This thread is privately moderated by AstroHamFlyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 28, 2020, 12:17 AM
Trader Rating: 1
Thread OP
Found

Yellow jacket or similar F3RES, ARF

Got seriously bitten by the gliding bug!

Looking for a pod and boom F3RES, electric or glider. Prefer Yellow Jacket but similar design and similar quality ships are OK too..

Thanks!
-A
Last edited by AstroHamFlyer; Oct 28, 2020 at 07:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2020, 02:01 AM
Trader Rating: 64
Great choice!!

Iíve built the 3.5m RES one recently. Was fast and easy to build. Maybe 20 hrs from box to sky. If you donít find a good used one, get Corky to send you a kit. Thereís no special skills needed and loads of online assistance. Go the GS. Itís brilliant.

Cheers
Oct 28, 2020, 11:22 AM
Thread OP
Thanks!, I have a few offers of kits and love to build but have very little spare time. I'm going to wait to see if someone offers an ARF. If not, I'll get a kit and build it. I don't have large fields to fly at too and am debating getting an electric one. However, I prefer pure gliders. Can the glider be hand launched and have a reasonable chance of catching a thermal from the launch height?

-A

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderguide
Great choice!!

I’ve built the 3.5m RES one recently. Was fast and easy to build. Maybe 20 hrs from box to sky. If you don’t find a good used one, get Corky to send you a kit. There’s no special skills needed and loads of online assistance. Go the GS. It’s brilliant.

Cheers
Oct 28, 2020, 12:04 PM
Trader Rating: 179
DS Junkie
If by hand launched you mean a bungee, yes. If you mean just throwing it, you'll want a DLG for that purpose. It is possible to hand launch these poly planes into thermals but that takes a lot of practice.
Oct 28, 2020, 04:52 PM
It’s possible to hand launch into a thermal. However, it’s not an every day occurrence... I use electric for launch only, and climbs if I get low, based on the convenience of not having to run out a bungee, re run the bungee when the wind shifts etc. I don’t fly around all day with the motor on. I’m time poor so with electric, I take one or two planes to the field, 2-3 batteries per plane. This gives me 5-6 good climbs per battery. I don’t run huge batteries. The 3.5 YJ uses a 1300 3s. $20 ish max. This way, I maximise my effective flying time rather than the task of winch/ bungee etc. I’ve been flying 40 plus years so I’m very familiar with those launch methods and still love them, but for me, convenience wins most days.
I guess the other thing to consider, a line launch bird will take more stress on launch so needs to be built stronger which generally means heavier airframe. The electric components often don’t add significant weigh if the plane is purpose built for electric.
There’s always a raging debate on line vs electric. I don’t enter into that. Whatever works for you to get flying is what works for you.
DLG’s are a lot of fun and very instructive for learning to fly well. They are addictive. There are also many electric conversions and even purpose built stuff for electric. It’s allowing people to fly more, especially if they have physical limitations health wise or space wise that make throwing or line launching challenging.

The YJ goes together fast and accurate. This is true for most modern laser or CNC cut designs. Have a look in the sailplane threads for build logs by Greg McGill aka GlidermanG. He’s built almost everything and he’s a master. His reviews are simple, honest and unbiased. Very informative.
Oct 28, 2020, 05:20 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Screamin' Eagle and gliderguide! I might opt for the electric. Thinking about this to save build time.

https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/produc...de=CD2000-ARTF

How does this compare w.r.t. the YJs? If the YJs are very much superior, I'd rather build from a kit.
Oct 28, 2020, 08:31 PM
If you arenít building, it looks ok. Iím not familiar with how they fly though. I do like Hyperflight and being in Aus, their shipping is fast n well priced. The Slite from them is nice. Have a look for Gregís build of that and Purito. Both available electric or pure. Rather nice.
Oct 29, 2020, 09:36 AM
Trader Rating: 2
Sonoran Laser Art
Our field isn't huge either. I use 10M rubber and 50m line. Stretched it takes the length of a football field which isn't near the length needed for a full size spec F3RES bungee which is almost twice as long. I'm very satisfied with the launch height and it's a lot easier to setup and take down. If you have room and enjoy a little exercise I would go with bungee launch. The walking piece is the big factor between the two. The electrics are a little heavier but with a motor you can launch about as high as you want. Personally I love bungee launching but that's a personal choice and either is fine. I have seen YJ 2M's javelin launched and climb out several times. Larry Jolly can do it repeatedly but it's all about skill and reading the air before you throw it. Very challenging for the avg person.
Oct 30, 2020, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the help and advice, everyone! What a great bunch of folks here!, I got a X-res from a gentleman who really knows how to build, and a YJ 2m kit..Best of both worlds.

Quick Reply