Tom Martin Sterling Citabria

Re-engineereed from the 70s plan,Rubber, or convert Electric Power and RC from Tom Martin RC.

Splash

Tom Martin Sterling Citabria

Laser cut partial kit of the Sterling 1970s 33.5" American Champion Citabria, no plans. Photo shows layout and size of the laser cut parts which are test fit digitally and notched to to adjust for laser kerf to provide accurate fit and robustly strong assembled model, ready to add your rubber or electric power and RC conversion.

This kit project makes a great introduction to advanced woodworking for older children and young adults with supervision and instruction on the safety required when using sharp edge tools. Great way to stimulate the imaginations through STEM and STEM+C and Science Olympiad.

Kit includes all parts shown on original plan (and in the image and list here) for the construction of the complete airframe less the long stock stringers which may be cut from the edges of the sheet or purchased with wire for landing gear, wheels and tires, etc. at better hobby, home improvement or hardware stores.

A typical build to RC electric power is documented here of the original model: https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75070

Laser Cut Parts Kit

• Sheet 01 1/8" hard balsa, fuselage keel formers, wing spars.
  • Sheet 02 1/16" balsa, fusleage bulkhead formers
  • Sheet 03 1/16" balsa, fuselage formers
  • Sheet 04 3/32" balsa, wing, tail trailing edges, tips, strut mounts
  • Sheet 05 1/16" balsa, wing ribs
  • Sheet 07 1/16" ply fuselage cowl, firewall, wing mount joiner
  • Sheet 06 1/8" 2 mil clear mylar windscreens

Hardware Required purchased separately:

• Engine Cowling, Vacuum formed .020" plastic (in absence of plastic formed cowl one can easily be made from carved balsa)
  • Spring Steel Landing Gear Wire .040" x 12" length (2)
  • Spring Steel Tail Wheel Wire, .032" x 2-1/2" length
  • Spring Steel Elevator Stiffener Wire, .032" x 2-1/2" length
  • Spring Steel Main Gear Leg Mounting Pins, .032" x 2" length (2)
  • 1-3/4" dia. Dubro Super Light Weight Wheels pkg of 2 DUB175SL
  • 1/2" dia. Tail Wheel DUB12MTW (1 qty. required only)
  • Control Surface Hinges, CA type
  • Micro Control Horns, pkg of 2 DUB848
  • 1/16" ID x 3" length Aluminum Tubing Main Gear Mount K&S1008

Learn More

Head over to Tom Martin Radio Control for pricing and more info.

Last edited by Jim T. Graham; Nov 02, 2020 at 12:47 PM..
Nov 04, 2020, 12:29 PM
Tom has great stuff, and he happens to be within driving distance from me, which makes it a little dangerous... I've got several of his kits in the building queue for this winter. :-)
Nov 09, 2020, 03:50 PM
This one is really cool I really like it !
Nov 12, 2020, 03:44 PM
That's mine in the photos. Had it out this past summer, letting my old flying buddy fly it. Really nice model to fly. The kit had all light wood as some Sterling kits did (others had ironwood) but it was not the best contest grade and well crunched from the die cutting. Still one of their best designs and would be really nice to build with LC parts.
Nov 14, 2020, 06:10 AM
Wow, One of my most favorite models from my early days of balsa. I gotta check this one out for sure!

I would be all over this kit if it had the cowling! Gotta have that to be right, bummer.
Last edited by sj3cub; Nov 14, 2020 at 06:27 AM.
Nov 14, 2020, 09:11 AM
Last time I was over there a few weeks ago, he was having the cowl wheel pants and spinner tooling for vac formed parts being made. You might want to give him a call and see if that's been completed.
The Comet and Sterling kits I got from him all had vac formed cowls.
Nov 14, 2020, 09:21 AM
TMRC Comet Taylorcraft

Quick Reply