Oct 27, 2020, 04:54 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Next plane after Timber X?

I'm already thinking about another plane for next summer. Looking for suggestions on a step up from the Timber X. I'm not into 3D but I like having that extra power to get out of trouble if needed. Nothing wrong with my timber....I really enjoy flying it, Just want to buy another plane, and I don't want to end up with something I'll get bored with. Any Ideas?
to remove ads between posts
Oct 27, 2020, 05:39 PM
DFS#000178
Was your Timber your first plane? How much experience do you have? Do you find yourself relying on SAFE? What kind of flying field do you have? Do you prefer scale or sport models? Warbirds? Civilian aircraft? Jets? Looking to go bigger or smaller than the Timber? Looking to use the same batteries?
Oct 28, 2020, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Was your Timber your first plane? How much experience do you have? Do you find yourself relying on SAFE? What kind of flying field do you have? Do you prefer scale or sport models? Warbirds? Civilian aircraft? Jets? Looking to go bigger or smaller than the Timber? Looking to use the same batteries?
I just bought the Timber X this past spring and I've been flying it without safe since day one. Started with low rates and moved on to high rates. I used to fly glow powered planes about 18 years ago and was self taught on a duraplane. Well....that was after I crashed several kit built planes trying to learn...lol. No club fields near me at the time, so I was on my own. I flew that duraplane for probably 2 years and eventually built and successfully flown an Eagle 2 trainer, Big Stik 40, and an Ultra Sport 40 ARF. I have a couple others that I built back in the day that never seen the air. A Sig Somethin' Extra (recently converted to electric) which I'll probably wait to fly until next summer, and an 90% completed Super Skybolt which I'll go electric with also. With that said....I would say that I'm an Intermediate pilot that is a little rusty. I was thinking an Extra 300 or Sbach 342 ???? Not sure If I'm ready to make that jump yet, but I now have a club field near me, and I'll have people who can help me with the transition to more advanced planes. I'm thinking 1.2 - 1.5M is about the largest I want to go right now.
Oct 28, 2020, 05:13 PM
SIG Somethin' Extra's a great flying plane.
Very versatile & with the throws tamed down, it's as easy to fly as many trainer planes.
Oct 28, 2020, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66
SIG Somethin' Extra's a great flying plane.
Very versatile & with the throws tamed down, it's as easy to fly as many trainer planes.
I believe this is what I had heard about the Somethin' Extra when I decided to build it back then. I spent some time this summer converting it to electric and gave it a new covering job. I still want to change all the hinges because I don't trust the CA hinges that were installed over 18 years ago. Next summer it will get it's maiden flight.
Oct 28, 2020, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber X
I believe this is what I had heard about the Somethin' Extra when I decided to build it back then. I spent some time this summer converting it to electric and gave it a new covering job. I still want to change all the hinges because I don't trust the CA hinges that were installed over 18 years ago. Next summer it will get it's maiden flight.
Nice
Oct 28, 2020, 09:51 PM
I suggest trying the Conscendo Evolution. It's a nice compromise between a traditional plane and a glider. It retains its momentum much better than something like the Timber. It's quite cool to see the plane glide across an entire football field without any power and the whoosh of a high speed gliding pass is pretty awesome. This newest version can be much faster than the first two Conscendo releases. I also have a Night Radian, but it's nowhere near as enjoyable as the Conscendos.
Oct 29, 2020, 07:30 AM
CR5
CR5
Sounds like you already have your next plane.
Perhaps something along the lines of a radio upgrade might be more useful if you're still on a 6 channel radio.

If you can fly the Timber without SAFE and are comfortable you'll have no problems with the Extra or pretty much any plane.

If you're not into 3D type flying what does interest you?
I've got a Timber-X but didn't let that stop me from buying the 2.1m Carbon Z Cub, it's not as aerobatic as the T-x but it's huge and flies great, it's a lot of fun playing bush pilot with it but it's not really doing anything I can't do with the T-x.

Does flying fast appeal to you? There are plenty of fast planes out there to play with if you've got a flying area open enough to get them back on the ground.

Warbirds? I think my favorite planes are my P-51's and Corsair's. They're a bit of a handful on the ground but they're fast and smooth in the air. Don't let the ground handling scare you away though, it's nothing a little practice won't overcome, it's all about being smooth.
Oct 29, 2020, 05:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CR5
Sounds like you already have your next plane.
Perhaps something along the lines of a radio upgrade might be more useful if you're still on a 6 channel radio.

If you can fly the Timber without SAFE and are comfortable you'll have no problems with the Extra or pretty much any plane.

If you're not into 3D type flying what does interest you?
I've got a Timber-X but didn't let that stop me from buying the 2.1m Carbon Z Cub, it's not as aerobatic as the T-x but it's huge and flies great, it's a lot of fun playing bush pilot with it but it's not really doing anything I can't do with the T-x.

Does flying fast appeal to you? There are plenty of fast planes out there to play with if you've got a flying area open enough to get them back on the ground.

Warbirds? I think my favorite planes are my P-51's and Corsair's. They're a bit of a handful on the ground but they're fast and smooth in the air. Don't let the ground handling scare you away though, it's nothing a little practice won't overcome, it's all about being smooth.
I guess I'm more into sport flying right now but 3D is not out of the question for the future. I've been messing around with Aerofly 7.5 flight simulator all summer, and have been experimenting with 3D but I'm not sure how realistic it is. Fast planes are cool but I prefer something that can slow down for easy landing. Space is limited around here, so I've been using a high school baseball field. I'll be a member of a club for next flying season, so space will not be a problem. Transmitter upgrade is on my list for next summer. P-51 sounds interesting and I'm sure it will be on my bucket list. I watched some video's on the Dynam Sbach and it looks like a nice plane, but reading reviews of quality issues has me thinking otherwise.

Quick Reply