Futaba T16IZ Coming Soon

Details are scarce at the moment, but Futaba has a new radio on the way in the T16IZ.

Splash

New Futuaba T16IZ

Details are scarce at the moment, but Futaba has a new radio on the way in the T16IZ. It looks awesome but we don't have a full spec list just yet. More details to come, but what do you guys think from looking at the photos below?

Visit the Futaba USA Site Here

Nov 02, 2020, 09:18 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Looks interesting.

USB-C for pc is nice, likely it will USB charge too (which Futaba has done on the 32MZ)

The antenna is slick, fold away but positionable

Thinner body, simpler sliders make me think this is going to functionally replace the 14SG in the slot between the T-FHSS radios and the 16SZ

Unknowables now: is the screen decent? The 16SZ screen is a bad joke compared to Jumper/Radiomaster due to poor visibility in direct sunlight. The side by side pick gives hope here.

Is there any evolution in the RF system. As solid as FASSTest is, it’s aging badly in terms of the level of integration with in-aircraft systems. Futaba needs to evolve their telemetry system into a real 2nd generation system.

Is Futaba going to release a modern stabilized receiver? Or will Futaba users continue to rely on 3rd party units.
Nov 02, 2020, 10:22 AM
Team Futaba
The major difference on this compared to the original 16SZ is the addition of the software to talk directly to the CGY760R helicopter gyro.

The case is similar to the 32MZ but lacks the upper screen, has a different access to the battery and moved the charge and micro-SD card slot to the top of the TX under the antenna. It has the 14SG sticks just like the 16SZ. It has all the same programming as the 16SZ (with the added gyro programming mentioned above.)

Unless you want the gyro programming or simply like the case format there is no reason to consider it an "upgrade" from the current 16SZ.

It uses the same USB charging scheme (and battery) as the 32MZ.

The CGY760R is an integrated receiver and 3-axis gyro for helicopter use. I know that Futaba is working on an airplane version but I have no idea when that will be released.
Nov 02, 2020, 01:46 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
I like the physical differences, the new location on the shoulders for knobs, the folding antenna, thinner and the screen looks brighter.

Curious to see what new features this offers for fixed wing guys already using the 16sz.
Nov 02, 2020, 02:52 PM
Julian T
A personal perspective.

I am at a loss to understand why I would want to charge from a USB. I charge my (18SZ) tx about once a month. The hardship of charging with my charger and balancing at the same time is obviously horrendous but I struggle through. A charge typically takes around 30 minutes.

The screen on my tx is self evidently seriously inadequate yet I have never had a problem reading it in bright sunlight. More to the point, I have never, and I mean never, had a problem using it as the interface to control the tx's functions; it is a simple, intuitive (to me) way of setting up every model I have owned in the last 5 years. Its sensitivity and accuracy are equal to the best smart phone I have used. I have seen users of every other system in our club faffing around for ages trying to find how to do remarkably simple things, including the apparently incredibly simple and intuitive to use market leader.

My main, in fact overwhelming need (not want) is for the RF link to be 'solid'. Without that any and all other capabilities are irrelevant.

I am sure Futaba will release a 'modern stabilised rx' for airplane use. Woopee do. I have had enough of stabilised rxs from a number of other brands to know I won't be investing in it - many are frankly disasters waiting to happen unless you wish to invest hours working out how to set them up - even then some of them are simply not fit for purpose - I mean they do not work as intended. My advice, if you want a gyro get a good quality one (3rd party) and enjoy reliability, predictability, ease of setup (usually), and excellent performance. I am pretty sure a Futaba stabilised rx will work as advertised but for most of my models I don't need or even want it.

The case format and design is probably better for some, irrelevant for others. I am so used to the knobs, dials and switches on mine that a change would take me time to get used to and is not worth the bother for no net gain. I would guess there is no reason why the gyro capability can not be made available to 16/18SZ users - though again irrelevant for my wants, let alone needs. The new aerial looks more robust, but after 4 2.4 txs I have yet to break one of the old design - but I am very protective of my txs.

