Oct 30, 2020, 04:23 PM
Thread OP
Help!

So many choices.

To date I have a RocHobby V-Tail and a Volantex AWS28. The RocHobby is OK. The AWS is not so much, but fun. Recently, a club member brought out a Magellan he got from iCare. Lordy, the plane would just hang in the sky. Made me realize my birds are not so great. So, I want a "real" sailplane. Basic parameters are electric, ~2.5 M, and ALES. And something sub $400 before motor/servos etc. There are so many choices! The Magellan is just a bit too pricey. I have been looking at the TopModel CZ at espirit. The Albatros is lovely, but pushing my $ limit. The Marabu and Prelude look great. And maybe the Avia at iCare. I would like some experienced input before I drop my $'s. BTW, not looking at competition at this time.
Thanks!!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 30, 2020, 05:04 PM

Prelude

Iíve owned both the full house and the REF version of the Prelude. The turn response on the REF wasnít to my liking. Others may chime in and say it was great. However the full house version I acquired from Aloft Hobbies was the bees knees. Great ship at a reasonable cost. BTW, the diehedral on the wings appeared to be the same on both ships. Canít imagine why. Check out the Prelude thread, lots of good pointers / info. Iím overrun with sailplanes, but if I were to purchase a new one, Iíd look at the TM Grafas Maxís (X tail version). but thatís a bit over your budget. Itís large and would be easy to transport with the removable stabs. My current larger ships donít allow easy removal of the stabs and they are a pain to transport the fuselage to the field. Both the Prelude and Grafas have this transportation advantage.
Oct 30, 2020, 06:44 PM
I have had two Magellan XLs and have had great service from both. My original ended its days landing on a power line which fried the carbon into a big carbon afro. I had no hesitation in replacing it and the replacement has served me for many seasons.
It is a unique model with moulded glass and carbon over foam wings and tails. Sections are cut out and film covered. The fuselage is carbon/Kevlar mix which is tough as nails, all resulting in a reasonably low wing loading model. It is not a floater like my Pulsars, but is a mid range wing loading sailplane which thermals well and will serve you well for many seasons..
I have no reservations in recommending this model.
Oct 31, 2020, 09:15 AM
I have the Avia and love it for thermal flying. You can see it in action here, where I am showing to some pals the powerful crow braking.

(0 min 39 sec)

Coming from the models you have now, you will feel a huge improvement in thermal soaring with a model like the Avia or similar.

Here riding a weak low level thermal

(2 min 24 sec)

Cheers
Last edited by joao; Oct 31, 2020 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply