Oct 31, 2020, 08:48 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Thread OP
Build Log

J&H Aerospace Micro BOT build. A 48" model of a classic.

This is the build thread for our latest kit.

It's a 48" scale down of Dave Thornburg's fantastic design. The pure glider version builds out to about 85-90 grams, and the powered version builds out to anywhere between 95-115 grams depending on covering and power system. This results in a stupid low wing loading, and the ability to climb on almost anything. Upwind performance is pretty good considering the size and weight, but you don't want to be flying it in 20kt winds.
Some flight video is below, and keep your eye out, as more video is going to be out soon!

Micro R/C Sailplanes: Drifter and Bird of Time (6 min 54 sec)

So far, I have flown them as hand launch, high start, with an electric powerpod, and a motor in the nose. I'm able to reliably hand launch directly into thermals, due to the fantastic weak air thermalling ability of this thing!

This airplane builds incredibly quickly due to the lasercut interlocking parts, and as you will see, no plans are required. This build guide airplane took me 3 days start to finish, working maybe 5 hours a day. Taking photos really adds lots of time, I think I could finish an airplane from start to finish in 10 or 12 hours.

Recommended gear is two 3.7 gram servos, a 1s 350 (or 2s 180 and a bec), and for the powered version, a 180 2s, 6 amp esc, a 1207 for the powerpod, and something around a 8-10 gram outrunner and a 5x3 folding prop in the nose.

With all that being said, lets get on with the build! Feel free to ask questions, and comments are always welcome!

Ross

EDIT 1/29/2020
This guide posted is intended to give a rough overview of the build. The full guide here will give you all of the information you need to build your airplane in full. Ribs, spars, and sheeting is all labeled and referenced to in the build guide, which takes away some of the puzzle aspect here. I'd recommend using it when starting your build.
Last edited by funwithplanes; Jan 29, 2021 at 11:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2020, 09:03 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Thread OP
I'll be posting installments as time permits.

The fuselage build. Goes together in less than 20 minutes! All you need is thin and thick ca.

Feel free to ask questions!

Ross
Last edited by funwithplanes; Oct 31, 2020 at 09:26 PM.
Oct 31, 2020, 09:34 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
This is a great installment in Ross's design work. I've flown Ross's first Micro BOT and can attest to its ability to sky out from sub-30" hand launches. Really amazing thermal performance.

I'm rocking my own Micro BOT now, as shown above by Ross. The climb performance on the little 2s 180 packs is really impressive.
Nov 01, 2020, 12:53 AM
Balsa breaks better
Can I get one?

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Nov 01, 2020, 08:25 AM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaler
Can I get one?

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Oh duh! I forgot to put the link in!
https://jhaerospace.com/product/micro-bot/
Apologies!
Nov 01, 2020, 02:22 PM
John H
I just ordered one!
Last edited by florida; Nov 02, 2020 at 05:11 PM.
Nov 02, 2020, 03:23 PM
John H
what kind of High Start is that you are using?
Nov 02, 2020, 03:56 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida
what kind of High Start is that you are using?
It's 15-20 feet of 1/16" Tan supersport rubber, and about 70 feet of monofilament fishing line. As you can see, the climb is really good, considering the rubber cross-section. You definitely don't really need to go any bigger.

http://jhaerospace.com/product/1-16%...-16-ft-length/

Ross
Nov 02, 2020, 05:06 PM
John H
Can you add that to my order? Email sent
Nov 02, 2020, 05:06 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithplanes
Oh duh! I forgot to put the link in!
https://jhaerospace.com/product/micro-bot/
Apologies!

No apologies needed . . . it is great being human!!

Order placed, Thank You.

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Nov 02, 2020, 11:19 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida
Can you add that to my order? Email sent
Done. (Florida already knows that, but I figured I owed a public response).

Wish I'd had time to go fly my BOT today but I was too busy cutting kits for y'all. And frankly that makes for a truly satisfying day.
Nov 13, 2020, 10:02 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Thread OP

Wing build PT 2

Apologies for no updates, I've been crazy busy this last couple of weeks.

I should mention that the full build guide is available on the product page. This is the abbreviated guide just because of the text limitations here.
http://jhaerospace.com/product/micro-bot/

With that being said, here's the rest of the wing build.

As always, feel free to ask questions or make comments.

Ross.
Nov 14, 2020, 04:01 AM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithplanes
Apologies for no updates, I've been crazy busy this last couple of weeks.

I should mention that the full build guide is available on the product page. This is the abbreviated guide just because of the text limitations here.
http://jhaerospace.com/product/micro-bot/

With that being said, here's the rest of the wing build.

Ross.
Looking really good, looking forward to my kit . . .

Joe

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodys Forever
Nov 14, 2020, 09:02 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Thread OP

Basic Assembly

Here is basic assembly.

Here is the text on the rudder and elevator beveling. It's just too much to fit in the picture captions.

A quick note to mention before you start the tail surfaces. In this kit, we are including two rudders. The smaller one is the direct scale down, and the fatter one is one we drew up; to increase turning authority. If you use heavier covering (monokote, ultrakote, etc), you will find that the airplane doesnt enter a turn as well/as quickly, due to the extra mass out at the wingtips. The larger rudder will help with this. If you use light covering (solar film, parklite, doculam, etc), use the stock rudder.
Grab your 3/32 balsa tail parts, and that sheet of 1/16 ply. There is a small rectangle, which is your elevator joiner. Join the two halves, and pay attention to the control horn location. As shown, you are looking at the bottom of the elevator. The joiner should be flush with the top of the stab.

Bevel the bottom of the elevator. You will have to slightly sand a bevel into the joiner. On the rudder, you will have to bevel the left hand side of the rudder, as the control horn is on the right. Now things are beveled, round off all of the edges. Rudder, elevator, horizontal stabilizer, vertical stabilizer, the underpart of the vertical stabilizer, and the skid on the fuselage.

Once that is all done, you are good to cover. Final sand the wing and tail, and sand as you wish on the fuselage. Just don't round off the rear too much, see the photos to see where to avoid. It's just where the subfin and the bottom skid attach. Everything else is free game. I used doculam here, but any light covering will be okay.

One more installment and the build is done!! Hopefully soon we will have some decent video.

Ross

Quick Reply