Thread Tools
Oct 27, 2020, 10:18 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

Open letter to anyone considering tricopters


Consider cutting your losses now.
I'm only partially kidding. Truth is this is a super helpful and knowledgeable community that although small is deeply Infected committed.
Which is exactly the problem. Guys like JHlein writes code and gives it away for free.. Man.. this is how he gets ya... He is the crack dealer of tricopters.
I'm a recently recovered tricoptoholic and John is the dealer baby!! He is not the only one slinging dope on this corner, I'm looking at you 1_smugbastard, Litterbug, Tobias, they all got the good stuff........

BTW- If John is having trouble with the tail motor, mortals like us me will spend x10 the time on the thing.

I'll come clean. When I say I'm recovering from the grip of tricopters that would be hopeful at best. Truth is I still cruise through this forum for no reason (other than the occasional stupid post) and shamefully within 10 steps of where I'm sitting typing this I can put my hands on 8 flyable tricopters.

Whole lot of knowledge here. Enjoy the ride. You have been warned.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2020, 09:46 AM
Gravity is patient............
LOL You are correct it is clearly an illness.

I spent years trying to get my LR flying well. Literally from when David first released it to just a few months ago I had nothing but issues with it. I finally got it flying well just recently. I love it, but I have never had such a difficult and cursed project.

The other tricopters from David were fairly simple to get working well. Something about the LR was different. It was cursed.
Oct 31, 2020, 05:29 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

adamcooney1


You nailed it. There is a different sense of accomplishment you get from having forced a tricopter, despite all the challenging factors, to hover with yaw authority. Just the sound they make is part of the reward. Bardwell just tells people there is no reason to build a Tri. They are not for the easily discouraged and that is what makes them special. With a long history of building Multi-rotors, fixed wings, boats, I've never looked at any other RC creation and thought, Wow I've really built something.

Tricopters are Awesome and those who endeavor to build their own are Heros!!

I'll print the t-shirts.
Oct 31, 2020, 05:38 PM
Registered User
Thread OP

Feeling generous


I have an unopened Baby Tricopter frame kit that I could probably pass along to someone for the shipping from Denver, CO. Send me a PM if you feel worthy of a free ish frame. I can't imagine building a third baby tri. That's an indication of having a tricopter problem. ......That's just crazy talk.
Nov 03, 2020, 01:09 PM
Registered User
Adam, I've a tricopter "nano" 2S build that I can no longer fly. Unfortunately BetaFPV isn't interested in updating their FC's firmware to support SBus implementation for EU users. Being that I'm in Germany that puts me in quite a bind. Either I replace the FC and the time it took to tune it or I send it to someone deserving. Can YOU think of anyone? (lol)

Here is the Nano in flight if your interested:
Nano Whirlygig spring flight (3 min 44 sec)


Cheers

Resin
Nov 07, 2020, 07:53 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Smug_Bastard
Adam, I've a tricopter "nano" 2S build that I can no longer fly. Unfortunately BetaFPV isn't interested in updating their FC's firmware to support SBus implementation for EU users. Being that I'm in Germany that puts me in quite a bind. Either I replace the FC and the time it took to tune it or I send it to someone deserving. Can YOU think of anyone? (lol)

Here is the Nano in flight if your interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY7C...4DCResinSmoker

Cheers

Resin
Can I flash F/W for you and send it back?
Nov 08, 2020, 04:47 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcooney1
Can I flash F/W for you and send it back?
Being that I reside in Germany, I have to fly using EU protocols to stay legal. The problem isn't on my end but rather BetaFPV's lack of EU firmware support. Even after emailing their support, I received a reply that amounted to thats nice now piss-off"...


"BETAFPV Support via freshdesk.com
Thu, Nov 5, 10:43 AM (3 days ago)
to me

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Have a good day!"

So yeah, I don't think this is going anywhere and I'm looking for a good home for the little tricopter. Read the following article for further details on how they've disregarded the entire EU with this: https://betafpv.freshdesk.com/suppor...ntroller-users
Last edited by 1Smug_Bastard; Nov 08, 2020 at 04:58 AM.
Nov 08, 2020, 08:00 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Smug_Bastard
Being that I reside in Germany, I have to fly using EU protocols to stay legal. The problem isn't on my end but rather BetaFPV's lack of EU firmware support. Even after emailing their support, I received a reply that amounted to thats nice now piss-off"...


"BETAFPV Support via freshdesk.com
Thu, Nov 5, 10:43 AM (3 days ago)
to me

Hi,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Have a good day!"

So yeah, I don't think this is going anywhere and I'm looking for a good home for the little tricopter. Read the following article for further details on how they've disregarded the entire EU with this: https://betafpv.freshdesk.com/suppor...ntroller-users
Did you want to trade for my Baby Tri Frame kit?
I could even throw in a RCE Servo with FB Wire.
Nov 08, 2020, 03:52 PM
Registered User
I'm looking for a good F7 Controller and PDB to update my Tricopter-Mini with. Currently it is still using David's integrated F3 controller, which basically can't be run with anything except the older versions of Triflight / dRonin.

http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=f722-std
http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=fchub-w



Till then shoot me your US mailing address and I'll see about sending you the Whirlygig-Nano!

1SB
Last edited by 1Smug_Bastard; Nov 08, 2020 at 04:21 PM.
Nov 08, 2020, 04:59 PM
Registered User
Stay away from the F722. It does not have enough flash memory to deal with Betaflight or iNav when they are integrated with the triflight routines.
Nov 08, 2020, 05:53 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by jihlein
Stay away from the F722. It does not have enough flash memory to deal with Betaflight or iNav when they are integrated with the triflight routines.
Thank you
Dec 06, 2020, 02:02 PM
Registered User
Adam, you get the goodies I sent ya?

Side note: I’ll be in Tampa FL to visit the relatives some time around Aug 2021. If your in the area, we could meet up and fly.
Dec 07, 2020, 12:09 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Smug_Bastard
Adam, you get the goodies I sent ya?

Side note: I’ll be in Tampa FL to visit the relatives some time around Aug 2021. If your in the area, we could meet up and fly.
I have not brother. Keeping an eye out now knowing you sent stuff. I wonder now that DJI would be coming out with new goggles you can find first generation set pretty cheap I would hope and I got you an air unit if that’s the way we want to go.
Dec 07, 2020, 01:21 PM
Registered User

Thank god


Thank God I bought a bunch of mini KK Controllers when they were cheap!
Dec 19, 2020, 05:56 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Hi bk100,

I've been looking for the mini KK board (the one with just the display on top) some time now, without result.
Would you be willing to part with (at least) one? The stock KK is just too wide for my mini LR tri.

Regards, Jan.

P.S.:What's with the huge fonts in your post?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rant Open Letter to Hubsan bpoo Vendor Talk 1 Sep 18, 2016 07:43 PM
Discussion An Open Letter To Evangelical Republicans Deadstick 8409 Life, The Universe, and Politics 48 Aug 06, 2016 10:28 PM
Discussion CEO Blasts ‘Crybaby College Students’ In Open Letter kenpoprofessor Life, The Universe, and Politics 132 Apr 28, 2016 01:51 AM
Discussion An open letter to Sarah Palin Sonny McGhee Life, The Universe, and Politics 5 Jan 24, 2016 10:42 PM
Discussion Open letter to the FAA IBCrazy FPV Talk 28 Dec 25, 2015 06:31 PM