?
I suggest to watch some vids and do some research.

Although you might think a vertically embedded flat spar would be best to create wing bending stiffness, I was told that all material should be as much as possible located in the skin. So flat on top would be better.

Apart from the necessity to create a closed skin (Dbox) to ensure torsion stiffness. A vertical webbing before the hinge would do for that probably.

I'm no expert! But verify, and don't follow intuition on composite mechanics. Film and foam is also composite.
Nov 03, 2020, 10:43 AM
Nice, let's see what you're up to. As we speak I am hot wire cutting my first blue expanded polystyrene foam insulation board into a dlg wing..
Nov 03, 2020, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Dude! That’s awesome. Can’t wait to see it. Afilos
I’ve ticked some others off saying it I think, but I really believe that stuff will be worth the extra effort for a better wing.
Nov 03, 2020, 10:52 AM
Thread OP
@lshems. Good points. AFilos here has demonstrated this well. And will continue to I’m sure. I’m trying some rods first because that’s what I have at the moment. Layed is a channel along the bottom skin. Watch the ‘Vick wing build’ video on YouTube. That’s exactly what I’m personally going for at the moment. I even have that same laminating tape I ordered.

As I say. We shall see.
Nov 03, 2020, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81
I’ve ticked some others off saying it I think, but I really believe that stuff will be worth the extra effort for a better wing.
@Dan81 dude! don't think you ticked anybody off, it's just a different topic from dtfb which is exactly what your new thread here is perfect for! now you've got the dtfb thread to enjoy and watch for new innovations there and this thread to go off in any other direction... is all good!

(subscribed)
Nov 03, 2020, 12:34 PM
Thread OP
Thanks man. I really didnít want to hijack anything. But like anything else now a days, seemed to be going in two different directions. Somewhat anyway.
Nov 03, 2020, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
I just want this to be real positive etc etc. other one had a bit of a negative connotation brewing. :-/. My $.02 anyway.
Nov 03, 2020, 12:43 PM
i think combining the non-wing innovations from the dtfb thread with an active discussion and experimenting with alternate diy wing construction methods has a lot of promise for this thread. personally, i feel that improving the airfoil is the critical next step and luckily you can go very far with airfoil refinement using a cheap and easily constructed hot-wire setup with any number of readily available foam materials. from countless youtube examples, my sense is that hot wire is all about finding excellent airfoil designs, making great root/tip chord templates and refining your cutting technique. with some care and patience i have no doubt anyone can get to the point of cutting exceptionally good cores - it just doesn't seem to be all that difficult.
Nov 03, 2020, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan81
Thanks man. I really didnít want to hijack anything. But like anything else now a days, seemed to be going in two different directions. Somewhat anyway. I just want this to be real positive etc etc. other one had a bit of a negative connotation brewing. :-/. My $.02 anyway.
yeah, the line where discussion starts to tip over into hijacking can be delicate. seeing a little prickliness, that was why i offered some thoughts and encouragement - hopefully gentle - for a possible new thread. and whad'dya know - it's already up and off to the races! cheers
Nov 03, 2020, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Afilos is cutting some blue cores right now he said. Im betting they’ll be pretty decent.
Nov 03, 2020, 01:19 PM
here is Andrew Newton's excellent basic tutorial on hot-wire core cutting and a link to the UIUC Airfoil Database he references for downloading/printing profile template.

Hot wire airfoils (6 min 8 sec)
Nov 03, 2020, 01:28 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Packing tape does a pretty good job of sealing the foam. I have flown lots of planes with packing tape over foam wings. Also, I donít know much about the DTF planes but have used the dollar tree foam and know if itís paper covering. There is a type of insulation foam similar to dollar tree foam thatís called ďfan foldĒ. It comes in big sheets that are accordion fan type at hardware places. This foam has a plastic coating rather than paper coating. So maybe that type of foam would work better if moisture is a concern and could simply be used as a drop in replacement on the DTF planes.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons

Quick Reply