Oct 29, 2020, 08:44 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Introductory post

I've been lurking here for a few years and decided to finally join. I've been flying R/C since 1983 with about a ten-year layoff from 2000 to about 2010 when I finally got back into it after retiring and moving to West Virginia from the Washington, D.C. area. What got me back into it was discovering the UMX models that Horizon Hobby was offering and I bought a Sport Cub S as a reintroduction to R/C since I hadn't flown R/C for 10 years. Back when I was active I'd flown some pattern but I'm not a fan of attending contests so never competed. There aren't a lot of flying sites around here and the UMX planes got my interest because there is enough room to fly those in the back yard.

Another learning curve to climb was that new-fangled (to me) computer radio. They had just started to become popular when I stopped flying earlier and the thought of being able to set so many options from the transmitter was intriguing. Of particular interest was the ability to store model setups and change airplanes without having to buy a new radio for every airplane. I knew some guys who did that but my modeling budget didn't allow that. The most transmitters I ever had was three. So I ended up buying a Spektrum DX9 and probably spent a month studying the manual and looking up stuff online about how to use this new radio. When I told my wife that it would store configurations for 250 models she said "Don't even think about it!" I think she had visions of model airplanes stacked to the ceiling in the basement. Kinda sounds like something to aspire to for me. Maybe if I can sneak them in gradually, one or two at a time over years she won't notice....

Anyway, I've acquired a few larger airplanes as my wife's brother has a better site in his back yard and lives about a half hour away, and he's expressed an interest in learning to fly R/C. I already had bought a DX6 radio to teach a grandnephew (that didn't pan out, he lost interest) but having a wireless buddy box is way cool. Didn't have anything like that in the 1980s & '90s! So I have an E-flite Maule M7, a Timber, a Valiant, and just bought an Ultimate 3D and a V1200 speed demon. It will be a while before I actually fly the V1200 I think. I did have a Goldberg Ultimate and flew that a bunch of times just before stopping R/C for the 10-year layoff. After we moved and I hadn't flown anything for years I sold/gave away/threw out all the R/C airplanes and stuff except for the tools I'd acquired over the years. And I'm now a permanent convert to electric anyway, I'm done wiping oil off airplanes!

The FPV gear now available is something new to me too. Back in the 1990's I even got a ham radio license just to be able to put a TV camera and transmitter on an R/C airplane but dropped the idea when I found out it would cost a bit over $2,500, including the laptop computer to take to the field, to implement. That included building the TV camera/transmitter from a kit, the only one I could find at the time. If I recall right, it weighed a couple of pounds so it would need a fairly good-sized airplane to haul it aloft. Now you can buy that setup (sans laptop) for $16 on Amazon and it only weighs a few grams. Just amazing!

So that's my brief account of my R/C background, glad to be here!
to remove ads between posts
Oct 31, 2020, 03:44 AM
Glad to have you back!!
Nov 07, 2020, 02:35 PM
Hello & welcome to the forum!
Nov 07, 2020, 07:15 PM
Entropy is happening!
Welcome to the forums.
How about posting a link to your other posts?
Nov 08, 2020, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Welcome to the forums.
How about posting a link to your other posts?
Oh, okay. This is my first-ever post on youtube done with one of those super-cheap (and super-lightweight) TV camera/transmitter mounted on a UMX Radian flown from my back yard. As can be seen Steven Spielberg has nothing to fear from me. I was also learning to use Adobe's Premiere Elements at the same time. I've been using Photoshop and Lightroom for years so hoped that the interface would be similar and maybe flatten the learning curve a bit, but that turned out not to be the case. Anyway, there it is:

FPV UMX Radian (3 min 11 sec)

Quick Reply