I admit I seem to be unusual that my main interest is flying and controlling fixed wing (a few helis but they are of only limited interest to me) aircraft and I don't like aircraft which need stabilisation to fly well, regardless of conditions. Some models do benefit from it, notably moderate sized warbirds, around 5 kg say, not to make them easier to fly but to make their flights more realistic, and micro helis and UMX fixed wing which I had a ball with for a while but then the novelty wore off.
Nov 02, 2020, 03:10 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliant
A personal perspective.

I am at a loss to understand why I would want to charge from a USB. I charge my (18SZ) tx about once a month. The hardship of charging with my charger and balancing at the same time is obviously horrendous but I struggle through. A charge typically takes around 30 minutes.
Have you never seen a fellow pilot arrive at the field and discover that their TX battery is low?

USB chargers are ubiquitous and common to pretty much everything out there. It's a trivial matter to charge and you can re-use the same charger your phone, tablet, laptop and most other common personal electronics today. USB power banks are also extremely common.

Why should your transmitter not gain from the advances in personal electronics charging?

Quote:
The screen on my tx is self evidently seriously inadequate yet I have never had a problem reading it in bright sunlight. More to the point, I have never, and I mean never, had a problem using it as the interface to control the tx's functions; it is a simple, intuitive (to me) way of setting up every model I have owned in the last 5 years. Its sensitivity and accuracy are equal to the best smart phone I have used. I have seen users of every other system in our club faffing around for ages trying to find how to do remarkably simple things, including the apparently incredibly simple and intuitive to use market leader.
I can't comment on the 18SZ screen unless it's the same one on the 16SZ, as I've only seen the latter. The 16SZ screen is an embarrassment to Futaba. It is low contrast and very difficult to read in direct sunlight (based on the units I've seen at the field). It is grossly inferior to the colour screens available on $100 transmitters like the Radioking T18, as well as more expensive transmitters like Jeti, the FrSky Horus radios, and the Spektrum iX series.

Is it usable? Yes, but barely legible.

Quote:
My main, in fact overwhelming need (not want) is for the RF link to be 'solid'. Without that any and all other capabilities are irrelevant.
Don't disagree with that.

Quote:
I am sure Futaba will release a 'modern stabilised rx' for airplane use. Woopee do. I have had enough of stabilised rxs from a number of other brands to know I won't be investing in it - many are frankly disasters waiting to happen unless you wish to invest hours working out how to set them up - even then some of them are simply not fit for purpose - I mean they do not work as intended. My advice, if you want a gyro get a good quality one (3rd party) and enjoy reliability, predictability, ease of setup (usually), and excellent performance. I am pretty sure a Futaba stabilised rx will work as advertised but for most of my models I don't need or even want it.
However the vast majority of the market does want it. Not having such a receiver is simply one more reason for the buyer to choose a different brand over Futaba.

And frankly, a well designed one is not that difficult to setup, as Spektrum, Jeti and Graupner have all proved.

Quote:
The case format and design is probably better for some, irrelevant for others. I am so used to the knobs, dials and switches on mine that a change would take me time to get used to and is not worth the bother for no net gain. I would guess there is no reason why the gyro capability can not be made available to 16/18SZ users - though again irrelevant for my wants, let alone needs. The new aerial looks more robust, but after 4 2.4 txs I have yet to break one of the old design - but I am very protective of my txs.

I admit I seem to be unusual that my main interest is flying and controlling fixed wing (a few helis but they are of only limited interest to me) aircraft and I don't like aircraft which need stabilisation to fly well, regardless of conditions. Some models do benefit from it, notably moderate sized warbirds, around 5 kg say, not to make them easier to fly but to make their flights more realistic, and micro helis and UMX fixed wing which I had a ball with for a while but then the novelty wore off.
Park fliers and foamies up to 1.5m or so also benefit greatly from stabilization. And guess what the vast majority of RC fixed wing pilots today fly? Foam up to 1.5m or so.

