Oct 28, 2020, 04:31 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Discussion

Props

I asked a question about APC vs Xoar props on the Engine forum. I would like to get as many opinions as possible. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ps-Xoar-vs-APC

If you had an airplane that needed a 12x6 what brand would you pick and why?

to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2020, 04:37 PM
Why not just try both and report your findings?
Oct 28, 2020, 04:58 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I asked a question about APC vs Xoar props on the Engine forum. I would like to get as many opinions as possible. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ps-Xoar-vs-APC

If you had an airplane that needed a 12x6 what brand would you pick and why?

APC....I have been using them for 40 years and they have not failed me. Xoar prop is a late comer. I cannot vouch for their aerodynamic accuracy. So far I have only read that the multi copter guys prefer the Xoar props. I don't trust those guys.
Oct 28, 2020, 05:31 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX View Post
Why not just try both and report your findings?
I am going to order some Xoar props. I want to try a couple of different pitches so I was trying out exactly what to order.

I have used Xoar props in electrics and they are excellent. This will be my first time trying them with an IC engine. Xoar, like APC, makes both EP and IC props and I don't have any Xoar IC props.

Oct 28, 2020, 06:15 PM
Go Gondos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave View Post
APC....I have been using them for 40 years and they have not failed me. Xoar prop is a late comer. I cannot vouch for their aerodynamic accuracy. So far I have only read that the multi copter guys prefer the Xoar props. I don't trust those guys.
Xoar is well established on Giant Scale aircraft,, they work very well,,,

Smaller props? Yeah, I'd still go with a APC on a 40 size glow motor
Oct 28, 2020, 06:27 PM
I use Xoar on my giant scale because they are half the price of carbon props and still provide adequate performance. When I flew smaller airplanes I was a die hard wood prop user really due to safety but there was no question that APC props performed better. I believe that the wood hardness with the Xoars is better than the Zingers so they may be closer to the APC.
Oct 28, 2020, 06:31 PM
APC under 18" and Xoar above.

While flying off grass for the last hundred years or so, I've saved a fortune using APC....
Oct 29, 2020, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
APC under 18" and Xoar above.

While flying off grass for the last hundred years or so, I've saved a fortune using APC....
Yes. APC props will take quite a beating. They are also a true pitch prop and are relatively inexpensive.

carl
Oct 29, 2020, 08:55 AM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
OK I ordered some Xoar props same diameter and pitch as APC. I will do some testing and report back. Weather where I live is not reliable this time of year so it might be a while.

Oct 29, 2020, 11:10 AM
AMA 537620
For me it depends on the size, flying style, ground clearance... For larger engines I tend to use Xoar and on smaller applications, APC nylon... I believe there is quite a bit of discrepancy in the spool up time of a large nylon vs a large wood prop, but maybe it's imagined... Though I'm interested in the Xoar CF props, I may order one for my next build, a 28% Ultimate.

A runner up for wood is Topflite power points, but those are starting to become scarce.
Oct 29, 2020, 05:18 PM
APC for my smaller glow planes. Xoar and Falcon for my giants.

APC is the best for me and what I'm running in small glow engines, performance, affordablity, and all things considered. Up to about 1.20 in a glow engine... really the biggest glow engine I have left is a 1.10 four-stroke, and I use an APC on that.

Everything larger is gas, and uses either a Xoar or Falcon... of which Falcons are just a tad quieter in my experience... both nice props though.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:21 PM
A man with too many toys
Thread OP
The only problem I have found with APC is some cause vibration are are hard to balance. It's strange - some sizes all have good balance and some are almost impossible to balance. Maybe they have some bad molds or they are getting old.

I have read that Xoar props are balanced at the factory - it that really true?

Oct 29, 2020, 06:42 PM
Xoar would generally be pretty close in my experience, but they are still checked. This being because I only use them in the larger sizes.

APC props, any size, are always dulled. Those razor sharp leading and trailing edges remind me of a weapon. So I do that and balance at the same time. When I'm done, they can be flip started with no danger of laying your finger(s) open.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:43 PM
Re xoar being balanced, yes, but that’s true of all the better known larger props.
Last edited by koppterX; Oct 29, 2020 at 06:50 PM.
Oct 29, 2020, 06:59 PM
APC for everything up to 16" then either PT or Falcon CF.

Quick Reply