I understand why these features are uninteresting to you, but they are of interest to the majority of the consumer market today.
Nov 02, 2020, 03:42 PM
Julian T
As I said, a personal perspective.

One of the best models I have is an Eflite QQ Edge 280. It weighs less than 250g, is far more fun to fly than the smaller UMX 3d models, and has no stabilisation. It is a well designed model that can be flown in winds and brings a smile to my face every time I fly it. It has its drawbacks, mostly to do with the ridiculously fragile and expensive Eflite servos installed. If it can fly well without stabilisation there is no reason why a well designed park flyer, which almost by definition will be a foamie, can not do likewise. The suspicion is that gyros are used to overcome poor aerodynamic designs in the rush to market. The Rare Bear is another good example of a fine design supplied with a stabiliser rx - it never needed it but hey ho, if we can convince the punters it will fly better (it didn't, I have extensive experience of that model with and without the factory supplied stabilsation) it's all to the good.

You are right what the majority (we might disagree on what 'vast' means) fly such models.

If you think the offerings from Spektrum, Jeti and Graupner are not 'that difficult' to setup you are not reading all the threads I am but I am only speaking from experience in one case, though that is with a number of examples, a couple of which were downright unsafe to operate without disabling the 'stabilisation' completely . I can absolutely confirm the two 'third party' stabilisation systems I have personal and considerable experience of are easy to configure and very effective.

I don't know either if the 18 screen is the same as the 16 either but I can confirm after four and a half years of use I have had no problems reading or using the screen. My screen is as readable as my smartphone (Samsung) and as tactile (if you see what I mean) which means it is probably fine for most people. (I was concerned and before I purchased I did give it a thorough test to make sure it met my expectations.

Yes, I have seen a pilot arrive on site with a flat tx - though to be honest I have more often seen a pilot arrive without their tx - I think you will agree in that case a USB charger capability is of limited value. And I prefer to charge my tx with my charger with balancing capability, particularly because I ruined a pack once by charging without balancing. I have no idea if USB chargers give such capability, and of course some packs have internal logic to handle balancing, but then you pay for that with every pack you buy and add to cost - great for the supplier, not so much for the consumer.
Nov 02, 2020, 04:51 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trails
I like the physical differences, the new location on the shoulders for knobs, the folding antenna, thinner and the screen looks brighter.

Curious to see what new features this offers for fixed wing guys already using the 16sz.
No difference. THe only programming difference is the ability to program the CGY760R heli gyro. ALL other programming is the same.
Nov 02, 2020, 05:15 PM
No training port?
Nov 02, 2020, 05:16 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon_56
No training port?
Under the flap in the center of the transmitter back. You can just barely see Trainer molded into the flap.

Would be nice if Futaba added a wireless trainer feature (ie a SBus receiver as a trainer input).
Nov 02, 2020, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Under the flap in the center of the transmitter back. You can just barely see Trainer molded into the flap.

Would be nice if Futaba added a wireless trainer feature (ie a SBus receiver as a trainer input).
Saw the photo. Thanks
Nov 02, 2020, 11:29 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-AV8R
No difference. THe only programming difference is the ability to program the CGY760R heli gyro. ALL other programming is the same.
Looks like I'll keep some money in my pocket... no carrot here.
Nov 03, 2020, 03:23 AM
I would like to add to "juliant" sharp personal observations that we, model flying pilots, but have some eyes problems as it seems that many have problems seeing the 16SZ screen at sunlight.

But it happens that 16SZ has just the same screen that Futaba 7PX car radio and I have never heard or read about any buggy or car R/C driver complaining about this! And by the way, no, it is not the same screen for the 16SZ and 18SZ radios.
Nov 03, 2020, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescardin
And by the way, no, it is not the same screen for the 16SZ and 18SZ radios.
What's the difference ?
Nov 03, 2020, 02:34 PM
Lol, people really just live to whine, usb charging is now problematic.

Quick Reply